Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: automaticdownloading  (Read 8496 times)
rudcrustage
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 06, 2007, 11:38:05 PM »

for anyone who hasnt done so yet, in order to play mod servers or recieve new maps, you must go to SETTINGS -> GAME OPTIONS - > AUTOMATICDOWNLOADING (at the bottom) and turn it ON

im sure this has been touched on many many times before, but why oh why isnt it default on? it doesnt make sense, enemy territory has it on by default, and its been doin great for years...

theres tons of guys who get this game from all over the world, and not all of them speak english, so theyll never find this option... and then theres all the kids who dont even know about it.. i think open arena would flourish and do so much better if everyone had the ability to play any server they wanted...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:51:45 PM »

im sure this has been touched on many many times before, but why oh why isnt it default on? it doesnt make sense, enemy territory has it on by default, and its been doin great for years...

Security reasons.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:32:51 AM »

As far as I know there have been one example of a hole in the games Virtual machine. Then again this also happens for browsers all the time and the problem for ioquake is considerable smaller.

However I believe that the original reason for turning it of was to avoid filling the users base-dir with all sorts of files. This is a limited problem now as the autodownloaded files no longer goes into the game-dir.

A third problem is that a downloaded pk3-file might eventually destroy the gameplay. I have once connected to a server in Soldier of Fortune 2 and got a patch that changed the weapon damage also for games I later hosted at a LAN party. It was fun but it could eventually be used in a bad way.

I however generally agree that a game that is modable isn't worth much without autodownload.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 08:58:46 AM »

Oh, I wrote half a book on this page.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:32:57 AM »

Oh, I wrote half a book on this page.

i tried going into that it said i was off limits?

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 05:53:24 AM »

i tried going into that it said i was off limits?
The forum administrator did not like the contents of that post and hence removed the entire topic.
You can have a T-Ford in any color you want, as long as it is black Smiley

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 06:14:58 AM »

ohhhhh ok

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: