Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA for Kubuntu - where is it??  (Read 8435 times)
Mike Dolan
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 04, 2007, 04:13:55 PM »

I'm setting up a new install of Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty. On the previous one I remember playing Open Arena. But now I can't even find it on the Adept download page. Isn't OA available for Kubuntu users anymore?
digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 04:41:33 PM »

It's available in App Menu > Add and Remove Programs > Games. I have it installed, but won't work for some reason (it's the only reason I've been using Windows lately), I think it may have something to do with OpenGL... still haven't figured that one out and I really wanted the Euphoria screen saver to work, but it lags severely (ie: runs 1 frame per 2 - 3 seconds).

DH

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:58:40 PM »

IIRC there was some talks for the 0.7 on Kubuntu reps. not taking place, not sure how the situation is on this now though, just something I recall in the back of my head hearing.
Get it from modDB and apply the 0.7.1 patch while you are at it.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 12:13:09 AM »

Make sure you have all the Fiesty Repos enabled in the source list. You can do this from Adept >> Manage Repositories.

Also the version in Ubuntu/Kubuntu Repos is out of date(0.6). I recommend downloading the 0.7.0 version and applying the 0.7.1 patch. Simple to install just extract to your home directory.

On the Note about Opengl make sure you have the right graphic drivers installed.
If its nvidia make sure you have the nvidia-glx installed then type sudo nvidia-glx-config enable in a Terminal.
If you have an ATi card install the ATi drivers either fglrx or the open source versions depending.
digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:20:00 AM »

On the Note about Opengl make sure you have the right graphic drivers installed.
If its nvidia make sure you have the nvidia-glx installed then type sudo nvidia-glx-config enable in a Terminal.
If you have an ATi card install the ATi drivers either fglrx or the open source versions depending.

I used Envy to install the ATI drivers and Catalyst shows all is working properly.

Also, I wasn't aware of the repo having the old version of OA, I appreciate that info as well.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 04:41:36 AM »

To make sure your openGL is running type glxgears in a terminal a little program of 3D cogs should appear and smoothly rotate. If it starts to stutter and jerk OpenGL isn't setup correctly. Smiley
digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 05:14:34 AM »

To make sure your openGL is running type glxgears in a terminal a little program of 3D cogs should appear and smoothly rotate. If it starts to stutter and jerk OpenGL isn't setup correctly. Smiley

The gears run smoothly for about 3 seconds then it paused once per rotation a couple times followed by running so poorly that it appeared to be going backwards... I'm assuming that means OpenGL isn't setup right. Any ideas? I've pretty much just stayed away from OpenGL before trying OA.

DH

Edit: forgot to mention that I'm using an 8x AGP 256MB ATI Radeon 1950 card.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:16:55 AM by digitalhead » Logged

digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 06:31:42 AM »

Nevermind, I got it working using a guide at http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Feisty_Installation_Guide#Installation

Now, glfxgears is getting about 1750 fps. OA is working flawlessly and my screensaver looks great. Cheesy

DH

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 07:13:27 AM »

Yep your got 3D acceleration working properly now. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: