Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: computer always shuts off Help!!!  (Read 12876 times)
skullzaxe
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: June 24, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »

I am having trouble playing open arena because when ever i play the game for about 6 min my computer shuts off. I tried fixing it. It doesn't do that with other software or programs. I called the computer corpartion and they don't now what it is so if you guys now why please tell
Keet
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic..."

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »

I think you'd have to give us a little more info if you want us to help you, because we can't really just tell what's the problem from just the words "computer shutting off". Like, for instance, what happens as it shuts down? Do you get the blue screen of death? (basically that's the screen where your computer is dumping its physical memory after it crashes) Or does it just turn off like it normally would? Or just flashes off as if you pulled the plug?

I'd assume, however, if it's not a virus that's doing the shutting down (unlikely), it's probably because your computer can't handle Open Arena (check the game requirements), although I kind of find that highly unlikely since requirements are actually quite low. Do you use an old computer? A computer of 1998/1999 era is actually enough to play, so you shouldn't have any problems unless it's older or there's something else that's wrong. You should take a look at your computer's hardware and see if they are fit for OA.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 05:03:22 PM by Keet » Logged

Pronouns are evil!

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic... It sounds... like me!" ~~B.B. Hood

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 06:16:26 PM »

From the limited information you provided (Does this happen on games that use the GPU and CPU more intensivel, e.g. Doom 3, Quake 4?  Or is it just OA?) I'd say it is a hardware problem.

skullzaxe
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 06:54:40 PM »

well it just turns off ans takes awhile to turn back on some times it says tcd temputer error then it turns back off and i turn it back on and it works then it says windows/system23/ error  and i have a xp 2003 and have the reqarements for so. sometimes my game stops because it the game just disperred and it said server busy and that happens for every game i have
Keet
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic..."

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 07:39:59 PM »

I know you say you have the system requirements, but can you tell us some of your system specs? (RAM, CPU, video card, and vid ram should do) Might help more to solve the problem, because some things that do have the requirements can be buggy (like the Geforce 4 or FX, least that's what I think I've heard)

As for how it turns off and on and that such, um, I'm no expert there, so I'll leave someone else to answer that (or at least try to)

Pronouns are evil!

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic... It sounds... like me!" ~~B.B. Hood

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 08:11:01 PM »

well it just turns off ans takes awhile to turn back on some times it says tcd temputer error then it turns back off

Something in your computer is overheating.  This is a hardware problem and the manufacturer should take care of it.

Taiyo.uk
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 10:51:53 PM »

Aye. It's sounds like overheating. If the computer is still under warranty then call the manufacturer. Else find which part is overheating and upgrade or repair it's cooling equipment. Check for broken fans and incorrectly fitted heatsinks.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 06:42:40 AM »

it's probably because your computer can't handle Open Arena (check the game requirements

No.

No computer would shut down because it is too slow to run the game. It is likely overheating, and running a game with high cpu/gpu usage would _not_ make it overheat. Poor ventilation and/or dodgy computer componements or overclocking would. (Or something along those lines.)
skullzaxe
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 09:26:13 AM »

well my graphics card is higher then the requirements. Um I think i found the problem with my computer is that my heatsink is not working right i think im going to get someone to look at it when i get the money or get a new computer but may i ask if you got vista will it still work for open arena???
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 09:37:17 AM »

Sounds like an overheating problem.

This only happens when you play OpenArena?What about other 3D games?

Download a program for Windows that will tell you the temperature. Then find your idle temperature. Start OA and run it for a few minutes then close, check your temperature again. If it ridiculously higher (like verging on the 100C Celsius range) then you need better ventilation. I cant give you exact temperature to look out for as these vary, depending on the CPU.

Although it sounds like you got an AMD. As intel processors slow down the hotter they get to stop them from exploding.

Also what kind of base unit do you have? Tower, mini tower? etc.
What wattage is the PSU?
Does it have good ventilation?
Are there fans mounted to the base unit? Are they blowing air in or sucking air out?

Need more info to help you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 09:40:15 AM by kit89 » Logged
skullzaxe
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 11:00:59 AM »

im not sure but can someone tell me what system 32 is because everytime i play open arena and it shuts down and the i turn it back it says system 32 error so can some one tell me what that is
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 02:34:18 PM »

system32 is where alot of windows Operating System files are contained(".dll").

The system32 is named because at the time 16-bit processors where the norm and 32-bit was creeping up. So instead of dumping all the 32-bit ".dll"s in the System16 directory it got its very own directory called System32. If you want to know more check out wikipedia on better information. Smiley

I would recommend you do not touch the System32 directory. As this is very important and any tampering will most likely screw your machine. However I'd suggest you go to your c:/ drive and do a disk error check. It sounds like you may have some corrupt files.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: