Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gentoo x86_64 black screen on startup  (Read 8077 times)
HeadHunter
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 06, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »

Hello.
 I'm using Gentoo amd x86_64 with latest nvidia driver for my ge-force 6150. So after I install the game system-wide via portage it just crashes to black screen.(0.8.1) When I unzip the game as user to my homedir it just works with same config. Both the package manager and myself use the SAME .zip archive. The only difference is destination folder. I saw installscript - it just unzips and installs to /usr/games/ . Maybe it is just gentoo bug, so I am going to file this to gentoo devs also, but probably you should look out for running from readonly storage.
Remove this post if you think i'm wrong.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:32:54 PM »

Hi and welcome Wink

List of bugs :
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&query_format=&short_desc_type=allwords&short_desc=openarena

I think I've already seen the bug you mentionned, so if you google it there may be solutions. IIRC it was specific to gentoo, their ebuild may not be perfect.

I'm using gentoo too, but i'm not using their ebuild (downloaded OA from main website).
I haven't got problems with it, it runs fine.

Todo: Walk the cat.
HeadHunter
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:48:10 AM »

Ok, I'm also playing OA well from my own homedir. However, something must be done=) Anyway, I can supply info, but I'm not going to fix this=)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 04:30:54 AM »

The version supplied by us has no problem running from a read only storage.

I don't have Gentoo but it looks like that they use some different compile flags (Gentoo does that for optimization purposes). The engine was written a long time ago and a lot of the flags in the Makefile are there for a reason.

If the Gentoo build works for other Gentoo users then the problem might be with your openAL setup. The official binaries cannot find openAL on most new Linux distributions and will do fallback to the more stable SDL sound.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
HeadHunter
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 09:31:36 AM »

In fact the Gentoo setup does not find openAL disregarding install method and settings.=) I don't know why, but Spring (ta-spring.com) does find openAL easily on the same system. Probably you could borrow their code=) It is also open-source.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: