Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just to say....  (Read 6513 times)
Gordo
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: November 24, 2007, 07:53:22 AM »

Only got my Linux os last week, surprised and very happy to get Open Arena on my system, the game plays well, and i've been venturing into the multiplayer worlds... Firstly want to say many thanks to all those behind the game, the creators, inventers, and writers... I enjoy the total immersion i get when i play, however i have a couple of questions :
1) How would i know if the server that im playing Multiplayer on has cheats activated ?
2) How much difference does "Ping* time make, say im 150 ping, and some one is in single figures, does that mean they have less *Lag*?

Just been finding that im slowly improving, but some players seem too fast and i could spray them with bullets, one shot by them and SpLaT... Im yet another frag...

Once again, thanks for everything, the site, game, and all the info. Best wishes to all playing and creating.

Gordo
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 08:33:02 AM »

Usually servers are never configured with cheats (with exception for Defrag/Training servers at times) but if you are not sure, then a good, and easy, way to check is to type:
Code:
/give all
(for example) and if you get all weapons from start, then chances are that you play on a server with cheats. Your ping does not really matter, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. With that being said, it is easier for someone with a ping of 15 to hit with a railgun compared to someone with ping 350, but both are equally possible. Nut in short, yes: lower ping = less lag.

Use the 'lag-o-meter' to check how your network is configured for the game, a more detailed explanation of it you can find here: http://gameadmins.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=5

One thing you can do to try and improve your ping is through settings. Now, depending on your hardware/network configuration, these numbers might vary, but try something like:
Code:
/snaps 50, /rate 25000 and /cl_maxpackets 125
. Good luck and welcome to the game.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

Gordo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 11:06:30 AM »

Usually servers are never configured with cheats (with exception for Defrag/Training servers at times) but if you are not sure, then a good, and easy, way to check is to type:
Code:
/give all
(for example) and if you get all weapons from start, then chances are that you play on a server with cheats. Your ping does not really matter, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. With that being said, it is easier for someone with a ping of 15 to hit with a railgun compared to someone with ping 350, but both are equally possible. Nut in short, yes: lower ping = less lag.

Use the 'lag-o-meter' to check how your network is configured for the game, a more detailed explanation of it you can find here: http://gameadmins.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=5

One thing you can do to try and improve your ping is through settings. Now, depending on your hardware/network configuration, these numbers might vary, but try something like:
Code:
/snaps 50, /rate 25000 and /cl_maxpackets 125
. Good luck and welcome to the game.

Cheers for the info, i try to stick to servers with lower ping from now on, simple noobie question, where would i type the *give all* command, in a terminal ? or somewhere in Open Arena ?

G
Phenax
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 12:29:32 PM »

Press the ~ key in-game (or in the game menu) and it will pop down a little 'console' where you can enter in commands. It's standard in Quake games, and most FPS games.
Gordo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »

Press the ~ key in-game (or in the game menu) and it will pop down a little 'console' where you can enter in commands. It's standard in Quake games, and most FPS games.
Thank you, will try it now, see how it goes...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: