Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena - A History Of His Players  (Read 24447 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »

AFAIK:
For males: his
For females: her
For things: its

I guess OA is a thing. Tongue
My native language (Danish) does not have three options... it has four.

Many languages does only have two sexes so that everything must be either female or male. The sex usually moves with then speaking other languages.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 11:49:21 AM »

My native language (Danish) does not have three options... it has four.

Many languages does only have two sexes so that everything must be either female or male. The sex usually moves with then speaking other languages.
Don't get that last part, but how do you mean 4? He (male), she (female), it (neutral), and bi (bisexual) or what Tongue
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »

Don't get that last part, but how do you mean 4? He (male), she (female), it (neutral), and bi (bisexual) or what Tongue
Male, female, neutral and none (ham, hende, den, det). Technically the last one isn't a sex but it still has its own word. A boy is male, a girl is female, a car is neutral and a house is neither. Nobody can explain the difference between the last two and therefore "none" is dying.

Just like it can be hard to explain neutral ("it") to someone with a language with only he and she.

German is even more funny because they got three sexes: A boy is male, most animals are female and a girl is neutral.

The above things can't be explained logically they just are there for historical reasons.

Disclaimer:
I am not good at languages. I every test I had in them was a near failure.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »

I am not good at languages. I every test I had in them was a near failure.

Like i did... Smiley
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »

Hungarian is the simplest in this aspect. Not only do we lack grammatical genders (der, die, das) but we also lack the different pronouns like he/she. We only have different pronouns for living persons and objects. That creates funny situations when Hungarian English learners ignore the genders, like: "My girlfriend is pretty and _he_ loves me." Smiley

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »

In Italian we have only 2 grammatical genders (all is male or female... for example, usually a certain tree is male, and its fruit is female). But a lot of words change by gender (like actor/actress in English... we can say "gatto" for a male cat and "gatta" for a female cat), and there are some words that change gender when going plural! And there are many particular cases, for example, to say "you", there is a word for singolar and one for plural... but when talking in official-impersonal way, you can say the plural word for "you" also to a single person, or even the word for "she" (still meaning "you")!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:31:35 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »

Dutch has two genders: 'de' and 'het'. De is male, het is everything else - or something. I (ofc) use it naturally right so I'm actually not really sure Tongue IIRC actually we also had a third 'des' but that's like 100 years ago (or something in that order, could be 50 or 200 as well).

@Udi, lol. In Dutch we not only have he and she, but also two variants for 'you': 'je' and 'u'. U is more formal (ur boss, grandparents and/or parents - depends, teachers), and je is for friends and children. Nowadays it's less often formal than in the past, but still u is used enough (think it'll take some time to really disappear).
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 08:49:28 AM »

That creates funny situations when Hungarian English learners ignore the genders, like: "My girlfriend is pretty and _he_ loves me." Smiley

This comes as an assist for a general rule that should be received as the most important thing while learning a foreign ( non native ) language : the first you learn to _THINK_ directly in the foreign language without translating in your native language , the first you will be able not to make those kind of mistakes and to talk/write correctly the language itself.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »

Male, female, neutral and none (ham, hende, den, det). Technically the last one isn't a sex but it still has its own word. A boy is male, a girl is female, a car is neutral and a house is neither. Nobody can explain the difference between the last two and therefore "none" is dying.

This has sense for me . Maybe "den" is used for "animated" , mobile things and "det" for static things.

Just like it can be hard to explain neutral ("it") to someone with a language with only he and she.
German is even more funny because they got three sexes: A boy is male, most animals are female and a girl is neutral.

The above things can't be explained logically they just are there for historical reasons.

Neutral gender has its historical roots in the ancient roman latin language , which has 3 genders : male, female , neutral and names have cases ( nominative, genitive, accusative , vocative , ablative ) which makes it a language with a strict logic.

I've studied it for 5 years at high school back in the days , and surprisily at a scientific oriented high school. When I've tried to understand why we studied 5 years this ancient language at a scientific oriented school , it seemed to not find any reasonable enough motivation for that.

For sure the influence of the Roman Church gives a lot of contribution for mantaining it and so also for studing of the Roman law which is the base of our juridic system.

But by a scientific point of view , there are at least two reasons for studing it :
- the strict logical structure of the language , which makes the language itself a good mental train for building logical processes.
- because the Roman Latin was the official language for international scientific pubblications and it was replaced by english language only in the 20th century. If you want to read the original Galilei's or Newton's pubblications you need to know Roman Latin language.

Of course this has not any sense for the mass of "the inter<<D>>et people" or even all the "post-'89" european generations, it's waste, spam for the other side of the Atlantic ocean.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »

Of course this has not any sense for the mass of "the inter<<D>>et people" or even all the "post-'89" european generations, it's waste, spam for the other side of the Atlantic ocean.

ymmd!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: