Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena CustomVote [Custom Commands]  (Read 9875 times)
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« on: October 15, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »

as ive been playing openarena for sometime ive came across alot of things such as certain servers have custom votes to them?

such as : railjumping

speedy rockets and stuff

more specfic oanage servers and the old alpha servers contained custom votes for bots and new map rotations and rail jumps and other stuff is there anywhere that shows ALL the possible custom votes and how to activate them?

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 05:38:18 AM »

I suppose custom votes would in theory allow to set any server variable (including DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options]special game options).

Anyway, I'm not very informed about custom votes. It would be nice to have a "voting" page on the wiki, to explain normal and custom votes. For the moment, you can take a look to this post for custom votes.

PS: I don't know if there is a variable that allows to enable rail jump in baseoa... I've only seen it in some mods..

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 06:52:54 AM »

There normally isn't railjump in stock OA.

Custom votes are elaborated by server admins, it's their job to implement this or that effect, since this is precisely what CUSTOM votes are for.

Todo: Walk the cat.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:00:29 AM »

I am asking how do i get these kind of features i seen many things like rail jumping and rail rockets and stuff like no damage from rocket jumps i wanna know how to do these things to make the server more diffrent than others

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:27:57 AM »

Wait... are you asking "How do I (as the server admin) enable X, Y, Z features?" or "How can I (as the server admin) set custom votes to allow standard players to enable or disable such X, Y, Z options when they wish?"

Well, first you have to find the options you wish.
See:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Gamemodes
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Configuration_examples

Some features aren't in "baseoa" at all... in this case you have to use a mod:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mod
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_mods
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mods
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat

Info about making a server:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer

Console commands (you may find some command you may be interested to):
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console (take a look to the externals links there, too)
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Console_Commands

Custom votes: at the moment you can read this post.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »

Thanks gig well im asking for BOTH

and how to CALLVOTES for unlagged rail rockets diffrent map rotations and other mods and features is what im realying trying to figure

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »

Well, I don't know custom votes enough, but if they allow to use any command, maybe they can be used to run "exec rotation1.cfg" or "exec rotation2.cfg" (each .cfg file containing a different map rotation script), e.g rotation1 with small maps and rotataion2 with big maps. This could be a very nice thing!

But I'm not sure if it would effectively work... can anyone confirm?

To enable "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options#Instantgib]all rockets" or "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options#Instantgib]instagib" (all rail) special game options, you can use custom votes to set them (when enabling one option, remember to disable the other one).
Unlagged rocket-rail is a mod... I don't know if it is possible to load a mod from a command, inside the game (it is possible to set fs_game from the Operating system command line, once you are inside, fs_game variable looks "read-only" and I don't know if there is some workaround for that, except using the main menu option from the GUI).
PS: I suppose (but never tested!) that old mods (those that are not based upon OA 0.8.5, but upon previous versions of OA or upon Q3A), like DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Unlagged_Rocket_Rail]Unlagged Rocket Rail, do not support custom votes, that were not available in the original game.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 03:23:42 AM »

But I'm not sure if it would effectively work... can anyone confirm?
Yes, that's the way it works.

Todo: Walk the cat.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 06:46:38 AM »

i worked with Bioxide yesterday and i got the custom votes to work but not the mods we didnt get to that yet , anybody know how to do it like oanage?

Gerbil maybe?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 06:56:06 AM »

I could be wrong, but I think that old mods will never support custom votes.

Cutom votes were not part of Quake3, but have been introduced with OpenArena 0.8.5 (right?), and they are managed by the QVM (quake virtual machine, what is updated by DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OAX]OAX... the "game logic" part of the game).
Mods have their own virtual machine, created by mod makers starting from a certain "base" virtual machine... so "game logic" things are hard-coded into the mod itself and I fear they cannot be updated by us (probably not even using a specific patch, considering that we don't have access to the mod's source code). I'm not sure, but I think it is more or less this way... So only "new" mods, based upon OpenArena virtual machine (Aftershock?), may include such OpenArena-specific features.

Guys, please correct me if needed.

Swaggerall, if I misunderstood what you asked, please repeat: if you were simply searching for generic tips about using mods, you can take a look DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods]here.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:42:17 AM by Gig » Logged

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 07:42:03 AM »

That's correct, you can not (easily) add functionality to existing QVMs.
There are several methods; one is to decompile and try to add whatever you want. This is similar to the approach used by software cracks and rather difficult.
You can add some features by editing the engine itself, e.g. adding or overriding commands. The culprit here is that the engine does not know about most structures internal to the game module (e.g. a player's admin level).
Similar to the above, you could hook into the QVM communication, like Quake3 Mod Manager (QMM) did. Same limitations as the modified engine.
Another idea is to add callback functions into the game logic and add support for scripting languages like Lua (iirc there were mods for etpub which did this. But they only work with the gamecode as a shared library rather than QVM or with a heavily modified engine). This needs to be well planned and done before any mods are released, since they need to be based on that new architecture. So not applicable to modify existing mods.

Since the target here seems to be rather easy, i.e. triggering existing logic in gamecode or engine (exec, set etc.), much like rcon does, this could be done from within the engine. I would however not recommend this Smiley

This space is for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: