Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea for weapon options  (Read 12444 times)
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« on: May 18, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »

I've been playing around with the elimination_ variables and disable_ variables for a couple weeks now, and found it odd that there aren't any options to set initial weapons/ammo for regular (non-elimination) games.  Maybe I'm sick, but the idea of a FFA with just Mine launchers appeals to me.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »

you are sick  Grin

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:33:17 PM »

There is a CVAR called g_elimination that uses the items from elimination in ordinary gametypes. It is like all rockets really. No health unless you also experiment with g_vampire or g_regen.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »

Nice!  Smiley I wrote about that DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console#Special_game_options]on the Wiki, okay?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »

Ah, very nice.  I've been directly tweaking them in q3config.cfg, and somehow managed to miss those options.  That should be perfect.  And yes, I'm a bit twisted  Smiley

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:59:44 AM »

Somone knows which cvars are needed to enable "instantgib" or "all rockets" optional modes from console instead of using skirmish menu?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:38:21 AM »

Somone knows which cvars are needed to enable "instantgib" or "all rockets" optional modes from console instead of using skirmish menu?
g_instantgib (0=off, 1=rail-only, 2=rail+gauntlet) and g_rockets

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 04:05:22 AM »

DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console#Special_game_options]Thank you!
Do you also know all the commands to control "damage" options? I think there were one for "friendly fire", one for "self" damage (with your weapons), one for "landing" (falling) damage and one for "world damage" (like lava), but I'm not sure...

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 04:43:03 AM »

There is only one:
elimination_selfdamage: 0 = no damge to self or team, 1 = only damage to self, 2 = damage to self and team
Selfdamage is both fall and weapon. Lava damage is always on (in case the player dropped of the map) and deals extreme damage during warmup (to force a quick respawn before the round starts)

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 05:07:52 AM »

Uhm... I see it's an "elimination" command... but "friendly fire" option exists from long time before "elimination mode" was created (if I'm not wrong, see skirmish - CTF under Q3A)...

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »

Uhm... I see it's an "elimination" command... but "friendly fire" option exists from long time before "elimination mode" was created (if I'm not wrong, see skirmish - CTF under Q3A)...
Elimination by design ignores the friendly fire option used in non-elimination gametypes.

Note that it is wrong that the CVARs are called "elimination*" they should of course be called "g_elimination_*" because they control server logic but they do not because Elimination started as an independent mod.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »

Do you mean that, outside elimination mode, there is no way to disable self, landing and world damage? Anyway, what's the command for "friendly fire"?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 10:08:48 AM »

Do you mean that, outside elimination mode, there is no way to disable self, landing and world damage?

Anyway, what's the command for "friendly fire"?
That is correct. There never was.

g_friendlyfire - It has always been more or less broken and turning it on is generally inadvisable. I believe it was included to help people who wanted to create mods that needed the functionality.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »

g_friendlyfire - It has always been more or less broken and turning it on is generally inadvisable. I believe it was included to help people who wanted to create mods that needed the functionality.

:-/ Skirmish menu from Q3A includes "fliendly fire" option (default is enabled for TDM and disabled for CTF, if I'm not wrong). I didn't play TDM and CTF too much (I played OSP Clan Arena much more) and I wasn't used to shoot at my teammates, but I didn't noticed big bugs in this function...

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »

but I didn't noticed big bugs in this function...
There is nothing technically wrong but that doesn't mean that it complete or that it works.

Basically it has one flaw: There is no way to tell that it is on. Not even by killing teammates!

This might not sound like much but in a game where everyone expects it to be off this is a big problem it is even bigger a problem because the game does not tell you about teamkill giving the impression that killing teammates is good!

There are games that tries to trick you into shooting teammates but I don't remember any other games that congratulated you for doing so in multiplayer. This suggest that nobody cared about the friendly fire functionality and therefore didn't finish it.

I tries to add the TEAMKILL message to 0.8.5 (I needed it because crush kills cannot acknowledge friendly fire setting correctly without breaking balance ) but as it was pointed out in another thread this functionality is broken in 0.8.5 and will not be fixed before 0.8.6.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 03:35:27 PM »

Basically it has one flaw: There is no way to tell that it is on. Not even by killing teammates!
[...]
I tries to add the TEAMKILL message to 0.8.5 (I needed it because crush kills cannot acknowledge friendly fire setting correctly without breaking balance ) but as it was pointed out in another thread this functionality is broken in 0.8.5 and will not be fixed before 0.8.6.

What?
I just tried a TDM with only me and one team-mate in baseq3 (v1.32c) and then in baseoa (v 0.8.5)
Baseq3, friendly fire on:
- If I shoot a teammate, he dies.
- If he's a bot, he complains about me.
- Team scores -1.
- "-1" floats over teammate's body for a second
Baseq3, friendly fire off:
- I can shoot my teammate as I wish, he doesn't die.
Baseoa, friendly fire on:
- If I shoot a teammate, he dies.
- If he's a bot, he complains about me.
- Team scores -1.
- "-1" floats over teammate's body for a second
- Console says that "X was killed by teammate Y" (me)
- HUD says that "You fragged your TEAMMATE X" with a big font
Baseoa, friendly fire off:
- I can shoot my teammate as I wish, he doesn't die.

What's the problem? It seems all regular, to me... and also it should be quite easy to understand that if your teammate dies, it means that "friendly fire" is on and you should pay more attention in the future.
Sorry, I don't understand the part about "crush kills" you mentioned above...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:01:42 PM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »

I consider it broken

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »

I consider it broken
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Oh, I did another try:
I tried to enable g_elimination 1 in a TDM match. In this case, elimination_selfdamage controls damage to me, but damage to team is still controlled by g_friendlyfire. Anyway, I suppose that's ok.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: