Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Script that copies textures from CD?  (Read 5521 times)
h3dge
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 04, 2008, 07:55:12 PM »

First off, I'm new to the community and I think it is great what you guys are doing.  I played completely through OA and I am impressed with the quality of the game.  The maps are mostly great and really remind me of Q3A (the pinnacle of pure deathmatch).  The game is superior to all the other freeware fps I've tried including cube, sauerbraten, nexuis, and alien arena.

So anyway, I had an idea and thought I would ask if anyone has pursued a texture extraction script?  I think one of the biggest headaches for this project is to find/create maps that are not missing textures.  This reminded me of another open source game "Frets on Fire" (a guitar hero clone).  They have created a utility that extracts the songs from the GH game cd if you have already purchased the game.  It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a script that would do the same for OA if you already own Q3A.  With a little work it may even be possible to parse through all the maps on the hard drive, make note of the specific missing textures, and create a pk3 file with only the missing textures (avoiding copying the entire texture set wholesale).  This script could be included as a courtesy with the distribution and should not pose any copyright problems.

What do you all think?

-h3dge

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »

If you already own Q3A, then you can just play those maps with it instead of OpenArena.
h3dge
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:05:40 AM »

Yes, but you would not be able to connect to Open Arena servers, you would have multiple installs of Q3 on your computer, you would be storing textures that you don't need (if you only wanted to play OA), not to mention that it would be a good way to figure out what is needed to be done to port particular maps.

Anyway, just an idea.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:41:49 AM »

First, OA is meant to be opensource, and uses GPL ressources. So the goal is not at all to gather ressources from other closed projects. This has to be avoided within OA development, but server owners and players are free to use these proprietary ressources if they legally own them.
Second, playing OA with Q3 ressources makes much less sense, if you plan to play Q3 maps and you own the game, better is to play Q3 directly.
Lastly, I think you just have to copy the .pk3 files to use them within the project. And .pk3 is just a zip file, so the tool to extract them is your usual archiver.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: