Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Couldn't write to q3config  (Read 13747 times)
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« on: August 15, 2010, 06:49:24 AM »

Hi. Yesterday, all out of sudden, I suddeny cant exec my cfgs.

I do:

Code:
/exec defrag.cfg
Couldn't write to q3config
couldn't exec defrag
couldn't write to q3history

Im on Win 7 x64.
Disk space is not full.
However, when I rightclick on openarena-0.81 -> Properties
It says: Read-Only (Only applies to files in folder)

I uncheck it. Then check properties again, and its back.. -.-
This also applies to openarena-0.81/baseoa and -0.81/defrag. However, the files inside both baseoa and defrag are NOT read-only.

My guess is this is the bandit. Also.. This ONLY happens in defrag mod.

Any thoughts? Help greatly appreciated Smiley

Regards
riwa

Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-son-of-a-bitch machine, or a giant hula hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we will let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:55:17 AM »

What is the value of the cvar "fs_homepath"?

There are nothing offending in my posts.
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »

Code:
C:\Users\riwa\AppData\Roaming\OpenArena - Default

Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-son-of-a-bitch machine, or a giant hula hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we will let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
MyLittlePwny
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »

Did you install to "C:\Program Files\OpenArena\" or "C:\Users\Public\Games\OpenArena\"? Windows 7 gets REALLY picky about what things can do in the Program Files directory.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:49:15 PM »

I don't think the error "Couldn't write to q3config" has anything to do with the problem. It should not stop the game from executing a config file and the game should never write to its install directory anyway.

Unless defrag has a startup scripts that changes some of the init cvars it really should not matter.... there is defrag.cfg located?

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:40:29 AM »

Can you manually edit (with a text editor like Notepad++) that file and save it, or you get some error? Obviously using the same user account that you use to run OpenArena.

What prevents you from editing a file, other than the "read only" flag, are the "Permissions"... not sure on Windows 7... under Windows XP, to have full view of the folder/file permissions, you have to disable "Simple file share" option (not sure about its name on English version of Windows), and this command is not available in the "home" version, but the "Professional" is needed.

Another thing that could prevent you from writing to a file could be it being "locked" (in use by another process), but in this case it seems strange. Anyway, if you want you can use the "find" feature of Process Explorer to check if some program is using a specific file (to being able to get all the informations about all the processes, it is better to run it as administrator).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:59:37 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 05:12:58 AM »

OA is installed to: D:\Games\Installed\openarena-0.8.1

Yes theres a defrag.cfg. It holds all my important settings for defrag.

Im the only user.

Since the problem, I have copied a q3config and q3history to each similar dir:

C:\Users\riwa\AppData\Roaming\OpenArena\baseoa
C:\Users\riwa\AppData\Roaming\OpenArena\defrag
D:\Games\Installed\openarena-0.8.1\defrag

I also checked the read only on them. But not user permissions.. I didnt know they existed in Windoze.

About the problem. Heres some examples on what I cant do (anything!!)

/cg_autoswitch 1
/exec riwa.cfg
/exec defrag.cfg

NOTHING works. Still spam that errormsg.

Also, the games folder is in a library. And that library is shared over network. But, if this was the issue, then I would have the same problem in CTF and 1v1 no? Which I dont.. This only applies to sweet precious defrag.. =_(

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:31:06 AM by riwa » Logged

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:59:14 AM »

Maybe some autodownloaded file caused your problems. Try to go to &appdata%\openarena\baseoa and &appdata%\openarena\defrag, sort the files for date of modify (or creation?) and check if there are some pk3 added in the last days. If so, temporarily move them somewhere else and try to launch the game.

Anyway, Windows has got user permissions on files, since Windows NT, with NTFS partitions (old FAT32 partitions do not support them). I repeat, I'm not used with Windows 7... but on Windows XP you have to disable "simple file share" (from Tools -> Folder Options -> View... and this important option is not included in Windows XP home, but only in Professional version!), then you can right-click a file or folder and access "permissions" (or "protection") options.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:59:04 AM »

No new files since at least a couple of days before.

Also, the fact that I can execute files in 1v1, CTF etc eliminates the possibility of error due to file sharing, no?

I guess I have to re-install OA.

Getting used to that "solution" punched.

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:45:28 AM »

In Windows Vista I know that there is the Windows Virtual Store Library that is activated by default. This feature prevents any user program to write into user's folders, but redirect them to a virtual place.

You should try to use fs_homepath to specify your own folder, and place your config files there.

That's what I had to do for my OpenArena Launcher to work. You can look at it to get an example.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: