Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to install 0.8.5 patch on ubuntu  (Read 11513 times)
felicixx
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 20, 2010, 07:37:45 AM »

I have patch downloaded. Where/how do i extract files?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »

Hello,

You should extract it at the same place where you uncompressed the game, maybe something like c:\program files\openarena-0.8.1. You have to uncompress it so that it replaces a few of the existing files (that would mean: uncompress directly into c:\program files\), it will also add a patch6.pk3 file into the baseoa subdirectory.

A successful update should bring you a blue menu when you start the game, and the mention "OAX" in lower right corner of the screen.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 08:24:50 AM »

If you installed the 0.8.1 through the package manager you should uncompress the files to /usr/share/games/openarena (you need root privileges for that). If you used the unified zip on this site, than you should unzip the files where you placed the previous release.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »

(What did I say about installation instructions? Smiley)
felicixx
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:57:13 PM »

udi - thanks for info, but i am an ubuntu novice.  How do i go about uncompressing files as root to /usr/share/games/openarena ?

I am trying it with nautilis (sp?) but like I said.  I am a novice.

Thanks.
felicixx
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »

Udi - THANKS! Got it working using nautilus

Whew...!
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:42:22 PM »

I'm not sure, but isn't there problems when replacing files from a debian/ubuntu package ?

Debian binaries in particular were compiled with options to find files at some specific places, so if I replace them the game won't launch anymore.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 04:16:24 AM »

I'm not sure, but isn't there problems when replacing files from a debian/ubuntu package ?

I don't know either. Actually I only told half of the truth, since /usr/share/games/openarena is the place for the openarena-data package, so the binaries there will be ignored, only the pak6-patch085.pk3 does count. The binary is in /usr/games/openarena, don't know if you overwrite that one your config is still found or not. But I think if you place an executable bash script called openarena in your ~/bin, then you can actually use the new binaries in the /usr/share/games/openarena folder:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/share/games/openarena
./openarena.x86_64 $@

It's a plain text file, save it into your ~/bin folder, and make it executable. Replace ./openarena.x86_64 with openarena.i386 if you use a 32bit Ubuntu. After that if you issue the openarena command, the new binaries will be launched. I use this method on Debian for running the game from a shared NTFS partition. Symlinking could also work, but I didn't have luck with that.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:21:59 AM »

If 0.8.5 is installed on a Debian/Ubuntu system then the best way to install 0.8.5 is to copy pak6-patch085.pk3 to ~/.openarena/baseoa/

While copying the pk3-file to /usr/share/games/openarena is acceptable, never overwrite the Debian/Ubuntu binary... it is specially compiled, so different architectures can look in a common place (share), something very Debian specific.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: