Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: i've noticed something  (Read 9880 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: February 16, 2010, 08:15:55 AM »

http://www.playdeb.net/welcome/

OpenArena is missing from playdeb, but strangely AlienArena, Nexuiz and Urban Terror is in there!

Stupid vendetta in effect?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:31:39 AM »

Why do you care?
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:52:23 AM »

Yeah, I've noticed that too recently.

Although they used to have OA on http://www.getdeb.net/

Shocked
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:30:32 AM »

Alien Arena is in the multiverse repository, but an older version, so the playdeb repo makes sense, Urban Terror is not even in the official repository so it makes sense again. But Nexuiz is the same as OpenArena in regard of universe repo and same version number. But I rather feel the playdeb Nexuiz package as an unnecessary duplication, so I'm not that angry that's OA is not part of it.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
vindimy
Bigger member

Cakes 15

lolwut?

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:16:36 PM »

hi people,

this issue is close to my heart as i am somewhat sad that such great game as Openarena gets so little publicity and therefore so few players. i am willing to put time and effort to create quality installation packages for Windows (msi, exe), Linux (rpm, deb) and Mac (dmg) - may need jackoverful's help on the last one Cheesy.

my question to fromhell is - if the packages are of good quality (tested to be reliable), are you willing to distribute them from this site? i'd be more motivated to do the work knowing that it'll reach more people.

finally, anyone knows anything about the politics of submitting .deb / .rpm to known repositories? is there a good reason why the latest Openarena isn't in all of them, given that it's been released quite some time ago?

Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »

Hmm, I run Ububtu  and I've never heard of playdeb.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:22:50 AM »

my question to fromhell is - if the packages are of good quality (tested to be reliable), are you willing to distribute them from this site? i'd be more motivated to do the work knowing that it'll reach more people.

I'm not a core developer of OA, but I appreciate the significance of your offer vindimy, and I'm sorry you haven't received any response about it.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:04 AM »

I suppose external repositories have no interest if main repositories already have the latest versions of packages, and that should be the case because having old versions of the game is pretty useless.

If you plan to make packages then I'm concerned too, because I may upload them on tuxfamily. My only worry is the disk space it would take, I'm not sure of what limits I have, if any.

Now, are these efforts worth ? I'd tend to think some oldschool zip file is enough, at least it didn't prevent our all actual players to get the game and play it Wink Now, if 80% of people have a computer running Windows, it may be nice to offer them a standard way of installing the game,I'd hesitate to do more.

I'm not a core developper either, and hierarchy is the problem since it doesn't plan to let anyone discuss about what's the best thing to do.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Baba Owl
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »

I was thinking that maybe if this site's title had the term 'Quake' anywhere around it would show up in search engines more. (Therefore increasing popularity.)

.. just an idea. Smiley
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 12:41:28 PM »

Vindimy, could you compile the newest engine and VM from SVN? That would be a huge help for OA Smiley.

vindimy
Bigger member

Cakes 15

lolwut?

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:11:10 AM »

Vindimy, could you compile the newest engine and VM from SVN? That would be a huge help for OA Smiley.

Udi, you mean from ioquake3 SVN or from Openarena one? I am guessing Openarena would need the freshest ioquake3 compiled in time for next release.. Amirite?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 11:21:27 AM »

Maybe both the binaries in this thread and OAX?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:52:33 AM »

Udi, you mean from ioquake3 SVN or from Openarena one? I am guessing Openarena would need the freshest ioquake3 compiled in time for next release.. Amirite?

I meant the OpenArena one. And you're right about a fresh ioquake3 build, but I think sago did merge the source with it recently.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: