Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake engine and evdev input  (Read 8500 times)
SpOOnman
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 26, 2009, 04:24:03 AM »

Hello wisers. I have strange problem with my Quake 3 and as you are closest to its basecode I'd like to ask you.

I have Logitech MX310 mouse working with evdev driver on my Kubuntu 8.10 . It's fine and working. xev shows clearly all buttons are ok (from 1 to 10) same as mouse wheel. When I play WarSoW it's finest - it detects all buttons as MOUSE1, MOUSE4, MOUSE7 etc. When I play OpenArena it's fine too, although OA shows my side buttons (buttons 4 and 5) and top button (button 10) as AUX1, AUX2 and AUX3. A problem comes with original Quake 3 Arena. No matter if I use in_mouse (-1, 0, 1) and in_dgamouse (0, 1) - Q3A detects my buttons 4, 5 and 10 as KP_EQUALS.

I assume that Q3A somehow (I'm not a X11 expert) ommits evdev driver and tries to 'read input' on its own. I had 3rd button emulation turned on in Q3A (not in other games) until I've added SendCoreEvents to xorg.conf. So Q3A likes core events. So I assume it has no extra info from evdev like button 4 and 5.

Can you shed some light on it? How is Q3A using mouse input? Maybe its stuck to some /dev/input/miceX address? And how does OA can be better at it? Is Q3A just to old to work with evdev driver properly? Thanks in advance.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:28:04 AM »

Well I am no expert either, but I guess the original Q3A binary (executable) for Linux was made a long time before evdev or xorg was around and uses a more limited protocol, hence the extra mouse buttons are not usable.

You could use another binary though, a recent version of ioquake3 (which is what OpenArena uses, with a few changes).  However I don't know if ioquake3 website has already compiled binaries, you might have to search around the Net or compile it yourself.

SpOOnman
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:13:13 AM »

ioquake3 isn't the answer since I can't connect to other Q3A (propietary with PB) servers. I know Q3A was years before xorg and evdev,but It was running using all of my buttons using normal mouse (not evdev) driver. I had to define axes and button mappings but it worked well. That's where my assumption came - maybe Q3A is stuck to mouse driver?
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »

let me see your xorg.conf file or are you letting hal auto configure that for you?
SpOOnman
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:45:50 AM »

I let hal and evdev handle it for me. It works for some Quake engine based games, but not in Q3A as I mentioned in first post.
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »

check ou this post. Maybe it may help circumvent the problem you are having.

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2588.0

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:14:59 PM »

SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0 ./openarena.x86
edit: my problem was the black hole on the upper left corner... I upgraded to kubuntu-hardy then kubuntu-intrepid. and manually changed my mouse driver to evdev (for tilt buttons). the above solved the problem for me
But now I have a clean install of intrepid (it came with evdev as the default driver)... everything works fine...   well... mostly... at least the mouse...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:20:11 PM by SeriousFapper » Logged
SpOOnman
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 02:09:57 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions. OA is fine and there's something I've found in topic you've started Hitman: "RAZ3R:  extra mouse button support is something that was added to ioquake3 a while ago though.". So original Q3A lacks support for it I guess.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: