Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For custom servers..  (Read 6739 times)
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« on: August 05, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »

There are some servers that run custom maps in addition to different modifications. This requires as we all know, that the users connecting need do have Autodownload, or /cg_allowDownload 1, enabled. However, when the client starts downloading a new mod, or a map, it can be very time consuming, especially if they are on a slower connection. On the screen when downloading it tells the current file, it's download speed and estimated download time. So far is all good.

However, the other day when I connected to a server using a modification. It starts downloading files, and one after another large file starts downloading. I wait until it's ready, and then the next one equally large in size comes. I believe it was running the SHA mod (whatever that is). So eventually I didn't want to wait longer, and moved on. The same thing can occur to maps. A person starts a download of the map and if the server is not configured with the sv_dlURL, then the wait for a 25mb map can be tedious since it will use 4-5kb/s as it's download speed.

A suggestion as follows:
During downloads for modifications (if possible) show how many files remain in that specific dir, and their sizes.
During downloads of maps, show a message (configurable by the server admins) where the maps can be downloaded from using a http:// url, pretty much like the mappack variable, but accessible before/during the downloading of the map.
Of course a user can check him/herself where do find maps which the server uses by typing /serverstatus if the server admin has written: sets mappack "http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=953.0" for example. This however requires the user to connect to the server first..
[edit: some downloads may appear longer than they are..]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:55:09 AM by w1zrd » Logged

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

CarnageHeart
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:36:08 PM »

Well, this is pretty much an answer for #2, though I'm not sure on if it's supported or not in the version of the Quake3 source they're using.

If you look at Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, it's based on the Quake3 engine. Included in this engine is an "http download system", allowing server hosts to specify a url where files may be downloaded from while IN game. Meaning the game will download from this url directly at your "normal" download speed.
Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »

Well, this is pretty much an answer for #2, though I'm not sure on if it's supported or not in the version of the Quake3 source they're using.

If you look at Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, it's based on the Quake3 engine. Included in this engine is an "http download system", allowing server hosts to specify a url where files may be downloaded from while IN game. Meaning the game will download from this url directly at your "normal" download speed.

Yes, it's supported and widely used within popular servers. It needs some previous configuration when creating the server config file, but nothing major.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:51:24 PM by Kojiro_S » Logged

*ROOOAAAR*
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 06:03:25 PM »

mind you, it is NOT the sv_dlURL as such I am referring to, it is an extended version of it if you see it that way. What I was asking for was the possibility to see the files remaining in order to complete the entire download while file X is processing. The sv_dlURL is in my opinion a necessity for ANY server admin with any brain capacity to set, how in their right state of mind wants to download a 10 mb excessive mod with 2kb/s?

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: