Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Connection Problems  (Read 10088 times)
CarnageHeart
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 14, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »

It happens on pretty much any server no matter what my ping is, be it 200 or be it 20... I get horrible lag that can make the game simply unplayable online, however theres no issue with the connection on my end, and the servers seem to be fine because other people are still moving around when I lag... however they will lag too at times so it's not just something on my end, there may be something messed up in the netcode? Not sure what to tell you, but let me know if you want me to send you any info to help with this.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 06:05:10 PM »

It happens on pretty much any server no matter what my ping is, be it 200 or be it 20... I get horrible lag that can make the game simply unplayable online, however theres no issue with the connection on my end, and the servers seem to be fine because other people are still moving around when I lag... however they will lag too at times so it's not just something on my end, there may be something messed up in the netcode? Not sure what to tell you, but let me know if you want me to send you any info to help with this.
As so many times said before (note: use the search function here to find others with similar problems)...set your variables as follows:

/snaps 40 - /cl_maxpackets 125 - /rate 25000

Those values works well for most clients and on most decently configured servers, tweak the values to match your connection speed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:14:29 PM by w1zrd » Logged

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

CarnageHeart
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:27:24 AM »

I already have that, this is a real issue, not a client side setting thing...
CarnageHeart
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:31:12 AM »

Besides that, those settings only work if the server has them set, ie: sv_fps 40 for snaps and sv_maxpackets 100 for packet rate (im not a noob if you haven't noticed)
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 01:59:12 AM »

Whats your frame-rate? use cg_drawfps 1 to find out.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:50:46 AM »

I already have that, this is a real issue, not a client side setting thing...
If it is a real issue it is not related to the Open Arena client you are using, if it was it would have been reported a few thousand times until now. I think it is a real issue as far as your setup/configuration/hardware goes. Hence I suggested client related settings first. I would now suggest that you check your router, switch, firewall and even possible your antivirus if you are running any for errors or high loads. Restart of various services/programs can also make a difference. If you are having software programs such as MSN, IRC or other pinging/heartbeating programs, then close them as this will improve your connection. If you are you linux use netstat and see where requests are being passed. If still nothing, then contact your ISP and see if they have error correction enabled on their TCP/IP, if so, ask then so disable it.
And no, I did not imply that you were noobish, I did something to try and help instead of ignoring a request for help. So feel free to try any of the suggestions I provided, unless they are to simple for you..

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »

I get horrible lag that can make the game simply unplayable online

Cap your framerate

there may be something messed up in the netcode?

Actually our netcode is more efficient than iD's thanks to the removal of their E3 hack.  As mentioned above the problem resides on your client, if not in your snaps, maxpackets or rate, then it is your fps which can and does cause lag.  /com_maxfps 60

CarnageHeart
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 08:57:55 PM »

kiti : framerate is an avg of 300 (capped at 333)

w1zard : no other games have connection issues, including Quake III Arena . for whatever reason, when pinging a server it says my ping will be 50. when i connect, its all most 200 (and there is nothing taking up bandwidth in the backround)
(i know you didnt say i was a noob, also i wasnt saying that i wasnt a noob to be offensive, it just came off wrong, sorry about that . was just trying to make a point that not everyone has no idea what they're doing)

dmn : tried the 60 fps cap, still no improvement
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: