Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty 2 like!  (Read 35449 times)
El Master.
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: August 21, 2007, 10:45:16 PM »

openarena its a great game, very fun but i really miss cod2, now in ubuntu only can play openarena, i used to be cod2 mapper and i want to see in openarena large outdoor maps with real sounds and if its posible with real weapons, maybe somebody could help painting cod2 like textures for an openarena map, maybe toujane like, i know what the contents created for OA must be original, then we cant extract the files from another game, i guess...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:48:54 PM »

then we cant extract the files from another game, i guess...

don't even think about it. we're not CRAPPY FRANKENSTEIN PATCHWORK PIECE OF CRAP GAME NOT WORTH MENTIONING

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:07:32 AM »

hi El master,

i've never played cod2, but i do like the realism based first person shooters. i've been thinking about doing a mod for openarena in this kind of style. i'm currently focussed on character modelling, but when i complete that i was planning try my hand at some big maps.

sadly my gtkradiant skills are a bit basic, but i'm pretty comfortable with blender, so i can have a go at the weapon models if you'd like. also if you want any map objects, i can do those too.

what kind of era are you thinking about doing?
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:03:21 AM »

but i really miss cod2,

runs in wine as does the original

now in ubuntu only can play openarena,

There are far more games than just OpenArena that will run on GNU/Linux, I would suggest visiting liflg, lgfaq, linuxgames, tuxgames, and lgp

i want to see in openarena large outdoor maps with real sounds and if its posible with real weapons

A lot of our users do not have hardware that can handle large, open, and exposed terrain maps like you are thinking of. 

then we cant extract the files from another game, i guess...

No, we can't.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:31:47 AM »

Install Wine through Synaptic.

Then go here: http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/?page_id=3
Its a program called Wine-Doors which helps you install & manage Window programs on Linux. Should make it easier for you to install Call Of Duty. Smiley

If you want to install other Window games check out www.winehq.org for a massive list of working and non-working games/programs. Heres the CoD2 info -> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3794

Hope this helps you. Smiley
El Master.
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:05:23 PM »

i've never played cod2, but i do like the realism based first person shooters. i've been thinking about doing a mod for openarena in this kind of style. i'm currently focussed on character modelling, but when i complete that i was planning try my hand at some big maps.

If you want i can make the maps and you make the soldiers, and then if by code we can enhance the realism feeling, (like cod2), good..

Somebody knows about texturing in qtradiant?, jpg can be used?.
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:50:05 AM »

i don't know anything about qtradiant, is that kde related? i think most mappers on this forum use gtkradiant.
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »

hi El master,

sadly my gtkradiant skills are a bit basic, but i'm pretty comfortable with blender, so i can have a go at the weapon models if you'd like. also if you want any map objects, i can do those too.

what kind of era are you thinking about doing?

I'd like to work on something modern, like TC only better, closer to an AA and TC:E remix and preferably 100% GPL, my Radiant skills are not too bad, but nothing to brag about either, the same can be said about my audacity and GIMP skills. My coding skills however are closer to null than adequate, C just seems to evade me. Ideals and plans however are doing quite well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:50:27 PM by De@thByBl@st » Logged
WH173Ru5Tty
"OA is a crappy game, and should never have been made. "
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 05:42:45 PM »

There are already a ton of free realism shooters that run on the quake 3 engine.  OA doesn't need one.

<this sig was big and dumb>
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 09:04:31 PM »

But none of them are FOSS.  Shooting Nazi's should be free and open to all.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 09:08:20 PM »

Despite CS's popularity i've never seen a working clone of that either.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 12:23:16 AM »

My theory is that counter strike isn't as popular as people would have you believe.

De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:47:21 PM »

There are already a ton of free realism shooters that run on the quake 3 engine.  OA doesn't need one.

I completely disagree, by your standards OA is just as pointless, since Quake III already exists.

There may be some "free realism shooters that run on the quake 3 engine", but this isn't Quake III and Quake III isn't free, so that alone could be an advantage over any "free realism shooters that run on the quake 3 engine" and in any case their certainly isn't a "ton", there is TC, which is not as good as it could be and it's not likely that it can be updated because the code is not available, NS:CO, which was never very good IMO and UT, which also was never very good IMO, so those are in order of realism and quality.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:59:02 PM »

I completely disagree, by your standards OA is just as pointless, since Quake III already exists.

There may be some "free realism shooters that run on the quake 3 engine", but this isn't Quake III and Quake III isn't free, so that alone could be an advantage over any "free realism shooters that run on the quake 3 engine" and in any case their certainly isn't a "ton", there is TC, which is not as good as it could be and it's not likely that it can be updated because the code is not available, NS:CO, which was never very good IMO and UT, which also was never very good IMO, so those are in order of realism and quality.

OA will save you the 5$ that Quake 3 costs so by those standards it's worth something.
The concept behind OA is to re-create Q3, but as far as CS goes, I don't think there would be an interest to develop much further on that game because it is already famous for it's many cheats. Maintaining a working open sourced anti-cheat system for it would be a nightmare.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 05:52:10 AM »

Quote from: w1zrd
OA will save you the 5$ that Quake 3 costs so by those standards it's worth something.

Yes, but the source will no doubt out live the CDs.

The concept behind OA is to re-create Q3,

Which is exactly why it fits the bill best IMO.

but as far as CS goes, I don't think there would be an interest to develop much further on that game because it is already famous for it's many cheats.

CS has it's own engine and it's own issues, again, I'm thinking more towards a total conversion mod, though one that can be completed unlike TC, though it wasn't bad, I think it could have been better if not for the code base vanising, for lack of a better word.

Maintaining a working open sourced anti-cheat system for it would be a nightmare.

Depends on the detection method really, it's certainly something that could be used though, using a signature based detection method like PB would not only be a nightmare, it would be just as pointless if allowed to stand by itself, more needs to be done in trying to detect/or stop the cheat by how it works rather than what it looks like in memory or what cvars and/or files it requires IMO, because those methods have already been proven too easy to defeat.

But then there is always TC and NS:CO:

http://www.spunkmonkeyscage.com/smc_official.php
http://www.ns-co.net/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:57:28 AM by De@thByBl@st » Logged
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 11:17:52 AM »

here's what i've been working on. it's not call of duty style, but it is aiming for a more realistic look.

WH173Ru5Tty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 12:31:07 PM »

...by your standards OA is just as pointless, since Quake III already exists...

Quake 3 isn't free.

w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 03:00:48 PM »

Quake 3 isn't free.
ioquake3 is Smiley

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 04:25:51 PM »

it's hard to replicate CS in idtech3 because of many factors:
- hit detection is limited to bounding boxes
- no flashlights possible
- no sprays
- other things maybe, and forcemodel would suck

WH173Ru5Tty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 04:44:06 PM »

Quake 3 isn't free.
ioquake3 is Smiley

Okay, fine.  Quake 3 the game isn't free. :p

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »

- no sprays

Are they really things you would miss?

The last time I played CS no one used the sprays and at least once I heard (translated): "Turn that damn flashlight off or do you want to display your location".

What about Urban Terror? It looks like CS to me. Not that I ever player, nor that I know CS very well.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 07:00:51 PM »

Quake 3 isn't free.

WOW! I certainly hope you didn't spend too much time figuring that out, which BTW was in the post you obviously barely read and in fact was the main point of said post. Wink

- no sprays

Are they really things you would miss?

The last time I played CS no one used the sprays and at least once I heard (translated): "Turn that damn flashlight off or do you want to display your location".

What about Urban Terror? It looks like CS to me. Not that I ever player, nor that I know CS very well.

Nothing to miss IMO, Urban Terror is very much arcadish and doesn't appear to aim for much realism at all, True Combat and Navy Seal : Covert Ops are closer, but again they are stagnant and in the case of TC, it will remain stagnant as that team has broken up and the source is no longer available apparently, some of the remaining team started work on True Combat: Elite, which runs on the ET engine, which may at some time become GPLed too, however, today it is not and it does require somewhat more resources to run than the Q3 engine. It's certainly a good start for ideals though.

The thing is that CS is another game and runs on another engine, as well as COD2, so there is only so much that would could expect from the Q3 engine, but I think more can be done than we have seen so far and as far as COD2, there is always ET, but frankly I think the whole WWII things has been far over played in gaming and would rather see something more like COD4/AA/TC:E/TC/NC:CO/ rather than COD/COD2/COD3/RO/ET. There is of course more flexibility for change with the complete source code available, something that was not available when TC/NC:CO were made. There is a lot of work from ideal to conception however and so far the ideal is sinking, so I don't really see this happening anytime soon, the same with anti-cheat. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking though, I suppose.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 07:17:06 PM »

actually, they are but they won't look realistic without a lot of work done to the renderer.

Nothing to miss IMO, Urban Terror is very much arcadish and doesn't appear to aim for much realism at all

That about sums it up...

...True Combat: Elite, which runs on the ET engine, which may at some time become GPLed too

Don't hold your breath, without Wolfenstein:ET being released under the GPL there is no legal way for TC:E to be released under the GPL, the best they could do is LGPL

There is a lot of work from ideal to conception however and so far the ideal is sinking, so I don't really see this happening anytime soon, the same with anti-cheat. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking though, I suppose.

This forum is (in)famous for being a place where ideas are shot down, don't take it personal.  I don't think creating a realistic shooter that is released under the GPL with GPL content is a bad idea, but why a mod?  Why not a stand alone game?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:24:59 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 07:41:31 PM »

actually, they are but they won't look realistic without a lot of work done to the renderer.

Nothing to miss IMO, Urban Terror is very much arcadish and doesn't appear to aim for much realism at all

That about sums it up...

...True Combat: Elite, which runs on the ET engine, which may at some time become GPLed too

Don't hold your breath, without Wolfenstein:ET being released under the GPL there is no legal way for TC:E to be released under the GPL, the best they could do is LGPL

There is a lot of work from ideal to conception however and so far the ideal is sinking, so I don't really see this happening anytime soon, the same with anti-cheat. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking though, I suppose.

This forum is (in)famous for being a place where ideas are shot down, don't take it personal.  I don't think creating a realistic shooter that is released under the GPL with GPL content is a bad idea, but why a mod?  Why not a stand alone game?

Well ET will at some point, most likely become GPLed or at least it has been expressed as an intention, but some games, most likely ET:QW are using the engine right now, so again, that won't be next week, but right now we do have a great engine with full source code available.

I don't take much of anything personal really and in fact I'm still interested in such a mod and anti-cheat mods for OA and ET, as they are already drastically needed in ET, if someone knowledgeable could lend some time getting me started I'm sure I'll take off like a rocket, I just don't have a through understanding of C quite yet, in spite of much study. Some people find that impossible due to the scripting languages I do understand, but none the less C still has some unsolved mysteries for me. "Hello World" just doesn't help much and isn't very useful, I have plenty of example code obviously, I'm just not sure where to start addressing the changes and sometimes, due to poor comments, I'm not quite sure I know WTH I'm looking at.

Anyone for a coding example forum?
WH173Ru5Tty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 10:36:25 PM »

Quake 3 isn't free.

WOW! I certainly hope you didn't spend too much time figuring that out, which BTW was in the post you obviously barely read and in fact was the main point of said post. Wink

I don't really care what your post said, and I wouldn't have to repeat the obvious if you were able to take it into account in the first place.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: