Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Test QVM(s) - Please download and test... thnx  (Read 24905 times)
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 02, 2007, 10:51:08 PM »

Here's a file for those that are willing to test. There are many changes over the shipping OA code. As I make other changes (or fix issues that get reported to me) I will keep this link updated. The file is pak8.pk3, so all you have to do is d/l it and put it in your baseoa directory. Then, test away, report issues (or happiness :-), and then, if you want to revert back to the shipping code, just delete the pak8.pk3 file.

I'll list most of the current differences between this file and the official OA release code. I have added quite a bit, so bear with me while you are stuck reading a pretty long post. If you have any suggestions for other things that need to be fixed or enhancements, feel free to post away. If it makes sense, I'll try to put it together...

Changes:
* fixed up/down arrows on server list in multiplayer
* fixed servers with color codes in name not aligning correctly in server list
* added mouse wheel scroll in server list
* fixed incorrect display info below server list (description below).
* fixed memory corruption if more than 64 maps are in base directory
* added ability to display 150+ maps in skirmish/create server
* added auto remapping of unknown bot names to known names, with prefs (description below)
* fixed bug in server info menu
* fixed bug when deleting server from favorites list
* latest fixes from ioquake svn (Rev 1142)
* added ability to define user preferred bots. (Description below)
* added ability to define restricted bot models. (Description below)
* maps are now sorted by mapname (for map selection)

[Incorrect display info below server list]

When you select multiplayer, the menu is brought up with a list box of servers that are found. Just below the list box is a status line that says something like 57 of 57 servers (I can't remember exactly, cuz I fixed it and it's gone...). If you click on GameType, ShowFull, or ShowEmpty, the number of servers in the list changes based on the filter selected, but the count is not correct. I changed it to reflect the real number of servers that match the criteria out of the total number of servers found.

[User Preferred Bots]

This new feature accepts the cvar 'bprefs' (stands for bot Preferences). This string should be a list of preferred bot names separated by spaces. If defined, this list will be used when remapping unknown bots (other issue listed above). You can also force this list of preferred bots to show up at the front of the bot list. This is accomplished by passing in a bot name of ff (force front) along with the list of preferred bots.
   Ex. \set bprefs ff sergei grunt major beret tony

If this command is executed, these 5 bots would be the first 5 bots listed in the bot list (when selecting bots for skirmish or multiplayer) The rest of the bots would follow immediately after, sorted in alphabetical order. If the ff is omitted, the bots will just show up in their normal alphabetical order. The only real difference (from regular OA) here is that this list of preferred bots would be used when remapping unknown bots. The code tries to make sure that it does not select an already selected bot when autoremapping of an unknown bot. If it tries a couple of times and can't find an easy way out, it just leaves the bot empty.

The theory behind this capability (force front) is, if you have favorite bots that you like to play, why not have them show up in the front of the list for easier selection? The pak8.pk3 file that I have posted has a modifed default.cfg file. The example line above has been entered into it so that any testers will be able to see the functionality. If you don't like the preferred bots, just set bprefs with your own list (and save your configuration).

I am working on adding a randomizer to the auto remapping of unknown bots, but it's not there yet.

[Restricted Models]
This one is a start on an effort to present a possibility to achieve some peoples goal of removing some of the more edgy content from OA. This is for a default setting and does not remove or delete any of the current OA models. All it is designed to do is to allow a default to be configured so that you have to manual do something to enable the more edgy content. I know, based on the other thread, that there is a content management system in the works for the future, so this is intended merely as a stop-gap measure to get something out and working while the future is being worked on.

This change accepts the cvar 'resmodels' (stands for restricted models). This string should be a list of models that you want restricted (access denied) in the bot selection menu. (I am working on adding it to the player selection also but not there yet...)
   Ex. \set resmodels show angelyss arachna dark jenna rai widowe tanisha nekoyumi sly

If this command is executed, the listed bots will not be accessible from the selection menu. Because this is just a first round of trying to 'hide' the more edgy content, I have implemented 3 different ways that this cvar will be interpreted.

1) if only model names (no special commands) are included in the cvar, all models listed will be totally removed from the list of bots.
   ex. \set resmodels angelyss arachna dark jenna

2) If the word 'show' is included in the list of models, this will cause the restricted models to still show up in the list of bots, but their images will be replaced with an image that has '17+ restricted' on it. They will no be selectable, but their names will still show up in the list in their regular alphabetical order. The pak8.pk3 file that I posted has a modified default.cfg file that has the example line below included in it. This will cause the listed bots to have their images replaced, but will still be in the list as described.
   Ex. \set resmodels show angelyss arachna dark jenna rai widowe tanisha nekoyumi sly

3) If the word 'showend' is include in the list of models, all restricted models will appear in the list (as 17+ restricted), but will be moved to the end of the list. This forces all restricted models to be after any selectable models.
   Ex. \set resmodels showend angelyss arachna dark jenna rai

If you can, please play around with the different settings for the preferred bots and restricted bots and give me feedback. I included the various way of doing things so that you could let me know what works best for you. What makes sense and what is just programmer overload :-)

Thanks...

[update]
This is still very much a work in progress, and not necessarily ready for primetime, but for those that want to peruse the source, here's a link... The file is 4mb.  Source Link

I wrote most of the code today, so this is really first round ugly code, so if someone wants to use it somewhere, give me a chance to clean it up first... Not a requirement, just a request... There's probably still debug stuff in there that needs to be removed too... Work in progress...
[/update]

[update2]
I will put together a diff file for the changes also in case someone would prefer to get the code that way. Should have it up there in a day or two... Still making lots of changes and would prefer to hold off for a little. If someone absolutely can't live without, let me know and I'll get it up there...
[/update2]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:25:16 PM by beast » Logged
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:04:30 AM »

seems like cool changes!

just gonna ask about a feature that was in return to castle wolfenstein that i really loved. when you entered multiplayer mode and you got the server list it had a button that displayed the server info (included a screenshot). apart from listing mod info and things you already see in the server browser you also saw server address, admin and most important the other players at the server at that given time. this would be nice so you don't have to join a server just to see that it's four bots playing against each other.

this might not be that easy or even possible. anyway - just a thought Smiley

EDIT: forgot the link to the screenshot: http://www.anakronologerna/sepulchrave/rtcw-server-info.jpg
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:28:59 AM »

Something similar is actually on my todo list. Hang in there for a little bit...
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 12:40:41 AM »

I tested this and it works like a charm! Really great job..
I was a bit lost at first since I'm not used to adding bots for single player Smiley
Anyway, the code does it's magic just beautifully.
I tried all three ways of 'hiding' the content and they all worked just fine.
As another idea I had, how about adding a password that allow for parents to set the 'mature' filter and remove unwanted models from selection screens, and then lock it with a password? To go a step further, maybe the /com_blood could also be toggled and password protected?
leileilol suggested that the cd-key area could be used for such a thing, and that a key can be generated seperately.
Would this be possible to do?

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 01:15:57 AM »

hi theBeast, i've got a feature request. when i use the skirmish menu it's hard to find the map i want because they are in no particular order. would it be possible to have the maps listed alphabetically.

thanks. Smiley
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 01:54:08 AM »

Funny you should ask....

I am currently working on a 'preferred maps' variable similar to the preferred bots. This would allow you to bring your favorite maps to the front of the list. The list would also be sorted. Preferred sorted together and then the rest of the maps sorted together.

If/When I get time the following are also being considered...

A 'restricted' variable similar to restricted models. So, you can specify certain maps as off limits. (Although most of the time this will probably be used just to hide maps that aren't used very often.

A setting for showing only preferred maps. So, if you don't want to see anything except your favorites for a while... Wham, bam, you're on your way.

.beast
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 01:55:35 AM »

leileilol suggested that the cd-key area could be used for such a thing, and that a key can be generated seperately.

Yes, but it is a bad idea.  The cd-key check is in the client and is too easy to remove giving any enterprising 13 year old* the ability to simply recompile the client and have access to the content you want restricted.

* when they aren't busy writing worms for Symantec.

beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 02:19:38 AM »

Since anyone can get the source and recompile it, that will just be a fact of life.

For this little stop-gap stuff that I am doing, right now it is client side only anyway, so that wouldn't be a huge deal. Plus, the main purpose for this code is just to remove the content as a default setting. Not necessarily to make if difficult for the content to be turned on. (At least that is the thought process I was using as I wrote the code...)

But, maybe I should think about it... The main reason I didn't think too deeply into it is the fact that someone somewhere is working on a content system for the future and I just wanted to get something working for now for the LanParty folks. In the now infamous thread, I said that I would work on a fork to satisfy those that were wishing some changes, and I'm just trying to live up to my word.

I'm always open to suggestions and comments, though...
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 02:35:10 AM »

I'm just pointing out problems with the proposed solutions and the above mentioned problem is just one. 

Another problem is that the cd-key is stored as a plain text file which makes it easier to bypass and adding any form of encryption would make this project violate US export laws which make it illegal to export any form of encryption.

This means that any password protection will be stored in plain text, making it simple to bypass, just as easy as a check box.

Sausage
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Ilaa

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 02:37:10 AM »

Yes, but it is a bad idea.  The cd-key check is in the client and is too easy to remove giving any enterprising 13 year old* the ability to simply recompile the client and have access to the content you want restricted.

* when they aren't busy writing worms for Symantec.
To be entirely honest, Is there much point making a parental guidance filter, even if it was the most secure thing ever?
There isnt any true nudity, and if your going to play a game like openarena, your more than likely expecting the blood. Smiley

Also I'm 14, and havent a clue how i'd go about writing a worm for Symantec... :S

- Sausage
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 02:44:23 AM »

I am currently working on a 'preferred maps' variable similar to the preferred bots. This would allow you to bring your favorite maps to the front of the list. The list would also be sorted. Preferred sorted together and then the rest of the maps sorted together.

that sounds perfect theBeast. Smiley
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 02:51:45 AM »

that sounds perfect theBeast. Smiley

the latest version out there has the maps sorted... Getting late my time( 3:00am) , so gotta head off to bed... Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow evening to work on the other parts. Since this was the part you requested, I did that first and put it out there... Enjoy...
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 03:00:36 AM »

To be entirely honest, Is there much point making a parental guidance filter, even if it was the most secure thing ever?
There isnt any true nudity, and if your going to play a game like openarena, your more than likely expecting the blood. Smiley

If we don't people will get upset

Also I'm 14, and havent a clue how i'd go about writing a worm for Symantec... :S

That's my theory that all viruses and worms are written by 13 year old Korean kids that Symantec (makers of Norton Anti-Virus) pays to keep them in business Wink

beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 03:05:21 AM »

I'm just pointing out problems with the proposed solutions and the above mentioned problem is just one. 

Another problem is that the cd-key is stored as a plain text file which makes it easier to bypass and adding any form of encryption would make this project violate US export laws which make it illegal to export any form of encryption.

This means that any password protection will be stored in plain text, making it simple to bypass, just as easy as a check box.

Agreed. That's why I wasn't really doing anything too fancy. Yes, it can be removed with a simple set to an empty string, but it means that the user had to do something to access the content. This may not be (probably isn't) an answer for the more general release of OA, but as it gets finished off hopefully it will meet the needs of those that requested the fork.

I wanted to force the user to do something (anything) before they could access the content as per the request from the LanParty folks and friends.

:-)
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 03:20:31 AM »

Like I said a million times in the other thread, great job Beast! Cheesy

Thanks so much for implementing most of the suggestions I made... Really makes me love OA more. Cheesy Hehe.

Also, love the alphabetical map list! It is so illogical how the maps are ordered now, made it very difficult to find anything...

Who wants to start the Beast appreciation thread? Tongue

[EDIT 1: Just tried it out, setting the bot preferences worked perfectly. Smiley Got all my favorite bots at the front of the populated bot list now! WOOT! But, if I close OA and open it again the bot settings reset back! Also, I tried to do the thing you said about showing the "17+" bots, but for some reason it doesn't work when I try to get them to be selectable in the menu. Sad They stay censored...]

[EDIT 2: OK, I figured out the config file was inside the PAK8 and edited it there, skipping the command line and now everything works good. Smiley I just had to get rid of the "resmodel show" line to make the socially taboo models appear again in the bot list... So my problem is solved. Smiley]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 05:15:14 AM by Coconut_Kapow » Logged
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 11:09:19 AM »

But, if I close OA and open it again the bot settings reset back! Also, I tried to do the thing you said about showing the "17+" bots, but for some reason it doesn't work when I try to get them to be selectable in the menu. Sad They stay censored...]

[EDIT 2: OK, I figured out the config file was inside the PAK8 and edited it there, skipping the command line and now everything works good. Smiley I just had to get rid of the "resmodel show" line to make the socially taboo models appear again in the bot list... So my problem is solved. Smiley]

Yep. You figured it out... I put the default.cfg file in the pak file (yes, it is in the original post, I wasn't trying to sneak something past anyone :-) so that the restrictions and preferred bots would show up whenever anyone tried it. After all, what's the sense in having a test version if it never gets tested :-) The default.cfg can removed from the pak file or you can edit it in the pak file (like you did)...
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 07:34:07 PM »

I have created a thread that I will use to notify of new changes to the test qvm's. The idea is that the thread will be locked, so it doesn't get crowded with all of the replies and requests. My thought process was that this would make it easier for everyone to quickly locate the latest changes. If this doesn't work out, I can change it. Let me know if this sounds like a totally bogus idea... (It might... after all... I R NOOB... )

The link is:
Here

I have posted a new file that adds the ability to use the keyboard to move the maplist. If you are looking for a map that beings with the letter 'L', just type 'L' and the map page will be moved to the first page with a mapname that begins with 'L'. Let me know how this works (or if it's bogus too :-)

Thanks...

-beast
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 08:29:26 PM »

well what puzzles me, is who locked it

I DONT KNOW

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 09:11:14 PM »

Sorry for the confusion... I locked it. If you create a thread, you are able to lock it. Or at least that's what appears to be happening. Hopefully I haven't done anything that is against the rules... I try to be a law abiding, always accommodating, member...
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »

Sorry for the confusion... I locked it. If you create a thread, you are able to lock it. Or at least that's what appears to be happening. Hopefully I haven't done anything that is against the rules... I try to be a law abiding, always accommodating, member...
I bet you jailwalk though Smiley
Seriously, this is really great job mate, nice going..

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 10:24:42 AM »

Could we get the diff-file? Also the source link appears to be dead.

While some of the changes are included in ioquake3 now, things like the serverlist is still not right

There are nothing offending in my posts.
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »

Source link is fixed.
nocturne
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »

I've been trying to get w1zrd's map pack to load using this and have some ignorant questions about a few things.

Thing one, your expanded map handling didn't get incorporated into ioquake or OA 0.7.6? My impression from earlier threads was that this was in the works, but I'm still seeing only a subset of the 100 maps with the new OA version. So...

Thing two, is this compatible with OA 0.7.6? This .pk3 works great until I try to edit the .cfg file inside it to get rid of the "mature" model filtering. After unzipping the file I can no longer get it to work at all after rezipping it; I've never run into this issue with a .pk3 file before.

So thing three, would it be possible to release a version of the .qvm for OA 0.7.6 that simply fixes the map handling without the model filtering and other features? That gets around my problem with not being able to edit the .cfg file without the .pk3 breaking.

For reference, I'm new to OA and FPS in general and have no idea how to compile the source code! Tongue
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »

Thing one, your expanded map handling didn't get incorporated into ioquake or OA 0.7.6? My impression from earlier threads was that this was in the works, but I'm still seeing only a subset of the 100 maps with the new OA version. So...
It was my goal to get some of beast's changes in 0.7.6. But it just wasn't done on time.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: