Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to do it in blender, but how... ???  (Read 11626 times)
mangojambo
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 09, 2007, 08:24:26 AM »

Hi there ...
I use blender since 1998 and I think I have a little familiarity with it. Wink
I teach blender here in my little town in Brazil and the students are asking for to do a game or something like that...
To do a game is realy hard, 'couse I ain't a programmer, I am a designer, so... I realy like to play openarena and I want to model characters and maps for and to teach my stundents to do that, but I don't found any thing easy explain the process, or better, blender files from maps or characters.
I don't know:
- the scale to do it in blender (or else I will get something big or realy small);
- the frames actions (dead, jump, running, etc);
- type or size of textures (jpg, tga, png, size 256, 512, or texture for maps... I mean, for models it will be easy, I just need to see into model folder, so...);
- what is the best import and export script for maps and models? (and where to download?);
- When I export, will it be needed to open in gtkRadiant for some ajustments? (If yes, what kind of ajustments?)
- where can I found just ONE blender file example of a model and ONE of a map to openarena? (that will help me a loooot !!!)
- after that, what can I do to test? Just put it into the pak2-players.pk3 in /usr/share/games/openarena/baseoa or just to create another pk3 file? (and how to create?)

I hope to get some help here, 'couse if that happens, I and my students will do A LOT models and maps for openarena!!!

Thanks in advanced!!

Cheers

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 09:57:10 AM »

hello mangojambo,

a good place to go for advice relating to mapping with blender is katsbits.com. there are a lot of tutorials there and the forum is a very helpful place too. they have some reference packs here to help get the scale of your map right.

normally people make a map entirely in gtkradiant, but you can make a model in blender, uvmap it and export it to an ase file that radiant can use. to do that you need goofos's ase export script from here. this thread on katsbits covers the process.

since openarena is an opensource game the blender files that were used to make the characters are available here in openarena's subversion repository. there aren't any blender models of maps, but i can transform a map into a blender file if you want.

the ioquake3 engine which openarena runs on uses jpg and tga images as textures.

when you make something new for a game, you don't put it into one of the games pk3 archives. you make your own pk3 (which is just a zip file which has been renamed) and put it in baseoa, where the game will read it and use it.

i can't help you with animation since it's something i haven't done yet, but i'm sure someone else will be able to help you there.

good luck. Smiley

mangojambo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 10:21:10 AM »

Thanks hyp3rfocus !!
I was ALL MORNING searching for it!! I realy need (and want) to learn all of it!!!

With a blend file model it will be easy to learn the animation, etc etc ...

Thanks again!!!

See you later with some models (and certainly questions)!! Wink
mangojambo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »

Another question, where can I found the best script to export to md3 ?
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »

https://xreal.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xreal/trunk/xreal/blender/

for the scripts required to import & export to .md3

Heres a link to other questions on how to develop for OpenArena. (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ

You do know that Blender has its own Game Engine? That will allow you to create games of any genre. Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »

http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/models/

GPL .blend files of OpenArena models are available in there

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »

Another question, where can I found the best script to export to md3 ?

attached to this post:  http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1125.msg8571#msg8571

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 12:17:49 PM »

if you do want to look at a map in blender (even though it wasn't created in blender). you can always decompile the bsp with q3map2. i use something like the following command...

q3map2 -convert ase aggressor.bsp

...this makes an ase file which can be loaded into blender with this script.

this is an interesting thing to do because you can see the difference between the map before it was built and what gets included in the final bsp. please only do this on openarena maps and maps you make yourself though. decompiling other peoples maps tends to annoy them.
mangojambo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »

Thanks again for all you people!!

I was studing all models in my all sunday!! I'm Loving it!!

Other think is that place I founded in the README, downloading the models... http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/2005/
What is that for?? I mean, after use the exporter do I have to change something using some of that tools (like the called modeltool ?), or not?

If doesn't, what are those files? Do Darkplaces  is the OA engine?

Cheers ...
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »

that page you link to has other game engines that the people at icculus are working on. openarena runs on ioquake3.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: