Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blender, ase and edgesplit  (Read 6703 times)
harntour
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 13, 2008, 02:13:23 AM »

i've been experimenting with making maps in blender, exporting them to ase files and using them in gtkradiant. this works fine, but there were problems when it came to the lighting. for some reason q3map2 (the bsp compiler) could light brushes without any difficulty, but struggled when lighting ase meshes. this shot shows the results on the left compared to what it should look like on the right.

in the shot on the left the lighting seems to creep around the corner and there isn't a shadow cast by the floating box. i figured out that this was probably happening because where the face met at the edges they were sharing the same vertices. there is a simple solution to this problem, add the edgesplit modifier to the model. with this modifier in place the ase export gives each face it's own individual vertices, so q3map2 has no confusion when working out the lighting. i've built a simple map to demonstrate the difference. it contains two versions of the same model, each with identically positioned lighting. the only difference is that one model (the one you spawn in) had the edgesplit modifier.

download the pk3 here.

everything is gplv2 and the license and blend file are in the pk3.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:19:42 AM by harntour » Logged
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »

r_shownormal or something
apply modifiers before exporting anything
(backup before doing it!)
harntour
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »

r_shownormal sounds useful. thanks for that.

i didn't need to apply the edgesplit modify for it to work with the ase script, but that might possibly be necessary for other scripts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: