Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I create the .tga file for font1/font2 in OA  (Read 10828 times)
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 12, 2007, 07:24:27 PM »

I'm playing around with trying to get a quick version of localization implemented in OA and noticed that the font targa files (font1, font2) don't contain the entire character set. Is there a way to create those images and include the rest of the character set? Or does someone already have a copy that was created before? I looked thorough tr_font.c in renderer and it talks a little bit about what to do, but I'm kind of lost. Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 07:55:23 PM »

build oa with freetype support
it generates font files from ttf file
it generates all 256 chars however I could not get the extended set to be viewed
http://www.quakesrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7753 good luck
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:29:58 PM »

Thanks... I'll d/l q3font and give it a try...
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:44:25 PM »

I looked thorough tr_font.c in renderer and it talks a little bit about what to do, but I'm kind of lost.

Which menu are you attempting to do this in?  If it is the base menu, you are looking at a lot of work that will end up discarded after the menu switch, eventually everything will use the missionpack menu which will be the easiest way to provide localization (and a lot of other things).

beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 11:53:41 PM »

Which menu are you attempting to do this in?  If it is the base menu, you are looking at a lot of work that will end up discarded after the menu switch, eventually everything will use the missionpack menu which will be the easiest way to provide localization (and a lot of other things).
Yeah. I know the missionpack will change everything. I'm just playing around trying different things out to get more familiar with the code.

Doesn't the missionpack menu code use the same font system, though? If so, I would still need images that have the full character set for localization (I think, anyway.  IRNOOB...:=)

Thanks...
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 12:25:35 AM »

I downloaded q3font and tried it. It seems to create all of the files, but when I open the .tga files in the GIMP, all I see is a big white square. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 01:35:53 AM »

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/lhtgatools20070412.zip
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 02:18:17 AM »

Thanks... That made them show up in the GIMP. Adobe Photoshop Elements still didn't like the file, but that's okay. I just needed it to show up somewhere... :-)

Now the next question... Does anyone know what font and sizes were used when font1_prop.tga and font2_prop.tga were created?

Thanks...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:29:21 AM by beast » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 02:45:28 PM »

Yeah. I know the missionpack will change everything. I'm just playing around trying different things out to get more familiar with the code.

I'm just trying to save you some work and possible heartbreak.

I downloaded q3font and tried it. It seems to create all of the files, but when I open the .tga files in the GIMP, all I see is a big white square. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Nothing, that is how the GIMP displays alpha channels.  If you look under the channel's tab you'll sorta see the full image, not sure if they fixed this in 2.4 but I doubt it, that is how X also displays alpha channels and the GIMP is still a GNU/Linux app.  You might want to upgrade to the latest release client, if possible (requires > gtk2.10), as 2.4 is a vast improvement.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: