Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Targetting Mode, Close-ups on Player Models  (Read 6048 times)
bengreenwood
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 07, 2007, 06:16:02 PM »

I have this idea for an optional targetting mode for an FPS game, I'm wondering if you guys might consider it.

Basically, it would work like this: if a player sees another player (player 2) in the distance, have the game draw player 2's model to be a lot bigger (say, 15 percent of the screen's height or so), so that it can be seen in detail. You'll still be able to see the originally sized model, it's just that you'll also see a translucent targetting image of it, over-layed on top, if you are aiming close to (or directly at) player 2.

Ultimately the point is, this would allow players to see a lot more of the player models- unlike as is often the case, when they're too far away or just flash by.

The targetting model's feet will still be on the ground, too, so it should look convincing enough. This larger image of player 2 will also have a crosshair on it, that shows where your shot will currently hit it (you don't aim at the targetting model, you aim at the normal one, and the crosshair shows where you're aiming).

This doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement but I think it would really let people see more of the models. Any chance of it making it into OA? Thanks.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 06:18:31 PM »

There's a zoom function that suits this purpose

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
bengreenwood
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:17:08 PM »

Yeah, but with this, the size of the player model would stay constant, and everything else wouldn't be zoomed in. This would allow you to keep moving around/ playing with the same control relative to your close surroundings as if you weren't zoomed in. Because when you zoom in what you mainly care about is if you're going to hit your target player.

This would probably look weird, but on the other hand, it might also look really cool, because it would let people see much more of the player models, which look awesome, generally.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: