Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Framebuffer bloom test  (Read 56893 times)
gord
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2007, 09:11:19 AM »

http://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3422
latest patch just uploaded. lots of fixes and refactored a lot of the code. should be more compatible on more systems and should be marganally quicker for some people.

will you add vbo?

are vbo's needed? the quake 3 code is pretty quick regarding this already.
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »

I disagree
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »

I'll update the bins tomorrow.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 02:13:24 PM »

updated the bins, if you are having issues with the config not saving please move or rename your userdata directory and start from scratch for an accurate assesment.

Also make sure this is from a clean openarena install (i.e. no thirdparty mods, xfire, etc.).

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 01:01:37 PM »

are vbo's needed? the quake 3 code is pretty quick regarding this already.

I think non-framerate dependent soft particles would be nice.

gord
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 04:33:43 PM »

agreed, but thats the kind of things that needs GLSL integration into the main codebase. very 'doable' but hard to maintain against mainline ioquake3. which would require a fork and losing all the advantages of ioquake3.
there are lots of things that i keep thinking would be nice to impliment into the quake3 engine (such as reflective/refractive water, per-pixel phong shading instead of gourrard shading on the models, normal mapping, depth of field rendering, motion blur, colour correction... etc) but it would all be too much of a pain to keep patches compatible with ioquake 3 and they don't seem interested in any inclusions in the main codebase that 'improve' the graphics in any way.
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2007, 05:27:54 PM »

see xreal
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 06:44:09 PM »

which would require a fork and losing all the advantages of ioquake3.

That's the bitch of it, and there are too few people working on OA to support anything but minor changes to the engine.

see xreal

An "xreal-like" particle system might be doable but requires adding some sort of scripting support to the engine (they use lua but other scripting languages are feasible).

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »

requires adding some sort of scripting support to the engine (they use lua but other scripting languages are feasible).

How did all those q3 mods do it in cgame then :S

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 01:28:35 AM »

How did all those q3 mods do it in cgame then :S

Those are not soft particles.  With soft particles the particle will get softer and softer as it comes closer to map geometry until it becomes transparent.  It eliminates the hard edges you'll see in rocket trails, etc. when fired close to a map floor.

XreaL particles aren't soft, from what I can see.

nVidia's white paper(pdf) on soft particle's.

gord
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 07:19:25 AM »

i think fromhell was talking about the general idea of a (better?) particle engine in q3. which could be very easly put into qvm's without any need for scripting.  tremulous's 'particle engine' for example.
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 08:48:27 AM »

lua is a choice of xreal
of course you can do the same using cgame code and a text file

btw I said "see xreal" for renderer changes not for particles

there are only a few people working on quake3
(I don't count those guys who are doing some minor changes, bugfixes, trying to make it work on other platforms
 after all I dont care about playing quake3 arena on  <place your favorite OS> after 7 years if there is nothing new visually ) It is not as popular as q2 and q1
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 10:07:12 AM »

lua is a choice of xreal

(I don't count those guys who are doing some minor changes, bugfixes, trying to make it work on other platforms
 after all I dont care about playing quake3 arena on  <place your favorite OS> after 7 years if there is nothing new visually ) It is not as popular as q2 and q1
Sliding off-topic, but Q3 has a arger, and more mature, community than Q2 has. It's also thanks to Q3 community that OA keeps growing.
Q1 players go with EZ/f/nQuake and Q2 players have moved on to Q3, or they stopped playing in general.
What Q3 has, that others don't, is responsive controls and incredible gameplay, that's why it's still alive, not because some 'unreal-mega-babe-busty-42DDD' model is dancing about as a 250k polymesh with megatextured hair and soft particles from her armpits.
Xreal won't go anywhere unless tr3b lands on planet earth.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 10:16:18 AM »

popularity -> popularity among coders
and it looks like they hate q3 code
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 11:23:57 AM »

popularity -> popularity among coders
and it looks like they hate q3 code
I was under the impression that q3 source was relatively easy and structured to work with though.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 02:01:02 PM »

in a pink world with pink bunnies maybe
(or if you live inside the game code)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 02:07:58 PM »

lua is a choice of xreal

An external script-based soft-particle system would be easier to maintain against the existing code base.

iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 02:33:59 PM »

you can add most of the lua via cgame exports/imports and actual lib links to the client
(I tried it with game/server and it worked So I believe cgame/client would also work)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 05:54:25 PM »

Yes, they'd both work but it really comes down to ease of maintenance against a code base that changes frequently.

TheDoctor
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2007, 07:25:15 PM »

bloom works on my radeon x2900xt hd and my ati x1250 integrated
gord
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 07:56:14 AM »

hurrah thank you TheDoctor.

"An external script-based soft-particle system would be easier to maintain against the existing code base" the point about a scripting system not being needed for a particle engine is that if you implement it in a qvm you could essentially just have your own open arena qvms that you develop privately as a 'mod' and leave ioquake3 alone altogether. 'soft' billboard effects however are something that requires a lot more messing about in the main code.

I would also like to state that i have worked on the quake2 source before and i can honestly say the quake3 code is much cleaner and well thought out. its a little scarier when you first take a look see but on the whole its much nicer. i think the real reason that people havn't took to coding it so much is because its a multiplayer based game, which means if you made substantial changes to the codebase you couldn't have your client in the same games as people using the mainline client.

well that's whats keeping me off doing anything substantial anyway. if i were developing a separate game i would use the q3a codebase over say Ogre or Crystal space any day. would be a lot of fun getting the q3a code into shape -_-
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 01:32:02 PM »

setting r_framebuffer_bloom back to 0 and issuing a /vid_restart drops the game to a tiny 200x300 corner of the screen.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:34:11 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

gord
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2007, 07:47:53 PM »

oop, forgot to reset the blur value on start (only its default compiled value of 0), fixed and updated to latest svn: http://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3422
Dennis1990
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »

Hello Open Arena Users

Ive want to test it out,ive downloaded the binaries on experimental of the openarena/svn server.
But when ive start it Ive get a Red Screen (I have a ATI MOBILITY RADEN HD 4570)
does anyone know a solution for this?

Ans can someone make this patch compatible with some later ioq3/openarena revisions?

Thanks a lot for your help
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »

Sorry but why don't you download the game like anyone else ?

http://openarena.ws/files.html

Todo: Walk the cat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: