Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem - game crashes when trying to adjust sound quality  (Read 7416 times)
trevbork
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: November 17, 2007, 11:52:50 AM »

When I start the game, the sound is really grainy. I can still make out the sounds, but it skips every so often. I figured it was a problem with the sound specs, so I tried adjusting the quality to medium or low, but it crashed as soon as I tried adjusting.

Could someone help me understand what is happening?

Thank you.

Trevor
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 06:57:21 AM »

It's a bug in OpenAL, not OA.  The workaround is to compile the binary with
Code:
USE_OPENAL_DLOPEN=1
or use the latest version of OpenAL during compile.

You can also turn off OpenAL with:
Code:
\s_useOpenAL 0

The grainy sound happens because you don't have OpenAL properly configured for your system.

trevbork
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:45:48 AM »

Please excuse my lack of experience but where would I go to type in '\s_useOpenAL 0'?

Or how can I recompile it with 'USE_OPENAL_DLOPEN=1'?...because if I type in 'sudo make' or something in order to compile, it usually does all of the work for me. I'm guessing I am missing a few steps. Could you elaborate or link me to where it has been elaborated on?
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:25:44 PM »

/s_useOpenAL "0" looks like something typed in the in-game console or found in your game config

dunno about the other one though
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:19:48 PM »

Please excuse my lack of experience but where would I go to type in '\s_useOpenAL 0'?

Or how can I recompile it with 'USE_OPENAL_DLOPEN=1'?...because if I type in 'sudo make' or something in order to compile, it usually does all of the work for me. I'm guessing I am missing a few steps. Could you elaborate or link me to where it has been elaborated on?

Line 88 of the Makefile in the current ioq3 svn or line 100 of the Makefile from 0.7

http://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3261

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: