Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What did ioquake3 project accomplish?  (Read 33543 times)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 08:41:21 AM »

So for me it would seem natural that someone who dedicates that much time for something would deserve to 'be better', in strafejumping, aiming or whatnot.

There is a difference between someone learning how to accelerate a jump and people setting their max fps at 333 to avoid having to learn anything.

Would it be more fair to allow a really slow pace for all players and even out the gameplay? Yes...because practice wouldn't matter.
Would it be Quake? No..

But you've already said that the game isn't quake because of the huge bouncing knockers, bloom lighting, and soft particles coming out sarge's armpits.  Cheesy

Johnny
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 10:30:51 AM »

Therefore would it be Quake without it?  You damn skippy it would be Quake, as the strafe jumping exploit was not intended to be in Quake in the first place.

Let me ask you this.  Do you feel better when you score in CTF after you strafe jumped to and from against players that cannot?   In that case, Barry Bonds should be in the HoF right?  Wink

Good god Noobzilla, you do realize that the strafe jumping "bug", as well as double jumping was left in intentionally right?  The famous Q2dm1 "The Edge" was constructed by id and had numerous areas that could only be reached by strafejumping and double jumping. 

Learn to moooove.  Or get fragged waddling around like a duck with concrete boots on.
Crash!!!
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

hehe...I draw and play

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 12:27:23 PM »

That is precisely at what I'm getting at. They left this bug in because people learned to live with it and embrace and second of all like I said if they did take this bug out it wouldn't be a quake based game. It would be horrible so many people would leave OA and I just started wanting to contribute some stuff to it (cough) music (cough) sounds (cough) I'll provide sources. but if you took all this bug away I and many more would turn our backs on away
Dave
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 06:56:50 PM »

I guess we just disagree.  I find it extremely stupid to hear "<player> has your flag." and not have chance in hell of stopping them because before I can get out the door they've already traversed the entire distance between the two sides.

...kind of takes the fun out of it. 

I think it's stupid and takes the fun and competitive nature from CTF, but I guess if you can't cheat why play is the way of the Open Arena player of today.

Maybe it's just I that will move on.  (btw noob, chances are I've been playing longer than you and at absolute best you've only played as long as I  Wink )
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 03:23:11 AM »

bah you need to remove rocket jump and stuff ... boring Sad
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2008, 08:47:15 AM »

Well, there's BZflag available to play if you absolutely despise "physics luck"

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 03:54:52 PM »

I'm sorry, I feel I have to correct somethign in this thread.

STRAFE JUMPING IN NOT AN ACCIDENTAL BUG!

There we go. It was a bug in quake1 and 2 that id didn't know about upon release, though by quake3's release id software were fully aware of strafe jumping and it has been intentionaly left in, as it has also been in quake4, so really it's no longer even a bug but a feature.

edit: oops, other people have already mentioned this =).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:05:35 PM by RAZ3R » Logged

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »

i agree, and its also in unreal tournament, wolfenstein enemy territory, half-life, call of duty, battlefield 2, and many other games that arent even based on the q3 engine. heck, ive even heard that halo has it to an extent (i dont play halo so i dont know this for a fact).

strafe jumping is in the game because it adds another element of skill required to play competitively. the way i see it, you either learn it or you die, just like any other game. in fact the defrag mod relies on strafe jumping/rocket jumping/plasma climbing for its very existance.

oh and btw, you dont need to have 333fps to strafe jump easily and effectively, 125, 76 and 43 work just as well. all that matters is that the quake 3 engine gives you a steady framerate at the cap you choose and the cap you choose is favorable for the greatest jumping distance. see this url for details if you wanna get technical about it: http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/FAQFPSJumps.html
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: