Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightwave [8] used to create a map file. Need help with rest of process.  (Read 20549 times)
theskeletonking
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: November 22, 2007, 07:06:02 PM »

Self explanatory titles give you nothing to say.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 02:22:35 AM »

Can you post your map file?

theskeletonking
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 02:38:03 AM »

I'm still developing it. I have the layout done, now I'm working on the nooks and cranies. Lots of detail!
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 03:59:39 PM »

come on post screenshots. Wink

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
theskeletonking
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 02:52:42 AM »

First of all, just to avoid the questions: The version of Lightwave I have is the "discovery" edition. I have had a little trouble finding a crack for Lightwave [8] that works with vista, so please ignore the checkerboard pattern, ok?

With that...I have a few screen shots, taken with lightwave, of the map I'm working on. Please note that these screenshots are only meant to show the level design. The lighting and textures haven't been finalized by a long shot, but progress is being made. So from the few renders I have here, you'll be able to grasp the idea I'm trying to execute. The map is actually a scale model of my backyard, but with more nicknacks thrown in to make it oa friendly.

There are a few areas which I find very cleverly designed, and will probably be favorite spots of within level, but I'm not fully satisfied with the design yet, so no pics of that.

Now, by request, here's a few links for ya.
http://www.geocities.com/theskeletonking_myspace/lightwave/image1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/theskeletonking_myspace/lightwave/image2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/theskeletonking_myspace/lightwave/image3.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/theskeletonking_myspace/lightwave/image4.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/theskeletonking_myspace/lightwave/image5.jpg

Oh, the little green thing that you see in the images, well that is roughly the size of a player model. [I haven't had a chance to test the map in GTK Radiant. In fact, I am having extreme troubles trying to get Radiant set up. Does anyone know of a link to a tutorial (preferably one that is clear on instructions) on how to get radiant up and running with OA?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:02:29 AM by theskeletonking » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:58:54 AM »

The version of Lightwave I have is the "discovery" edition. I have had a little trouble finding a crack for Lightwave [8]

If you ever wonder why none of your maps will ever be accepted by this project, refer to what I quoted.

Not only does the license of the discovery edition prevent commercial distribution (which prevents licensing anything produced by it under the GPL) but you are using a crack to provide full access stealing from some very hard working people.

Use blender, provide a .blend file, and your maps may be considered.  Until then, go away.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 06:04:09 AM by dmn_clown » Logged

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 06:13:15 AM »

Until then, go away.
oO

Nevertheless, your work looks promising. Get GTKRadiant working quickly.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 07:09:05 AM »

Nevertheless, your work looks promising. Get GTKRadiant working quickly.

He could be as talented a level designer as John Romero and we still wouldn't use it.

We also can't accept any thing made with "Educational" versions of software.

w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:50:37 AM »

Cracked software and GPL contents rhymes badly. Give the developers of Lightwave the respect they deserve and purchase the program. Then your contributions would be accepted for Open Arena and most likely with most 3-d community found on the Internet; instead of being frowned upon for using illegal software.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

theskeletonking
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 11:53:59 PM »

I'm just used to Lightwave because I have had some schooling with that particular program. I do have a copy of lightwave 7, but it's on a computer that is on the fritz right now, and I don't have the install cd. I think I lost that back in 2003. Once I get enough money pay for the repairs (mainly a new logic board) I will go back to lightwave 7. I believe I can still use the same lwo file from 8 in version 7, so I'll let you all know when I get 7 working. I'll just have to get used to some missing modeler tools Sad

I shelled out a lot of money for this program, and am not going to spend anything near that cost for a while. That's what encouraged me to get the cracked version.

Now, since licensing and cracked software is not the topic here, I'd like some help with getting GTK radiant working. I'm sure once it's set up, I can figure out how to use it fairly quickly.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 01:07:39 AM »

I shelled out a lot of money for this program, and am not going to spend anything near that cost for a while. That's what encouraged me to get the cracked version.

Sometimes you can find old versions of software on eBay or Amazon dirt cheap, check there before stealing.  Or use the free alternatives, blender may have a ui that was designed by 50,000 drunken monkeys that were fed hash brownies and given access to a computer but it is legal and free for the download.  Smiley

theskeletonking
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 01:33:34 AM »

blender may have a ui that was designed by 50,000 drunken monkeys that were fed hash brownies

50,000?! Even with hash brownies, that's enough brain power to peak my curiosity.
theskeletonking
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 12:26:14 AM »

holy CRAP Blender sucks. I'm getting my computer fixed. I just got back from the apple store.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 12:28:20 AM »

holy CRAP Blender sucks. I'm getting my computer fixed. I just got back from the apple store.
Blender is just as powerful as other commercial packages out there, it's just rather different. I myself can't wrap my head around the logic of Blender, but that's because I come from a background using Maya for years.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 07:04:38 AM »

holy CRAP Blender sucks.

Yeah holy crap it sucks SO MUCH it made OpenArena legally possible to be created. I don't like this. Let's go back to using pirated copies of 3D Studio MAX and Maya and create that realistic bullet-swapping mod we wanted to make for Half-Life 2 and call it The Strike Force Of 2008 : Source. And hopefully get noticed by valve since we're so good and we'll be rich.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:08:01 AM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »

Interesting prospect, slightly off-topic but I'll give it a shot anyway. While creating a model, or any other object, in a commercially licensed program such as Maya, is the raw output, excluding textures, legally a GPL model, should the author wish so, or does it nevertheless counts as the creator decides regardless of software used?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 08:08:50 AM »

If it's an official license granted for real licensed users then it's okay

multiplex, an early contributor, is a professional in the game industry and also a professional wrestler, and use legal, licensed copies.. These are the only Maya-created models in OpenArena at current.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 08:55:43 AM »

multiplex, an early contributor, is a professional in the game industry and also a professional wrestler, and use legal, licensed copies.. These are the only Maya-created models in OpenArena at current.
Thanks, glad to hear I can GPL models made with it since I can't really use Blender :/
On the other hand, I've heard that dealing with IK-splines in Blender is easy, so it might make sense learning it eventually.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 01:00:41 PM »

And not an educational version or the license doesn't include any clauses that prohibit commercial use of the work.

Blender is just as powerful as other commercial packages out there, it's just rather different.

This is wrong, blender is just as powerful at creating stand alone models as commercial packages, but its ui and lack of updated documentation is an Achilles heel that needs to be fixed.  Also, it isn't renderman compliant, which makes it less useful than k3d for scene modeling.  I'm not bashing blender, I just think OSS people should start being honest with themselves.

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »

The Maya Learning Edition used to include some text across the final renders, don't know how it is now, but if still, then it wouldn't be pretty models...Sarge, with a 'L' plate across his back.

I agree with you dmn_clown, the lack of official documentation and the not-so-easy-interface is really a drawback for Blender but it does prevent artists who are used to other packages, like for instance zb, maya, lightwave e.t.c to explore the program easily. I am used to working in 3d space, but in Blender I can't even move a box around..well, almost..

I refuse to give up trying to learn it though..

Again, off-topic from t3h original post, but I read that there was a rendered similar to pixars renderman and mudbox, but for Blender, anyone know?

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 02:48:14 PM »

Again, off-topic from t3h original post, but I read that there was a rendered similar to pixars renderman and mudbox, but for Blender, anyone know?

There is a variety, of renderers for Blender. The 2 most common are Blender Internal & Yafray. However there are others. I suggest taking a look at blendernation.com for the latest info on & about Blender.

holy CRAP Blender sucks.

Funny, that's what I think of Lightwave 9. I guess it's because your use to lightwaves interface as I'am to Blenders.
It's not because its Crap, its because you don't know how to use it.

lack of updated documentation is an Achilles heel that needs to be fixed.

Ditto, It ain't perfect but its getting there..

The ui is a 50/50. Beginners hate it cause it throws you into the deep end. But long time users(me) love it cause it feels tidy and non-cluttered.

Lucky there's a choice. Smiley
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »

The Maya Learning Edition

I'm talking about the 1/2 priced versions sold to students, teachers, and faculty that are fully functional that don't include any big "L's" and things like that. 

Like this:  http://www.adobe.com/education/products/creativesuite/design/
or
this: http://www.sharbor.com/products/NTKN0300110.html

I don't know of any for Blender, the big GPL renderman-like renderer is Aqsis. 

<ot>I think the only free modeler that is close to being a replacement for any of the commercial solutions outside of the game world is k3d (Industrial Lights and Magic used it) but they currently have no animation support and you are forced to write your own plugins because it is almost unheard of unlike but they are working on making it as easy to use as wings3d </ot>

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: