Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: creating new textures from old  (Read 7593 times)
pulchr

Cakes 34

« on: December 10, 2007, 04:50:48 AM »

i'm working on a ctf-map for openarena and now i've begun to apply textures in parts of the map. my intention was to use textures already in openarena and stay true to the original quake 3 texture names. but there are a lot of textures missing in the ctf-folder so i was thinking of trying to create some of them.

some of the textures i was thinking of are based on textures already created, but where can i find those if i wanted to use them as base for the new ones? and here i mean textures that hasn't been merged yet, so they are still easier to manipulate.

also, some textures are twice the size of others in gtkradiant. are the openarena project aiming for a double size in textures?
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:13:05 AM »

i'm working on a ctf-map for openarena and now i've begun to apply textures in parts of the map. my intention was to use textures already in openarena and stay true to the original quake 3 texture names. but there are a lot of textures missing in the ctf-folder so i was thinking of trying to create some of them.

some of the textures i was thinking of are based on textures already created, but where can i find those if i wanted to use them as base for the new ones? and here i mean textures that hasn't been merged yet, so they are still easier to manipulate.

also, some textures are twice the size of others in gtkradiant. are the openarena project aiming for a double size in textures?
The original Q3 textures would be in the Q3 pak files which you get with your copy of Q3, those are copyrighted to id software, but good as a reference if you want to work from them to maintain consistency. As far as OA guidelines for texturing goes, the only thing said is to use the power of two, like 256x256, 512x512, but they do not need to be square.
Quote from: OpenArena Wiki
Anything I need to know before I contribute?

The art direction of Open Arena is about "double" as Quake III Arena:

* quadruple texture resolution, i.e. 512x512 as opposed to a 256x256
        * double the polycount of models, instead of 700-900 you'll have 1200-2000 poly players
        * Sound is probably mixed in 44khz rather than 22khz, but I dunno about that as 44khz seems to crash Q3A at this moment

Hopefully the detail should still be scalable with texture resolution and LoD's for slower computers (read: my p100 with voodoo2)

Concepts would be loose, so don't expect a remake of Klesk in his original Klesk form, or any direct remakes of any map/weapon/model.

Don't forget this project needs open content! So don't add anything that is already copyrighted (like content from commercial games). Your contribution must be licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL)

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 05:25:38 AM »

i know where the original quake 3 textures are and look like, i will use them as reference. but i meant those already created for the openarena project, those already in the game. where can i find them? and here i mean some kind of link to unmerged psds or any other format that are not the final texture.

thanks for the quote from the wiki, i missed the double size in textures Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:04:03 AM »

You can find them in the source/assets folder in the SVN.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 06:09:37 AM »

thanks!

i'll have a look as soon as i get home from work
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: