Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MAP: dm17ish  (Read 10899 times)
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« on: December 19, 2007, 05:16:59 AM »

Texturing on dm17ish is almost done.
I remember leileilol mentioned it was created for Nexiuz.
I didn't create this map but rextured it, changed bad brushwork, added patch meshes, trim brushes, decals.

I didn't create new textures but tried to use material that comes with OA 0.71

Problems I encountered which were already in the source before I could get my hands on:
  • This map needs mapmodels like a goodlooking teleporter and some floating lights. Thanks for your advice dm_clown. Unfortunately I'm a bit lazy at the moment and want to stick to the modelling tools I'm used to. I will try MM3D one day.
  • Lightning in general could be improved.
  • No yellow armor floating between the jumppads. Read next point why I removed it.
  • Zero Volume brush problem. When you use the jumppads you hit an invisble brush in the middle of nowhere and fall into the abyss. This brush doesn't show up in my radiant but q3map2 tells me when compiling. Google found a few hints how to solve this. With the help of a radiant plugin these brushes might be deleted. Too bad there are no radiant plugins available for me. Somebody else needs to do this.
  • Map is a lot bigger than original q3dm17 so gameplay will be different. If I would feel enthusiastic about OA having dm17 I would try to get it smaller.

So far it's another boring spacemap. See screenshot and linked zipfile.
Warning: zipfile only contains stuff to work on, no compiled playable version.

http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/dm17ish.zip
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:44:24 AM by cosmo » Logged

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:31:38 AM »

Nice going, this is a map that many players have been waiting for.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 12:29:52 PM »

awesome!
it's a great map

but why can't you place the yellow armour in the air and set the "suspended" flag to it, then it won't fall down.
ok, the bots won't pick it up - but who cares about them? Wink

or maybe i didn't understand the problem?
what's a zero volume brush? :>
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 03:00:43 PM »

For the record, you don't need any plugin to remove a zero volume brush or patch, you just need to scroll through the worldspawn entities in the entity list and look for whichever brush/patch appears to be invisible and delete.

Also added a target_speaker, target_remove_powerups, and a no drop brush.  I'd fiddle with it more but I have no interest dm17.  I will, however, say that this map will be worse because it is possible to snipe all three main platform levels (read:  someone will play the map so much that they will memorize where the next spawn point is and then camp the railgun).

The railgun platform needs to be lowered to remove the camping.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »

Thank you dmn_clown,
that was exactly the way to get rid of the nasty brush.

So I got my hands on this map I will bring it to an end. It sounds like a good idea to lower the railgun platform to eliminate camping. I will reduce the size to get more fast paced action.

Any other ideas to improve this are welcome.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:12:27 PM by cosmo » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:46:46 PM »

The skybox should be changed to one that isn't used in 0.7, skies2/nebula2 hasn't been used.

I'd also be wary about using evillair textures at least until this issue is resolved in a satisfactory manner.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 03:22:55 AM »

Hm, okay.

dmn_clown didn't you tell me that image sources are only needed for textures that were multilayered in production phase? I don't see a problem with most of the evillair textures.

Being aware of this changes a lot for me. Seems one could only rely on textures created on your own and even then it might be problematic to support next release of OA. I'm nervous.

I'll use skies2/nebula2

[edit]
Okay, I've been reading this. A working copy of OA were everything could be used for creating new content is needed then. Sad That's no fun anymore.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 03:39:39 AM by cosmo » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 05:29:44 PM »

I just want leileilol to be consistent and to document what is or isn't acceptable or expected as source.  Something required by the use of the GPL and something that he hasn't done but expects other people to do, apparently I'm on a witch-hunt because I've pointed out inconsistencies in his requirements that seem to change with his mood.

I have nothing against him personally, I like this project, I'm not attacking him or the project, I just want him to be consistent or at the very least document what is expected of people that wish to contribute to this project.

Hell, even RMS is consistent, even when asked if pirate bay is guilty of copyright infringement:
Code:
    Do you believe that The Pirate Bay is guilty of copyright infringement?

That is a legal question, not an ethical question.  I do not know what
the law of any given country would say about the Pirate Bay.  You
would need to ask a lawyer.

Instead of that legal question, we could ask an ethical question: is
The Pirate Bay's activity right or wrong?

In general, I think people have a moral right to share copies of
published works, so I see no reason to criticize the Pirate Bay in
general.
Not Making it up

Dave
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »

Hell, even RMS is consistent, even when asked if pirate bay is guilty of copyright infringement:
Code:
    Do you believe that The Pirate Bay is guilty of copyright infringement?

That is a legal question, not an ethical question.  I do not know what
the law of any given country would say about the Pirate Bay.  You
would need to ask a lawyer.

Instead of that legal question, we could ask an ethical question: is
The Pirate Bay's activity right or wrong?

In general, I think people have a moral right to share copies of
published works, so I see no reason to criticize the Pirate Bay in
general.
Not Making it up
I'm a fringe RMS guy. I like and I don't like many things about him.  One thing I wouldn't do though is use him as an analogy for anything other than the term zealot.   I'm guessing that is what you did here if you mean consistent in the way he deflects or augments anything that doesn't result in his belief being touted? 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: