Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: copy of q3 map  (Read 10215 times)
ailmanki
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 25, 2007, 09:16:40 AM »

Is it allowed by GPL, to make actually a copy of a map from quake3?
With copy I mean, decompile it, build all new (decompiled map used for distances and such), use different textures and models.
I mean q3dm6, I thought that is illegal, but past few days I have seen a version for UT3, and a version for Doom3, so.. I think that is ok?
I love that map allot, and I would like to copy it. I have seen q3dm6ish, but its to different.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 10:01:11 AM »

Is it allowed by GPL, to make actually a copy of a map from quake3?
With copy I mean, decompile it, build all new (decompiled map used for distances and such), use different textures and models.
I mean q3dm6, I thought that is illegal, but past few days I have seen a version for UT3, and a version for Doom3, so.. I think that is ok?
I love that map allot, and I would like to copy it. I have seen q3dm6ish, but its to different.
Nope, you may not decompile a map (or any other media) and make copies of it if it is copyrighted material, unless you have the authors specific permission (preferably in writing) to do so.

However, what you may, and many do, is to use landmarks as reference points and then create your own map, based on your own measurements. By decompiling something, even as trivial as a map, you could be sentenced to jail as it is an infringement on copyright in the same way as reverse engineer source code of a program/engine would be.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

ailmanki
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 10:53:17 AM »

hm if I rethink, UT3 and Doom3 have a greatly enhanced engine. The maps are the same from layout but look completely different. My target would be a 100% perfect copy .. which is actually idiotic and not legal. Cause oa and q3 are almost the same engine. So q3dm6 from q3 would run perfectly on oa, so copying it - I think is not legal either in this case. Bah! I hope ID will answer my request.. gona email them, for the source so I only have to retexture it - maybe they are so nice and do it themself - would be in anycase a million times better. But I suppose I will get the answer buy the game ..
Damn, so in the meantime I gona analzye q3dm6 and make something similar. Thanks..
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 03:50:29 PM »

Open Question:
Didn't Aardappel re-make q3dm6 already, rather properly, anyone knows?

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:12:08 AM »

No you can't even decompile it for reference as that would be called reverse engineering and violate the Q3 Eula. No

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: