Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unable to connect to Vile CTF or Brutal CTF  (Read 6719 times)
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« on: January 10, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »

A friend of mine recently installed OpenArena 0.7.0 and the 0.7.1 patch release. For some strange reason, he cannot connect to Vile's CTF or Brutal CTF servers. He is able to connect to other servers (Airlogic, for example) but when he attempts to get into Vile, he's getting a "downloading error".

Right now, he's forced to play the Free-for-All games and some of the unpopular CTF servers. He's currently using Windows Vista. I had him change the network setting to LAN (since he has cable) in OA. Once he tries to connect, he instantly gets disconnected. Also, it won't let him download the maps - even though it's set to AutoDownload.

Anyone ran into this issue before? This is a brand new install with patch installed.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:53:17 PM »

Because they run custom maps which are not included in the Open Arena release

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:52:36 AM »

Even the basic map pack they run won't allow him to connect on his machine. The strange thing is that he can goto other CTF servers and play on the same (non-custom) maps they have in Vile/Brutal CTF. I did have him turn Automatic downloading on but it will either do two things:
1) The download won't start or
2) come up with a downloading error

This is on a Windows Vista O.S. I dunno if there could a firewall issue or a setting that needs to be done on his side to get him connected.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 03:06:27 AM »

Even the basic map pack they run won't allow him to connect on his machine. The strange thing is that he can goto other CTF servers and play on the same (non-custom) maps they have in Vile/Brutal CTF. I did have him turn Automatic downloading on but it will either do two things:
1) The download won't start or
2) come up with a downloading error

This is on a Windows Vista O.S. I dunno if there could a firewall issue or a setting that needs to be done on his side to get him connected.
I don't think it's a Windows Vista issue if he can connect to other servers and the downloads works from there.
Make sure that you have the required maps, or the standard OA ones, in the right location before connecting. You can also try and delete the q3config.cfg in case if the cl_allowdownload variable is being overwritten. Apart from that, do you get an error message indicating something with libcurl or similar before the download breaks? (check in the console and note whatever message it types).

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »

I run Vista I have not really had any problems playing on any servers.

TheWorstOAPlayer aka RashDawg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: