Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cant start the game  (Read 6691 times)
zputnic
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 10, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »

Hello

Got major problems over here.

Simply unzipped it, pressed the openarena.exe and the typical blue little screen shows what is loading. Then when it switches to graphic mode, the screen turns white, and after a few seconds it just hangs. Only the game, not windows. But all colors get really bright in windows.

I got Quake3 installed and it works fine.
Im running a AMD Palamino 1900+@1900+, 512meg DDR with slow timings, Nvidia FX5500, WinXP sp2.

I have tried to re-unzip it, download it from different places. Tried to add the patch 0.7.1. Wrote a autoexec to not load the openal, lowering the s_khz to 11, tried cvar_restart. Switched nvidia drivers from 82.12 to DNA 78.01.
And nothing works. Sometimes it hangs faster, sometimes slower. But it always hangs.

Any ideas?

Best Regards
Mike
zputnic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:12:01 PM »

Have been trying some more here, i installed osp in the openarena folder. Now I get a message that it can't start default.cfg.

Have I maybe found something or am I at the start again, and still can not run the game? Sad
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 03:08:21 AM »

OSP is not a part of standard Open Arena, so there is no guarantee it will work. But you can try the following, simply create a dummy default.cfg in your notepad and make sure it's writable, sometimes that does the trick.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

zputnic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »

Been there done that.
Have checked out some more about the hang. The file msvcrt.dll is the cause, or so it says anyway. Have switched to another now. And still the same result.
Btw, the default.cfg is in one of the pak files. And it seems right to med, the file that is in there.

Any ideas, any developers or something want to help? Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: