Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Found help.  (Read 18163 times)
trigger_david
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 19, 2008, 09:51:02 PM »

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:18:18 AM by trigger_david » Logged
trigger_david
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »

See above.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 07:22:39 PM by trigger_david » Logged
trigger_david
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 05:52:36 PM »

See above.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 07:22:50 PM by trigger_david » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »

Code:
code/cgame/cg_main.c:356: error: `DEFAULT_TEAM_MODEL' undeclared (first use in this function)

You've commented out where 'default_team_model' is defined but not the function where it is used.  Look in the file cg_main.c around line 356 Smiley

trigger_david
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »

Code:
code/cgame/cg_main.c:356: error: `DEFAULT_TEAM_MODEL' undeclared (first use in this function)

You've commented out where 'default_team_model' is defined but not the function where it is used.  Look in the file cg_main.c around line 356 Smiley

Thanks for replying, dmn_clown. The problem is that after commenting out everything the compiler complains about I eventually get a non-descriptive error (the error msgs produced are quite obscure, and no longer tell me what line to correct) and then I cannot proceed.

I'm about to approach this differently. I'll edit my original post with details. Hopefully I can find someone interested in helping Smiley
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »

Have you thought about using the missionpack vm and just implementing some form of localization?

trigger_david
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »

Have you thought about using the missionpack vm and just implementing some form of localization?

I've not played around with TA since it came out, so no I haven't. What does it offer specifically that would facilitate my needs? I did originally look at the new TA entities when I was considering this project, but didn't see anything that seemed useful to me. I'm curious now. But please keep in mind, I'm not programmer... so if it doesn't involve commenting something out, or changing numerical values (ie. 0.30 > 0.75 ) I'm pretty much in the same boat. Thanks for the suggestion!
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 06:55:18 PM »

take a look at the font tga files they contain 256 colors

but you can only use 128 of them due to a bug(which is not needed to fix unless you want to see strange chars) see the comments in the code. but of course it still wont cover asian languages.

what you said sounds easy I am sure someone can do it in a day. you should also ask at other q3 forums. and irc maybe
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:29:11 PM »

I've not played around with TA since it came out, so no I haven't. What does it offer specifically that would facilitate my needs? I did originally look at the new TA entities when I was considering this project, but didn't see anything that seemed useful to me. I'm curious now. But please keep in mind, I'm not programmer... so if it doesn't involve commenting something out, or changing numerical values (ie. 0.30 > 0.75 ) I'm pretty much in the same boat. Thanks for the suggestion!

Namely it has less ui code to worry about, a menu system that requires less cpu time as you don't have to repeatedly compile a vm, just drop the *.menu into a ui/ folder inside a pk3 in the /base gamefolder to test, and you can embed RoQ movies in levels.

With localization that would mean that all you have to do is translate the text strings from your menu files and keep each language in a separate pk3.  At install time the user picks their language of choice and only installs that particular pk3, which should cover a single player only game and still be small file size.

That does nothing to solve your target_print issue, though.  However the ITEM_TEXTSTYLE_SHADOWED instances in the code should be easy to work around/remove, which IIRC is what you wanted.

trigger_david
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »

take a look at the font tga files they contain 256 colors

but you can only use 128 of them due to a bug(which is not needed to fix unless you want to see strange chars) see the comments in the code. but of course it still wont cover asian languages.

what you said sounds easy I am sure someone can do it in a day. you should also ask at other q3 forums. and irc maybe

Thanks for the reply, o_O. Could you possibly recommend some active q3 forums where I might find programmers by chance? I'd really appreciate it.

Namely it has less ui code to worry about, a menu system that requires less cpu time as you don't have to repeatedly compile a vm, just drop the *.menu into a ui/ folder inside a pk3 in the /base gamefolder to test, and you can embed RoQ movies in levels.

I guess I don't understand what you're suggesting here. Do you mean use the mission pack base instead of OA (since, from I've read, OA doesn't support TA)? I'm actually using OA primarily for the .ogg support, and don't have a use for a menu system, or RoQ movies.

With localization that would mean that all you have to do is translate the text strings from your menu files and keep each language in a separate pk3.  At install time the user picks their language of choice and only installs that particular pk3, which should cover a single player only game and still be small file size.

The issue with this, as o_O pointed out, is the bug concerning the 128-character limit. By using baked .tga files with the translated text strings I'm able to make versions for any language needed, irregardless of foreign characters. Considering how small the download will be, I was planning on just having separate install files for download.

Thanks once again for the replies, guys. And just out of curiosity... Say you were only using a few small-sized textures, had very little geometry, no models or effects... basically running something very minimal... is it possible to disable mip-mapping at all? I'd asked around last year and didn't get any feedback, so I figured it wasn't possible.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »

I guess I don't understand what you're suggesting here. Do you mean use the mission pack base instead of OA (since, from I've read, OA doesn't support TA)? I'm actually using OA primarily for the .ogg support, and don't have a use for a menu system, or RoQ movies.

Yeah, after I posted that I remembered that you weren't going to need much of a menu system, so I guess it really wouldn't matter which vm you use.

The issue with this, as o_O pointed out, is the bug concerning the 128-character limit. By using baked .tga files with the translated text strings I'm able to make versions for any language needed, irregardless of foreign characters. Considering how small the download will be, I was planning on just having separate install files for download.

This is where freetype support would come in handy.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:33:20 PM »

freetype's deifnitely planned for OA in the future, and i've seen Wudan implement it around 2005. dunno if he ever shared the code though

the active quake3 coder haven quakesrc.org is currently down

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
trigger_david
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 09:53:13 AM »

I noticed that. It's not looking good. Any other ideas maybe?
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:01:22 AM »

freetype's deifnitely planned for OA in the future, and i've seen Wudan implement it around 2005. dunno if he ever shared the code though

he shares his code??? come on...

http://www.quakedev.com/ http://www.quake3world.com/forum/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 11:04:28 AM by o_O » Logged
trigger_david
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 12:27:59 PM »

Wink
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:20:21 AM by trigger_david » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 04:00:29 PM »

freetype's deifnitely planned for OA in the future

What is the status on Apple's patent?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 09:56:43 PM »

At this point I'm willing to try anything, so I downloaded q3devel and noticed a source folder in the archive. In source was the familiar code folder, but also a ui folder. Hmm. And there I found all sorts of *.menu files, even the elusive menudef.h file. So what the hay, tossed ui in the root folder alongside OA's code and the makefile, and ran a make with MingW, went for coffee. When I got back it was done, scrolled up the command prompt... no errors. And inside the build folder I had all .dlls and .qvms.

I've not set my game up yet to try out the .qvms, but if they work, I may be able to wing the rest. At the least I can modify target_print for my needs (fingers crossed).

Thanks again, guys Smiley

Q3devel was before the GPL q3 source release, so whatever use of the source they have  do not comply with the GPL and are licensed under the restrictive q3 mod SDK license.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
trigger_david
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 12:31:09 AM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:21:08 AM by trigger_david » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: