Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm interested in helping out with music  (Read 18504 times)
HyperNewbie
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 01, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »

Hey, I've been composing for 5-6 years now, and I'm interested in being any help into contributing music for this game.

My websites is www.hypernewbie.com
My acidplanet profile at www.acidpanet.com/hypernewbie

My genre is mainly trance, but I can manage tech and ambience stuff, although not industrial as described in the Music page in the OA wiki.
I can't do tracker modules, so I will be contributing in OGG. I can also do some basic sound engineering and mastering ..... if forced to Smiley

I also know stuff about C++ and basic opengl and stuff: vectra.sourceforge.net

The songs on my webpage do use stuff thats not GPL, but I can stick to free VSTs and samples.

currently I've made 1 ambient song for OA, and I'll post it here: (its in mp3 because I cant be bothered converting Tongue)

www.hypernewbie.com/files/ambient.mp3
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:41:24 PM »

I can't do tracker modules

No thanks, sorry.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:33:57 AM »

I listened to your ambience.mp3, and I have to say it's pretty damn good!

Tho I would say more suitable for a survival horror game than a fast pace action shoot-em up. Nevertheless, it does show you got skill. Smiley
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 03:58:34 AM »

OA needs more music. I think ambience.mp3 sounds a bit too ambient Wink

Due all those annoying restrictions everybody has to cope with when creating content for this game it's discouraging at first. Maybe you're able to get yourself into tracker.

I just wonder how a musician should work with it when every sample has to be GPLed and this license is rare for everything else but sourcecode. Creating graphical textures is possible because I can draw and take photos. How do you create samples on your own? Record your kitchen machines with a microphone? That can't be serious.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
HyperNewbie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 05:09:43 AM »

No thanks, sorry.

Cry
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 08:29:06 AM »

No thanks, sorry.

What about sheet music, that meets your "human readable" specification (the fact that hip-hop artist have been changing melodies and editing sound bites in wave-form for years not withstanding).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 08:44:26 AM by dmn_clown » Logged

Megagun
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »

I just wonder how a musician should work with it when every sample has to be GPLed and this license is rare for everything else but sourcecode. Creating graphical textures is possible because I can draw and take photos. How do you create samples on your own? Record your kitchen machines with a microphone? That can't be serious.
What about using a split-license? Say, general game media in GPL, and game music in Creative Commons? I know there's quite some Creative Commons music out there (http://www.kahvi.org , for example) so...
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 12:20:32 PM »

I like that track. Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »

What about using a split-license? Say, general game media in GPL, and game music in Creative Commons? I know there's quite some Creative Commons music out there (http://www.kahvi.org , for example) so...

If i do that, servers that have the music pak in their baseoa will require players to get the music pak as well, which makes it dependent. I don't like that.

HyperNewbie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:40:57 AM »

No thanks, sorry.

Hello again, this is probably reviving a dead topic, but I've just recent began trying out modplug tracker

And I've somewhat remade by ambience song above into IT, and erm, ppl are complaining its too ambient, so I thought i might as well
put in some of my home genre....trance.

I've heard somewhere that MOD files are wanted, but this song is in impulsetracker, IT. Will that really matter?

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/158304/hypernewbie-echoes.it

p.s.

we can always use oscillators or hardware synths, the latter of which I have none.....
yeah, software oscillators = win, its like going in photoshop, filter -> render -> clouds then spam random filters from there until you get what you want.
or, you can try find gpled recorded samples from people who have the resources to record them. Yeah, not much people have drum kits and a harpsichord a piano and a whole orchestra of instruments to record off in his bedroom.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:48:58 AM by HyperNewbie » Logged
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »

I can't do tracker modules, so I will be contributing in OGG
The problem fromhell has with this is that the GPL requires you to release the "source code" for the GPL-licensed file.

The “source code” for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. “Object code” means any non-source form of a work.

So this would mean that you would have to release the "preferred form of the work for making modifications to it" for the OGG. What would that be? Can you do that? If it's an uncommon format for some DAW software, we would have to find out if the format is protected, if it's not it should be okay.

Also check out this resources list, you might find some instrument sounds useful (depends on the way you work of course)

1. It's very quiet 2. Not all of it seems fitting to OA (too little action mostly) 3. Sounds okay, I doubt I would like it in OA though, I don't like melancholic music in my shooters =) Matter of taste and would have to try out to be sure.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 11:19:46 AM »

I've heard somewhere that MOD files are wanted, but this song is in impulsetracker, IT. Will that really matter?

Shouldn't matter, I was referring to the major format in general. MODs are still acceptable, 4 channels minimum Tongue

I checked out that .it file, not bad for your first (and not bad for Freepats, either)! Would suit a night-time black starry sky map. The song could use some panning though, and maybe not take so long to get to the beaty parts.
Not sure about the VST plugin, those are rather costly to use aren't they?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:26:40 AM by leilol » Logged

HyperNewbie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 03:00:32 AM »

yeah, I aint a lawyer (those are in great demand these days), but Everything ive used in there and will use for this sort of stuff comes from either freeware VSTs or stuff thats included in the FL Studio demo (3xOSC). Yeah I hate $$$ involvement when it comes to music (doesn't everyone here) .

edit: I've made a new, slower track, for something different in OA to the usual action-game chippies.
http://www.fileupyours.com/view/158304/hypernewbie-cloudsz.it

thanks
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:40:23 PM by HyperNewbie » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:42:43 PM »

Free VSTs should be no problem, if they don't have any non-commercial use only clauses.

HyperNewbie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 02:48:08 AM »

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/1.0/

is this license o.k.?
I want to use http://freepats.opensrc.org/musix/samples/drums/

(gods sake, impossible to find some sane gpl samples...the freepats stuff I found is either crap or off tune or both!) (who the HELL records a crappy violin on some nonexistent note a little tad above D# and a little bit below E??!?!) [/rage]
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »

No

qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »

If by samples you mean recordings of notes of instruments. then http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sound_samples ccby3.0 and http://loopproject.com/ (pd, I asked, "are the samples pd?" answer was "short answer: yes" I just asked the admin to put the copyright status info on the page. (no answer so far)

fromhell, is ccby3.0 ok? Or strictly licenses that are GPL-compatible?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »

Or strictly licenses that are GPL-compatible?
I am extremely strict on GPL compatibility and I have a strong hate for CreativeCommons

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: