Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: now you see them....  (Read 7728 times)
notesalot1
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 19, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »

Hi, I've just downloaded and played the new version, and it's great! Hats off to everybody who had something to do with it.

I'm still learning to play. When I play TDM, some players are right in front of me, and i'm shooting, but they're kinda just jumping/teleporting side to side right in front of my face! I can't frag them, and I die. Lots of people do it, is there a special jump i'm missing?

thanks
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »

You may have a very high ping, or they might.
notesalot1
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:19:11 AM »

sorry, noob here....ping?
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:38:45 AM »

sorry, noob here....ping?
latency..

The time it takes from you press the button until a shot is fired. To see your 'ping' press the TAB-key while in the game.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:04:18 PM »

To elaborate what Wiz said...

Ping kind of deals with network speed. If your Ping is high, you will notice things moving very slowly, jagged or jerks about. Everyone's ping setting is different but you want to have a low ping so you can move more fluidly. Sometimes its not your fault; the server you maybe connecting to is very far from where u live, so you will have a higher Ping which means the network needs to work more harder for you to play at a decent pace.

Typically, a good ping would be 50-100
Bots or players playing on their own server have 0 ping

I hear if you go into your console (by hitting the tilde "~" key) and type: /snaps 40
That will reduce your ping about 20-40.

Also, change  your network setting to correct speed you have at home. If you are using a cable modem, set it to the cable modem setting.

Hope that helps...read the openarena tweaks as well from www.openarena.ws ... in the Wiki section.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:28:58 PM by HITMAN » Logged

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »

/snaps 40
/cl_maxpackets 125
/rate 25000

ping tells the time it takes for information from your machine, to get to the server and back. 500 ping is half a second.

The closer you are to the server, the lower the ping you have. Bots have 0 ping, because they are apart of the server, any human that appears to have 0 ping, is just being rounded down.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:30:04 PM by Gerbil » Logged

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: