Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [TASF]CTF server - Automatic bot notification!  (Read 5667 times)
[TASF]Overkill
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 08, 2008, 10:36:06 AM »

I'm an experienced server admin, though I haven't dealt with the Quake 3 engine before. I threw up an OpenArena server one day and started fiddling, and you know what? I like it.

So, now I have a dedicated server, [TASF]CTF. If you see it in the server listing though, you'll notice something... The hostname is automatically updated to reflect how many bots are playing. So, if you see 11 players on and it says "[TASF]CTF - 5 bots" you know there are 6 humans on. This is a little script wizardy on my part.

Bots auto-fill to a minimum of 10 players. The reason for this is so that I can play and not have to be bored to death on an empty server. If 3 of your friends join a game, 3 bots will get kicked, but you'll at least have something to shoot at. In my case though, you'll also be notified BEFORE you join as to what kind of players are on the server.

I look forward to further tweaking the server, but I feel this should go a long way to demonstrating good will to other gamers, and prove that I've got your best interests in mind.

We have a TeamSpeak server as well, located at overkill.homelinux.net. I'm always looking for suggestions!
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:42:24 AM »

maybe this is just me, but i get stuck at awaiting gamestate whenever i try to join Sad

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: