Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Acceptable texture licenses?  (Read 6390 times)
TRaK
Takes your "dying" game, and sticks non-Free content into it!
Nub

Cakes -2

« on: March 22, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »

Hi,

I've been playing OpenArena for a couple weeks now and I must say I'm a little dissapointed with the aesthetic quality of a lot of the maps that  are included in 0.7. Most of the maps really don't do justice to the q3 engine and its capabilities. I want to help change that Smiley

I have a decent amount of experience with gtkradiant and the q3 engine. You can see some of my work here. However, I was wondering what licenses are acceptable for inclusion in the game. As far as I know, the GPL only covers code, not media (I may be wrong about this). There are a few texture packs out there that I want to use that are not strictly under the GPL and I'm interested in knowing if their licenses are acceptable. Mostly they're different variations of CreativeCommons.

Sock's Techno pack which falls under this license
Evillair's textures which fall under this license
Hourences' pitores pack which is "free for all non commercial use as long as you credit me", but you can also purchase a commercial license.

Also, I'm working on a set of my own custom textures based on photo references from sources that have agreed that I use this license.

So, I guess my question is: is there any problem with using any of these textures for OpenArena?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »

All current media in Open Arena is under the GPL. Yes, it can be used for other things than code.

All licenses mentioned are automatically incompatible as they forbid commercial use. However some of the files might be under different licenses. Some of evillairs textures are available under the GPL and they are included in Open Arena.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
TRaK
Takes your "dying" game, and sticks non-Free content into it!
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »

Ah, that's frustrating...

Well, I guess this means that if I ever release a map for OA, it'll be in a good while when I have the spare time to do texture work.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: