Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena League  (Read 57325 times)
RailWolf
Nub

Cakes 0

Into The Void

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »

"teamkills are on" in ctf ? does this mean friendly fire ? not very common on the ctf servers i played..

I had turned FF on because it is common for pro-league team matches to have it on. ... But like ET said, I have started a poll so that you the players can decide on this rule.
RailWolf
Nub

Cakes 0

Into The Void

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »

I also have questions about the league ...

- What about the date of the league ? (deadline when all players should have subscribed, eventually date of the first match)

I am still tweaking up the rules which is almost complete. I will more than likely set a 1 month sign-up period. From my experiance with the Quake2 league going right now (NAiL) It took almost two months for all of the teams to get grouped and a set roster.. Sometimes it takes a few weeks or more for the word to pass around to everyone who might like to be involved.

- About the maps, I've already played the custom ones you added on ET's server, I haven't played much and in ideal conditions on them (not enough players), the ones I would play if it only depends on me would be : letgo_02, 13vast (or bubctf1, rather the same), bastir, oa_ctf4ish, kellblack, oasago2f2, TeamTemple_q3a. I see nothing really wrong with the other maps you have. I also liked moonstone but it's risky so it's better to avoid. I wasn't thinking we would play custom maps, as it is an "OA" league it makes less sense if it turns back to Q3. The other thing is also most guys playing OA do not know these maps, or may feel reluctant to use non GPL ressources Wink. Chosen maps may also depend on the number of players, LetGo maps are quite small, brings us to next question ...

Thanx for the recommendations on maps. I've seen someone else mention bubctf1 as a good map, so that one will more than likely make it into the map choices. Maps are still in question, which is really the only major thing left to organize. Again, your suggestions are appreciated.

- For CTF, it will be 4 guys VS 4 guys playing, am I right ?

That is what I put into the rules. If there is enough committed people for this league, it will be 4v4. I've had to drop a league down to 3v3 before though, due to the lack of players..but hopefully as soon as everything gets completely worked out and everyone knows what is going on we will have plenty of people for 4v4.

And a few stupid questions ...
- Can someone leave the game during one match and let someone else play instead ?

The season will be arranged best of 3 maps. Once a team is ready and begins a map, the roster is locked for that map. If, for instance, someone lags out in the middle of a match, the match can be paused until that player returns. Player drop-outs in the middle of a match is another thing I have yet to correctly word for the rules but it will be there later this evening.

- I think there is no problem if the playing members of our team varies from a match to another... right ?

If you wish to switch players after a map, you can - as long as they are on your team roster on the league site.

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »

imo you shouldn't have too many maps played in the tournament. unfamiliar maps doesn't make for good games. get a list of maximum 6 good maps - that are well known. or decide early on which maps to include so people have a chance to try them out.
escapedturkey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »

I don't have a European location. I'm thinking we could just split the teams so at least the Europeans all ping to the US server on the same level vs. competing against US players who will have a much lower ping. The servers are running unlagged, so a lot of the ping issues are resolved, especially for hit-scan weapons.

New Poll added:

"Should we have European and USA divisions?"

Please vote -- right hand side under "Polls".

http://league.tastyspleen.net/index.php?league=10&season=13

Smiley

aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 09:26:26 AM »

im sure the people from RN could provide a server in europe, they hosted the freedomware gamefest, too
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 02:46:54 PM »

imo you shouldn't have too many maps played in the tournament. unfamiliar maps doesn't make for good games. get a list of maximum 6 good maps - that are well known. or decide early on which maps to include so people have a chance to try them out.
only oasago2f2!!!
lol

Maybe for map choices, do slob picks.

The first choice will be either:
a)random
b)a set map, like oasago2f2
c)ping disadvantage chooses
d)mutual agreement between the two teams/tourny host

then after that, the loser picks the next map, out of a filtered list.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:55:20 PM by Gerbil » Logged

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »

What about hydronex?  Its not even on the server?  I think it is about the right size for 4v4.  It is a map that is played quite a bit.

TheWorstOAPlayer aka RashDawg
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 07:32:22 PM »

Is the server thats going to be used for the tournament up yet?
If not, could you put it up so we could get used to the right ping there? as well as get familiar with some of the obscure maps on rotation Tongue

he awoke with a frieght
escapedturkey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »

Servers are here:

http://www.escapedturkey.com/openarena/

Smiley

escapedturkey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 09:09:13 PM »

Please direct any questions to our League Forum:

http://nail.tastyspleen.net/forum/

Thank you. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:29:34 PM by escapedturkey » Logged

Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »

cool, thanks

EDIT: when abouts will this start?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:23:31 AM by Gerbil » Logged

he awoke with a frieght
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 10:13:25 AM »

As the Poll goes, seems you'll divide EU teams and US teams.
I didn't vote, maybe I didnt understood well, but the more teams I play against, the happier I am with it.
After a bit of testing, it's still quite uncomfortable to play with a ping around 150-180. If you want I can let you use a server located in France to host some games. Some other server admins with better servers in Europe may also offer you the same, but as it seems nobody offered yet ...

Todo: Walk the cat.
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2008, 10:36:52 AM »

there will be soon a european ctf server (in frankfurt) , hosted by the rainbow crew. it will have the same config as ETF server Smiley
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »

That's nice, I suppose it's Freedomware CTF ? It'll be fine (and will spare me some work Tongue)

Todo: Walk the cat.
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 11:43:57 AM »

Gerbil, who's going to play from /V/??

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2008, 07:36:41 AM »

I believe there was a topic on the V forums

he awoke with a frieght
RailWolf
Nub

Cakes 0

Into The Void

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »

only oasago2f2!!!
lol

Maybe for map choices, do slob picks.

The first choice will be either:
a)random
b)a set map, like oasago2f2
c)ping disadvantage chooses
d)mutual agreement between the two teams/tourny host

then after that, the loser picks the next map, out of a filtered list.

In that past I've found a good method of handling maps-to-be-played is: being a best 2/3 match.. each team gets to vote on a map they want to play. If a team wins the first two rounds there is not a third map played (each map is worth one point, so that team would automatically get 3 points)   If however the match goes 1-1 then a predetermined tie-breaker map would then be played
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 01:00:47 AM »

in case you didnt notice, there is now a european ctf server, running the noghost mod.
there are a lot of maps and a few in rotation (oasago2f2; a_ctf4ish; oa_ctf2; bubctf1; hal_palindrome; oa_bases3)
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 07:37:11 AM »

In that past I've found a good method of handling maps-to-be-played is: being a best 2/3 match.. each team gets to vote on a map they want to play. If a team wins the first two rounds there is not a third map played (each map is worth one point, so that team would automatically get 3 points)   If however the match goes 1-1 then a predetermined tie-breaker map would then be played
well, if one team is really opposed to oa_bases3, and one team is really opposed to oasago2f2, then they cant really come to an agreement. It can still be a 2/3, its just that the loser of the previous map would pick the next one. You cannot counterpick a map you have already won on.

for example:
team 1 has ping advantage, team 2 picks oasago2f2
first- team 2 wins, team 1 picks oa_ctf4ish
second - team 1 wins(because high ping doesnt play well on space maps), team 2 counterpicks hydro(because they won on oasago2f2 and cant counterpick that map)
third - team 2 wins

team 1 has ping advantage, team 2 picks oasago2f2
first - team 2 wins, team 1 picks oa_ctf4ish
second - team 2 wins reguardless, cause they are that good

and each best out of three set could be played as a best out of three for ping reasons. first set play on a map that team 1 has an advantage on, second play a map that team 2 has an advantage on, I dunno for third lol.

counterpick maps:
oasago2f2
hydronex
oa_bases3
oa_ctf4ish
oa_ctf2

there are two space maps, two strafe maps, and one noob map. It looks good to me. For finals which would be best out of 5, we may run out of maps pretty quick hehe, so then you can add some custom maps. Add them for variation as well Tongue Maybe add ctf_inyard and ctf_compromise!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:49:10 AM by Gerbil » Logged

he awoke with a frieght
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 07:55:19 AM »

w00t signed up for Duel Smiley
when will these matches be on and where?

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
RailWolf
Nub

Cakes 0

Into The Void

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2008, 10:52:07 PM »

in case you didnt notice, there is now a european ctf server, running the noghost mod.
there are a lot of maps and a few in rotation (oasago2f2; a_ctf4ish; oa_ctf2; bubctf1; hal_palindrome; oa_bases3)

Cool. I'll get that server added to the list of league servers.
RailWolf
Nub

Cakes 0

Into The Void

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2008, 10:55:08 PM »

Sign-ups will be cut off on April 26th. Around this time I'm going to contact everyone who has signed up to verify their participation, and proceed to making up the schedule. Matches should begin within a week of the sign-up end.  If for some reason either of the leagues run into the month of July, there will be one week break starting on July 28 for QuakeCon

The EscapedTurkey server and the new euro server will be used.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:57:40 PM by RailWolf » Logged
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

Sign-ups will be cut off on April 26th. Around this time I'm going to contact everyone who has signed up to verify their participation, and proceed to making up the schedule. Matches should begin within a week of the sign-up end.  If for some reason either of the leagues run into the month of July, there will be one week break starting on July 28 for QuakeCon

The EscapedTurkey server and the new euro server will be used.
koolies thx Smiley

Euro server...bugga' bad ping oh well ill just deal with it Smiley
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:41:27 PM by RAAM'BO » Logged

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: