Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux server admin how-to for mod's  (Read 6887 times)
xlancealotx
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 20, 2008, 01:56:59 PM »

Playing around the public servers, hit the "Old Farts" and they had a pretty sick "excessive mod" http://www.excessiveplus.net/.

I am running a linux server, and things are cool, but I want that mod.  I have the excessive folder in the q3 root, and remote console access, is there something you need to do on startup, or can it be loaded via rcon?   The other interesting thing is that server, only specific maps used the mod, so is there something at the map level?

Thanks ... as usual!
escapedturkey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »

ExcessivePlus mod copies Quake 3 media sounds. I would advise against using it since it violates GPL. You may want to consider NoGhost instead.

xlancealotx
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »

Will take a look, thanks for the info.  If this is (I would assume) the same escaped turkey as the site, great site  Smiley

Also, no need to reply if in fact it will tell, but after finding that mod,  I didn't see a reply as to howto incorporate that mod (or others) on the server both permanent as well as on a per-map basis (as I said, the old fart one (just funny typing that!) ) had that mod on for specific maps.

Thanks ....

Lr
escapedturkey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »

Yes, same escapedturkey -- thank you for the compliment. Smiley

I've never seen anyone run a mod just for a few maps, it's either always on or always off.

Do you need help getting NoGhost running? Smiley

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 06:48:13 AM »

yes i think i got that issue

its called map_download or something, set it at 0.

1) does single maps but still seems to run in the backgroup
3) Copies all the files over first before you connect.

The easiest, but dont know if its recommended, was for me to set paths in startup.

I use this http://www.q3eu.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=31
which is pretty good cos you have a single gameuser and then just have a bunch
of configs.. here is my 1v1 config

[root@local lgsl]# more /etc/games/configs/oa-1v1
STARTPATH="/usr/local/games/openarena-0.7.0"
BINARY="./ioq3ded.i386"
PROCESSNAME="ioq3ded.i386"
PORT="30000"
PORTS="30000"
COMMONARGS="+set fs_basepath  /home/gameserver/.openarena/1v1 +set fs_homepath
/home/gameserver/.openarena/1v1 +set fs_basegame NoGhost +set net_port 30000 +s
et dedicated 2 +set fs_Game NoGhost +set gamename  NoGhost +exec q3_1v1_n18.cfg"
ARGS=""
QSTAT="q3s"

So you have loads of these in one dir and a command to control them..

games fix
games restart a-config
games stop thisconf

etc

You can then put folders in your main .openarena folder based on game or however you want it. I have about 6 versions of noghost so I stil these in one directory and make sure nothing interferes. There is no chance if messing things up PROVIDING you stick to the same config as above. You also wont be able to change path settings accidently because they are specified on start up.

This games prog also checks for servers down etc. It's worthwhile in my opinion considering if you plan on having a variety of stuff

[game4@local]# ls
1v1 TDM

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: