Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tutorial: Strafe Jumping and stuff.  (Read 65014 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 06:53:33 PM »

"Sorry, the file you requested is not available."

Can you reupload the file?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Zero_hun
Nub

Cakes 2

dO_____Ob

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 01:39:28 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial, but i dont understand everything. I dont know what should i do. :S The problem is that i can speak english just a bit, but i would to be faster.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 10:43:35 PM »

simple examples : http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7568909271529243203&hl=en
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »

Your fov make my eyes go blury :/.

fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 10:27:08 PM »

fov? it's default. Its xvid video compression thats making your eyes blurry. Cheesy

I know its crap
Flipendo
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 04:19:58 AM »

Raz3r doesn't have the demo anymore... does anyone have it?
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 10:23:08 AM »

I may have them. He probably only intended them as examples, lots of them can be downloaded from here http://www.breakdown-hq.com/

Check out the CeTuS jjm2 download, I don't think there's any other better example to demonstrate what is possible with use of strafe and weapons.

I'll have a look for Raz3rs, shouldnt be too difficult since I just need to check a rough time/date.

edit: ah. i see what you mean about the fov.. I thinks thats just nooby video editing as I probably saved it with incorrect aspect ratio which has that effect.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:28:51 AM by missbehaving » Logged
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »

/bind o "toggle g_synchronousClients;wait 8;record;toggle g_synchronousClients"
/bind p "stoprecord"

(I noticed when you record a demo with g_synchronousClients 0 it gives a warning: You should set 'g_synchronousClients 1' for smoother demo.)

If you toggle it back to 0 right after you start recording, it means the demo will be recorded with g_synchronousClients 0, not 1.

So the commands should be:
/bind o "toggle g_synchronousClients;wait 8;record"
/bind p "stoprecord;toggle g_synchronousClients"

Is this true, or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:32:01 PM by dash9 » Logged

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »

I assumed /record toggled the sync on then off or something, on earlier versions it wouldn't record unless sync was changed to manually. I know people who are ok playing and recording at the same time with delag and g_sync off. When it's on I get crap response on key presses.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 11:24:57 PM »

Hi! A watched several tutorials how to strafe jump, and I thought I already can, but I always fall down on DeFrag maps like Run4 4T and Runstrafe3 after the first platform. My speed varies from 360 to 450. On some quake3 strafejumping videos you can see the mouse swinging from side to side but very fast. Is the mouse moving the key? How much speed do I have, when doing proper strafejumps?

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 12:15:43 AM »

The second jump is the hardest but once you get comfortable with it the rest is easy, it's just repetition.

Strafe jumping can be very over rated. You realise that when you get your ass kicked big time by players who move like they have been playing for a week. When playing matches try turning corners with a circle jump. You kind of feel the point where your speed increases. You also get used to it quicker without using defrag maps. You learn by repetition and then find defrag is alot easier. If your fps jumps up and down you can forget all about it. OA is heavily focused on eye candy and model detail. I think this bites into my RAM and uses more resources and as much as I've tried I've never quite got stability. What I could do on q3, seems impossible in OA. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford to upgrade my hardware. The model pak on OA is about 80mb or something similar. In q3 my model pak is under 5mb
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 12:23:20 AM »

oh.. and when you swing your mouse quickly, that's to get to the point of accelleration quicker. You don't stop and hold your mouse there though, you continue to move the mouse outwards very slowly and your acceleration increases at a slower rate, but you only need to do that on more difficult jumps. xcm_tricks2 is a great map for practicin.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 02:37:41 AM »

The second jump is the hardest but once you get comfortable with it the rest is easy, it's just repetition.

Thank you for your help, I start to feel the rythm Smiley. I found the strafejumping tutorials on Breakdown quite useful. First I didn't use the mouse, and later I turned it to squeeze out more UPS. xcm_tricks2 is great, I really found the running maps useful, where you can jump as much as you want, and there's no punishment. I think everybody should try to get over 1000 UPS there, and try the strafejump level after that.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »

With about 1200 ups @ strafejumping I think u can handle almost all hard CPM run maps.

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 06:04:27 AM »

Bumping with purpose.

Attached is a copy of RAZ3R's demo from the original post, as the link is no longer works, plus I renamed the files so they work in OpenArena 0.8.1 -- I think the originals were recorded on 0.7.1 but they work fine in 0.8.1
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »

Cheers andrewj, have a cake.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: