Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AUTOEXEC problem  (Read 8579 times)
Narses
Nub

Cakes 1

do_u_know, who_u_r?

« on: April 09, 2008, 09:35:52 AM »

Hi all,

today i found big problem with my config.....game doesnt work with AUTOEXEC.cfg but with q3config.cfg......i have in AUTOEXEC all my commands and settings but if i start up the game, i have setting by default q3config.cfg

What i have to do for playing with AUTOEXEC settings...

i generated my own current config and opened this file in Data applications/Open Arena/baseoa and saved as AUTOEXEC.cfg, but if i start game, AUTOEXEC hasnt any influence.....

but once i played with AUTOEXEC and was it normally functional, but now suddenly its wrong...

i tried also to copy content of AUTOEXEC into the q3config and save, but with start game, theres generated new q3config.cfg......

Can anybody give me advice what to do?? Many thanks in advance...

- - Heroes in black - - SECRET POLICE - - Heroes in black - - WATCH YOUR BACK - -
-Visit --- http://oa-cl.ucoz.org/ ---
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 09:56:13 AM »

mind posting your autoexec.cfg?
i have a feeling you might have left something out or broke something.  also, autoexec.cfg should be in all lowercase letters, not sure if it matters but i'd change that anyway to see what happens.

personally i just set things with console commands, since a lot of things i set i like to change from time to time.
Narses
Nub

Cakes 1

do_u_know, who_u_r?

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:59:41 AM »

hmm, i dont know what are "lowercase letters", but i can post my autoexec here, never mind....

mainly i want to play with my settings, not with default...i have feeling, that if im playing with q3config, controlling of my model is strange and abnormal...i cant break records with that Tongue

- - Heroes in black - - SECRET POLICE - - Heroes in black - - WATCH YOUR BACK - -
-Visit --- http://oa-cl.ucoz.org/ ---
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 12:42:53 PM »

lower case UPPER CASE lower case UPPER CASE lower case UPPER CASE lower case UPPER CASE lower case UPPER CASE lower case UPPER CASE lower case UPPER CASE lower case UPPER CASE lower case UPPER CASE lower case UPPER CASE  Cheesy
ecru
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »

I have found the NoGhost mod ignores your autoexec.cfg (both in the baseoa and the NoGhost directories) - other mods could have a similar problem.

After you start the mod, type the following in console :
/exec autoexec.cfg

This will run the autoexec.cfg in NoGhost, or if that is missing, run the autoxec.cfg in baseoa.  You only need to run this each time you make any changes since when you exit, the mod's q3config.cfg is updated.
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »

edit: woops. I mistook this for the buffer overflow problem where the config gets too big.
Anyway, it might help still since it might be the same issue although you might not know it. If you have too many vars set it causes an overflow error and the symptoms of this are..

- You will leave the game and return and find your config doesnt update with any previous changes (the config no longer accepts permanent changes).

- You find odd changes in config when connecting to different mods and some game vars do not show as being set.  I notice it happen when config is at 16k +.

There are alot of defrag defaults so even if you put them in a seperate config these will get written to the q3config and the only difference you just have an extra config that doesnt get updated. If you try to exec a 'good' config it may not accept any new values if you have the overflow issue.

I didnt notice the noghost issue before, good to know. People will say that autoexec is the answer to all the config issues. Cheesy Well I don't think so and I've noticed some other strange things which has messed up a config. 

====

I have the same issue too.

q3config.cfg will always be your main config, autoexec will write/update it.

This will help, but not fix it completely.

1) go through all your configs (except defrag) and remove all the defrag (df_) settings and save the files. That way you will keep most of your configs without losing anything.

2) In the defrag folder, search and replace to remove all the 'seta' entries, but keep all the settings. example: 'seta df_help' becomes 'df_help'.

This will stop defrag settings getting written in any other config.

3) Use your autoexec as normal. If you have changed alot of things use /writeconfig often to a new config and put the settings you need in your main clean config (as writeconfig writes loads of server crap you dont need).

4) Leave the mod before joining any other server, I think you might even need to quit the game to be sure.

I've seen people put /writeconfig q3config.cfg at the end of configs but I dont know if this would clear the old q3config.. I was going to try putting /writeconfig q3config.cfg at the start of my autoexec but dont know if this will work or have bad affects.

Number 2 above will help most I think and you should be able to read and write ok to all other q3config file without it getting too big.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:15:36 PM by skankychicken » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: