Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ppc linux open arena, a few questions  (Read 11192 times)
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« on: April 14, 2008, 01:54:05 PM »

ok so i have this G3 imac that is running ubuntu linux i'd like to get open arena running as a dedicated server for lan parties. the problem is, when i try to start the server, i get an "illegal instruction" error in the console and it just quits. does the same thing if i try to fire up the game client normally. here are the system's current specs:

400Mhz G3 processor
128MB ram
ati rage 128 (8MB vram) video card

granted, the specs are just above what the wiki says (other than the video card), but technically the dedicated server should still work.  now my question is, does the open arena executable and vm's require altivec in order to work?  G3 processors unfortunately lack altivec (for those who dont know, altivec is sorta like mmx or sse cept for the powerpc architecture).

for the record im using the open arena that is in ubuntu's apt thing. unfortunately the site that i knew of that had the ppc binaries is down, and the last time i tried them they did essentially the same thing. i also have all of the prerequisite libraries installed (libopenal and all that).

i know the linux powerpc architecture isnt supported the way osx ppc is, but i'd kinda like to know what i can/should do to get this to work or at least a definitive answer as to why it wont.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 02:38:34 PM »

Download the source and compile the engine.
Lack of altivec should not be a problem (compared to the fact that it is a PPC processor).

The VMs do not need alternatives.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:11:51 PM »

I don't know if there is any point trying to run OA on that machine. At least not 0.7.. wait for the next release this week which is a lot faster.
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:03:51 PM »

@sago007:
ya, thats what i was kinda figuring ill have to do, unfortunately im kinda new to compiling in linux (most i have compiled is amsn, pidgin and unsuccessfully compiled firefox). got any specific instructions on how i should go about it? 

@kick52:
well, the point is to run it as a server, not a client, so performance isnt much of an issue. while running it as a client would be a neat trick, given how picky and broken DRI is on this particular imac running a dedicated server is pretty much all i want/can do with it.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

@sago007:
ya, thats what i was kinda figuring ill have to do, unfortunately im kinda new to compiling in linux (most i have compiled is amsn, pidgin and unsuccessfully compiled firefox). got any specific instructions on how i should go about it? 

The biggest problem with the standard OA source is that you need to patch it yourself.

Instead:
1. Download http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/ioquake3stable.tar.bz2
2. Unpack
3. Run sudo apt-get install libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libsdl1.2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev build-essential
4. Start a terminal go to the folder you have created (there is a file called Makefile) and type make
5. If it fails then look at the output and see what lib*-dev I forgot (Ignore complaints about svnversion). Go to step 4 again

If it succeeds you will have a binary in the build/arch folder

EDIT:
Forgot libcurl
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:27:06 PM by sago007 » Logged

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:20:28 PM »

hm, how would i go about patching it for open arena exactly?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:30:41 PM »

hm, how would i go about patching it for open arena exactly?

The patch command and some manual patching. I really don't think you should try that.

Thats why I linked to patched source.

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 06:54:10 PM »

ah thanks, ya probably not the best thing for me to do yet.  once i get this working i'd like to learn how though, in case someone else needs a linux ppc build sometime.
im getting this error and not sure what is causing it other than some assembly thing. what am i missing?

make -C code/tools/lcc install
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34/code/tools/lcc'
install -s -m 0755 build-linux-ppc/q3lcc ../
install -s -m 0755 build-linux-ppc/q3cpp ../
install -s -m 0755 build-linux-ppc/q3rcc ../
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34/code/tools/lcc'
make -C code/tools/asm install
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34/code/tools/asm'
install -s -m 0755 q3asm ../
strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file `../q3asm'
install: strip process terminated abnormally
make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34/code/tools/asm'
make[1]: *** [tools] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34'
make: *** [release] Error 2
mikey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 10:10:57 AM »

Don't use the files linked by sago007 as they don't work.

I found that to compile it (although as I said it doesn't run) download the files from http://openarena.ws/ Files section and get the source tarball and extract tit. Open a terminal and change into the directory then type:

Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion
svn co http://www.openarena.ws/svn/source/ui/
make

This should create a directory called build which somewhere in it has the executables and stuff you require for open arena. Download and extract the OpenArena Release from http://openarena.ws/. Copy all the files from your build/whateverversion/ directory into your extracted release directory.

Run the dedicated executable for your version.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:22:46 AM »

ah thanks, ya probably not the best thing for me to do yet.  once i get this working i'd like to learn how though, in case someone else needs a linux ppc build sometime.
im getting this error and not sure what is causing it other than some assembly thing. what am i missing?

make -C code/tools/lcc install
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34/code/tools/lcc'
install -s -m 0755 build-linux-ppc/q3lcc ../
install -s -m 0755 build-linux-ppc/q3cpp ../
install -s -m 0755 build-linux-ppc/q3rcc ../
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34/code/tools/lcc'
make -C code/tools/asm install
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34/code/tools/asm'
install -s -m 0755 q3asm ../
strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file `../q3asm'
install: strip process terminated abnormally
make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34/code/tools/asm'
make[1]: *** [tools] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pika/Desktop/ioquake3stable/1.34'
make: *** [release] Error 2

Sorry. It is because the QVM tools are in 64 bit linux format.

Open Makefile and replace line 33 "BUILD_GAME_QVM   = 1" with "BUILD_GAME_QVM   = 0"

alternatively you can delete all executables from code/tools and code/tools/asm

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 11:39:57 AM »

i ran the resulting dedicated server executable (after putting the baseoa pk3 files in) same result as i got with the one in apt Sad

----------------------
3573 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec q3config.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
Illegal instruction
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: