Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: RCTF problem  (Read 23310 times)
whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: April 10, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »

Hey guys,

I've mentioned in a couple games that I'm having problems with RCTF (esp. getting into /V/'s rctf server). Before this problem began to occur, I had RCTF and RCTF2 in the Mods section of the main menu. Now there's only RCTF. I'm guessing something happened to my RCTF2, but I don't know what. Where can I download this mod?

Thanks.

Whuch (aka RocketLauncher, Gauntlet, OWNAGE, YouGotRailed, or BullShit!!!!!, depending on my mood and/or weapon I'm currently using lol)

Whuch (aka RocketLauncher, Gauntlet, OWNAGE, YouGotRailed, or BullShit!!!!!, depending on my mood and/or weapon I'm currently using lol)
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:11:25 AM »

what happens if you turn on autodownload and connect to viles server ?
whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:56:44 PM »

1. With AutoDL on, the window shows the map name and percentage downloaded, download rate, and all that stuff, but doesn't do anything (not even if I wait for over 5 minutes). So I hit escape, and OA quits (usually it just goes back to the main menu).

2. If I have AutoDL off and connect, OA just quits.

Someone said my RCTF mod is corrupt but I can't find the file on my computer (I use a Mac). If I deleted the file and tried to connect again with AutoDL on, it should work, but I need to find the file first...

thanks

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »

do you have a screenshot?
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »

Try this..
Rename ur baseoa folder to any other name, so when u execute OA another baseoa folder will be created.
Rename also ur RCTF folder to any other name and now try to download the pack from Vile's server...

This is gonna work, so we will be sure u have a corrupted file in ur baseoa folder, or maybe the file shouldn't be there, then u will have to find which one and delete/remove it...

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »

OK I just tried defrag and that made OA quit on me also. Maybe all of my mods are messed up... But I don't know where the individual files for each one would be on my computer. Any mac users who do know who could help would be great.

In respone to <<ME>>, I renamed the baseoa folder to BullShit!!!!! (lol) and OA would not open... I'm guessing the folder has to be called OA for the game to work.

Thanks

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 05:08:04 PM »

I'm guessing the folder has to be called OA for the game to work.
Thanks

OK, my mistake, its not baseoa folder, its the whole OpenArena folder, at least that worked for <<ME>> the last time I couldnt connect to any internet server, I renamed it to LOL...

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »

just do /cvarlist and the paths will all be shown and you will understand where things are supposed to be, you probably have nothing broke.

Remember /cl_allowdownload can toggle on and off  when you load mods.
whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »

Wow so I found all the mods using the /cvarlist command. I tried to delete the RCTF2 and Xonex folders, and when I connected again, it downloaded some maps until a certain point when OA stalled and I had to force quit.

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »

I have Xone server  running here you can try :

62.75.163.69:30003

The latest version which was recent is buggy.   

whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »

I tried connecting and some of the maps DL'ed, then OA stalled and I had to force quit... The maps that were DL'ed went to a folder called XoneXfer... Btw, does anyone know anything about the RCTF2 mod?

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 08:02:57 PM »

No maps should download except the current one.

This can only happen if youve screwed up your baseoa stuff and your fs_base/game etc names are wrong or crap in your config

move your main config and the mod one out of the way and let it generate a default one.

.. or search your configs for the term 'map' and if you dont understand what it does then remove it or look it up because ive seen that option being used in a mod before.

A server can also be mis-configured which would cause this but you can just do /cl_allowdownload 0 to stop it and should be ok once you get the mod files - i think the servers you are connecting to are probably ok. It probably cos you started changing folder names and the game is now confused to where things are or should be Smiley

You could try setting the base path in the config although you might need to start it up with +set .. just remember paths do not include the mod folder, this is set by gamename.

fs_basepath  /.openarena/
fs_homepath /.openarena/
fs_basegame XoneXfer 

If you want everything in the one directory like q3 then create a file ... something.bat (windows) containing a single line like this...

openarena.exe +set fs_homepath "D:\OpenArena\"

.. and click on that to start game. Put the file in the same location as the game, in the example its D:\OpenArena\ (change it to where you have it).

whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »

I removed the RCTF, Xonex, and Xonexfer folder out of the Openarena folder. When I tried to connect again, it DL'ed a some things, then stalled when it got to this: xx-cgame1.3RC8a.pk3. I don't know what it's for but it's only 111kb and after a minute OA quit without downloading it.

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »

Thats the correct file, you might also need this one..

xx-media-pak00.pk3

The server you might be connecting to is using XoneX as the folder name. I dont know why they done this but if you have XoneXfer try making a copy of the folder and call it XoneX.

I've no idea. I can connect ok. Just make sure you have the map, even if you have to manually download it, put the map in baseoa folder... where the mod folders are.
whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 07:03:18 PM »

Thanks for the help even though it still doesn't work... I have the files and everything... In fact, none of my mods work. Defrag, unfreeze, RCTF, you name it, it does not work...

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 08:09:43 AM »

i had a similar problem before, are you using the dll's instead of the vm's by any chance?  i do know some mods (especially defrag) dont like the dll's so much and will cause them to fail.  also, do you have the 0.7.1 update patch? that could be a problem as well.

also, what sort of error are you getting exactly? 
Flipendo
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »

what's a dll?
whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »

I'm not asking for your help with this next problem, but here's what's happening now:

When I connect to ANY multiplayer game, OA freezes and I have to force quit. When I set up a single player skirmish and click Fight, OA quits immediately. So regardless of what I do, I can't play OA.

Great.

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »

also, do you have the 0.7.1 update patch? that could be a problem as well.

also, what sort of error are you getting exactly? 

Thats what i was thinking. I have had no issues like that. I've only used 0.7.1
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »

what's a dll?
in windows it stands for "dynamic link library". its pretty much a file with stuff in it that the game client (or any other exe) uses to do things. in open arena's case, you can use these dll files instead of the vm, or virtual machine (which sorta works like java in a way) to either gain more speed (in the case of so called "speed" dll's) or work around problems that the vm may have.

whuch, try the "defaults" thing in the options and see if that helps. also, make sure you have downloaded the 0.7.1 patch and applied it (its just a pk3 file that goes in the baseoa folder), as it doesnt come with the game.
whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 07:42:18 AM »

I'm wondering if I should just delete everything on my computer that's OA-related and start over.

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »

I'm wondering if I should just delete everything on my computer that's OA-related and start over.

Do it..!!! Cheesy

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »

personally i'd just move all of the open arena related stuff (main game folder if you changed stuff in it, stuff in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\OpenArena) and then see what happens. if it starts up normally start readding things to the application data area until what broke it is found. ive actually had to do this a few times already for bad pk3 related things.
whuch
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 10:39:45 AM »

Yeah, I have a mac, so the path will be different...

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 10:59:33 AM »

personally i'd just move all of the open arena related stuff (main game folder if you changed stuff in it, stuff in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\OpenArena) and then see what happens. if it starts up normally start readding things to the application data area until what broke it is found. ive actually had to do this a few times already for bad pk3 related things.

Thats what I told him to do before...! Cheesy  and that worked for <<ME>>

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: