Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Brightskins!  (Read 58617 times)
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« on: April 14, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »

So I finaly got tired of people cheating in team games by using white skins, so I made some replacement skins for them, then I thought why not just have bright skins for everyone, so here...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u86ga8

edit: The link above is old, everyone should use this one http://www.sendspace.com/file/77497o
the blue is more visible and it's good to have a set standard for unpure server admins.

edit2: Okay, another update =) (http://www.sendspace.com/file/28fjl6) this should be the last one for at least the moment so everyone switch to this and delete thhe old versions!

Just put the file in your baseoa directory, set you player model to sarge(default) in game and put force player models on.

Note this doesn't work on pure servers, unless someone wants to put it on their server I guess.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:02:36 AM by RAZ3R » Logged

RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:09:14 PM »

btw odigo has now added these to his server (brutal ctf).

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »

wouldnt just putting force player models on alone achieve the same non-cheating trick?
then again, i generally go by whatever is on people's heads (there's a triangle over their head if they are on your team) and wether or not they are shooting at me anyway.
kinda nice nontheless, reminds me of what people use in CPMA to make people more visible.
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »

No, with force player models on people using the classic sarge skin still appear white.

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 01:01:19 PM »

odd.. any idea why that would happen?  i mean, isnt force player models supposed to force everyone onscreen to use the same exact model as you other than red/blue?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »

odd.. any idea why that would happen?  i mean, isnt force player models supposed to force everyone onscreen to use the same exact model as you other than red/blue?

The white skins are red and blue. The red and blue part are just small and very bright.

EDIT:

Just tried. It is correct for some reason the force skins has no effect of just one enemy is sarge.

EDIT 2:

Also. It isn't good to have to turn on force models in the first place. It makes it hard to recognize the enemies (if it is someone you know).

I have no idea why force models does not work as expected though.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:38:17 PM by sago007 » Logged

There are nothing offending in my posts.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »

i hate when the white models appear in ctf, makes it very frustrating Sad
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »

doesnt bother me too much, i just shoot at anything that moves. if it doesnt make the hit sound then they are a friendly. of course this only works if friendly fire is off, but most CTF servers do that anyway.
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »

Thx a lot for that pak RAZ3R (again Cheesy)..!! and thx to Odigo by running it on the server..!

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »

the day i will put bright skins in OA will be the day richard simmons is the star of OA

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »

dont give anyone any ideas Wink
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »

the day i will put bright skins in OA will be the day richard simmons is the star of OA
bright models are very needed in oa. OpenArena is filled with dark models and dark maps. As odd as it may seem, I want to see the baddies. At least models that fill up thier hitbox... I usually force models, but still, Tony is so god damn short and dark.
I want to play oa, not hide and seek.

Thanks for these models razer Smiley

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 08:09:59 PM »

ive compensated for the darkness of levels and models by turning up the ingame brightness. works just fine for me. this is also on a monitor where most youtube videos are really dark for some reason.

at least this isnt wolfenstein enemy territory where the hitbox is so inaccurate you can shoot way over someone's head and still get a headshot or shoot to the left or right of someone while they are standing still and still get a hit. (and yes, this is wether lag compensation is on or off).  almost all of the hitbox-related problems in OA are related to lag, not the game engine itself. on unlagged servers and offline the hitbox seems rather normal to me.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 11:26:21 PM »

What exactly is the problem with "white skins" ?  I thought it was just some models which don't have team skins yet and hence appear like normal in CTF games, or it is something else?

BTW, "real" bright skins can be done by modifying (or in some cases creating) shader files for player skins.  I experimented with this a while ago, but I felt like a cheater when I tried them on public servers and haven't used them since.  However if a bunch of good players like RAZ3R and Gerbil are saying they are OK, then I'd be happy to help out making a good brightskin pack.  Although I suspect the best way to do it is as a source code modification, as a client option which doesn't work unless the server allows it with a server option.
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 12:59:48 AM »

When a players skin is white in a team game it can make it harder to tell which team the person is on, which is bad when  making split second decisions, or you may for example see part of someone and ignore them thinking they're on your team when they're not. That's my reason for hating white skins, some people seem to find them harder to see I think.

Bright skins are fine in quake3 (and so openarena), it's accepted that good players use them and it enhances the gameplay (obviously if only one person used them it would give that person an advantage).

Anyway, these skins were only a quick job by me, if you think you could help make some better ones please do. Source code modification isn't really an option though as they wouldn't get used by anyone then (fromhell has already stated they won't go in baseoa, and a lot of admins don't like running lots of mods on their servers - if they did we'd all be playing cpma online I'm sure), and if an admin specificaly doesn't want bright skins on their server I think you have to respect that and just not play there =). I think the best option is a small pk3 file that will work on unpure servers, and admins can put on their pure servers in order to allow them. Just my oppinion though, doesn't make it law =).

On another note odigo is finding the blue skins not visible enough compared to the red skins, and while I don't really have this problem (different graphics settings I would assume) I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way? I've been having a go at tweaking the blue anyway, but it's been hard for me to find a shade of blue that on my screen looks any more visible, so I'd also like to know if people would mind the blue team having some other colour, e.g. green? If not I'll make it the same as the green bright skin used in dm I think.

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 01:16:53 AM »

i downloaded your pack and i am grateful you did this. i'll have the pack in my directory ready for the unpure servers and i'll have to deal with the white skins on the pure ones...

didn't really think about the blue skins as i joined the blue team when i tried it. will get back on that Smiley
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 07:56:02 AM »

ive compensated for the darkness of levels and models by turning up the ingame brightness. works just fine for me. this is also on a monitor where most youtube videos are really dark for some reason.

at least this isnt wolfenstein enemy territory where the hitbox is so inaccurate you can shoot way over someone's head and still get a headshot or shoot to the left or right of someone while they are standing still and still get a hit. (and yes, this is wether lag compensation is on or off).  almost all of the hitbox-related problems in OA are related to lag, not the game engine itself. on unlagged servers and offline the hitbox seems rather normal to me.
turning up brightness wont help for the white models. Try shooting a white model on a white backround. If your purly concentrating on hiting him, thats fine. But if you are strafe jumping while dealing with 2 other people, you will very easily miss the white model, which will lead to your death. It sucks to die due to crappy model coloration.

Everyones hitbox is the same, now compare the sizes of angelyss and tony. Now compare any oa model to a q3 one. I notice a huge hitbox difference in one server that uses models that were the same size as the q3 ones. The oa models were increadibly smaller than those, yet they still had the same hitbox. It is very disjointed.

On another note odigo is finding the blue skins not visible enough compared to the red skins, and while I don't really have this problem (different graphics settings I would assume) I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way? I've been having a go at tweaking the blue anyway, but it's been hard for me to find a shade of blue that on my screen looks any more visible, so I'd also like to know if people would mind the blue team having some other colour, e.g. green? If not I'll make it the same as the green bright skin used in dm I think.
I find the blue ones a little harder to hit, but not that much. More noticible on maps like hydronex and ctf4ish
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:59:29 AM by Gerbil » Logged

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 10:04:36 AM »

hm.... must be my scattershot aim that makes the white models not matter to me. i rarely go to rail unless its all i have (can blame my crappy aim for that, im working on it tho) so if there are a few people in a spot near me i just strafe jump backwards and give em hell with rocket or plasma fire. its also very rare to be on a completely white background ctf map.

as for the hitbox in OA, i dont really notice a difference compared to Q3 honestly, then again i almost always aim for the center or use rocket splash damage anyway. two different play styles i guess.
Derity
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »

the oa models/hitboxes are smaller, i notice especially then, when I play on rocketarena maps like ra3mapXX
the level is bigger Smiley
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 12:02:33 PM »

if they are indeed smaller (i dont notice) then i guess that means all of us OA players who are used to it could pretty much own q3 players with our superior aim Cheesy
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »

See first post, I've updated the pk3 so the blue skin is more visible and evveryone should update to this new version for pure servers.

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 08:46:33 PM »

As far as I can remember I always preferred to join the blue team and hit reds.

In team games it was a novelty having all the different characters but when it comes down to game play then your enemy is going to be one of the same. I always used crash and played against various models, I dont care. I used pm skins of course for enemy, your own team would just be standard color.

Why anyone would think it's fairer to spend time adjusting their monitor and mess around with a dozen settings to make the enemy easier to see I dont understand. For a start you would not be using lightmap unless you enjoy being killed.

With no forced models I remember hearing footsteps of players who were good and I would be considering my escape route Smiley .. but then find it's some new guy using the same model trying to shoot me while I cant see who it is and in the same team!

On OA i always use kyonshi and hate the default model wether its red or blue. I also need to play with brighter maps which  isnt as nice and put my r_lodbias at 1 as it seems to help.

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »

the oa models/hitboxes are smaller, i notice especially then, when I play on rocketarena maps like ra3mapXX
the level is bigger Smiley

Thats very true Smiley On one of the sokar maps it looks like a standard space map.. It might look similar to smaller maps and not only do the models look smaller (from a distance.. you also run slower too Smiley Smiley

Yes I probably did check all my settings wondering why i could get to places as quick as I thought I would. But after all, I am a beginner, no pressure on me Cheesy
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »

*shrugs* i use lightmap just fine without being killed too often, unless of course its by rail campers that i wouldnt even shoot at fast enough anyway.  for me it seems the lightmap/vertex debate is less so in OA than Q3, because i remember in Q3 it being pretty much mandatory to use vertex for DM maps but for me its not a problem in OA.

i personally dont really care for forcing models or having special skins for ctf/teamdm/whatever. why? i play to have fun, not compete. i just rely on the little triangle thing on top of allies to determine friend or foe, or just shoot at em with something weak to see if they hurt. i seem to do just fine for an intermediate player without it, or at least i think so.

you also run slower too
not true, you move the same 320 or so ups as quake 3. run the defrag mod or any other mod that lets you see your speed in q3 and oa if you dont believe me. its just an illusion if anything.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »

When a players skin is white in a team game it can make it harder to tell which team the person is on
That much I understand (thanks for clarifying though), but what I'm asking is why these models have a white skin instead of a red/blue one? Do these models in OA simply lack the team-colored skin images (or definitions), or is it something else?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: