Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tutorial: The Basics  (Read 57805 times)
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »

So some demos like this?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/npx11e
(new ctf map "oa_spirit3" guide)

This is exactly what i mean!
If OA had more of this demos (e.g. for every map), it could be a good startingpoint for all new players.
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »

So some demos like this?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/npx11e
(new ctf map "oa_spirit3" guide)

This is exactly what i mean!
If OA had more of this demos (e.g. for every map), it could be a good startingpoint for all new players.

Maybe so, but lets see what you got to contribute?
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »

Maybe so, but lets see what you got to contribute?

What is your problem?
I do not understand what do you mean.
If you think about something like this
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1694.0
i could help the team. But no one answers me.so i decided to come forward with a new proposal.

On the other hand if you think that i should record a demo for OA you must be silly. RAZ3R or Gerbil are the ones who can play OA. I just play around with the game ;-)
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 11:29:24 PM »

Yes I seen that thread, I didn't see the reply though, I see you clarified that. I just wondered if you wanted content to put up on some nasty commercial site Cheesy
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 08:28:14 AM »

Here's my two cents...

Training your AIM
-----------------

I think its a good habit to practice your aim before actually playing the game with others online. I tend to rail practice on single mode/skirmish on a CTF game mode with 3-4 bots on a difficult level. I'll sometimes sit back to shoot them from a stationary location or on the move to adjust my timing and reflexes. I do this for about 10 minutes or until one sides wins (which is them alot of times, bots aim is lethal). This is a good basic warmup before playing. You will definately notice a difference after a few practices.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 05:46:00 AM »

ok Peter, here is my first time on OA Cheesy Yes its crap and random, but makes me laugh because I am just seeing these models and weapons for the first time and still try to concentrate on my crappy jumps Cheesy I recorded one part at 20 fps and another at 25. I couldnt get the vids to join so I made them both the same fps which affected the play speed on the second half... like i said, noob crap.. then I noticed the audio time was not converted so was totally out of sync, but nothing a random mp3 couldnt sort out Cheesy The last jumps were on q3 and I done the same on OA and there is little difference, but its missing or gets cut for some reason Sad

http://q3eu.com/flash/wtf5/flvplayer.swf
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 09:29:49 AM »

ok Peter, here is my first time on OA Cheesy Yes its crap and random, but makes me laugh because I am just seeing these models and weapons for the first time and still try to concentrate on my crappy jumps Cheesy I recorded one part at 20 fps and another at 25. I couldnt get the vids to join so I made them both the same fps which affected the play speed on the second half... like i said, noob crap.. then I noticed the audio time was not converted so was totally out of sync, but nothing a random mp3 couldnt sort out Cheesy The last jumps were on q3 and I done the same on OA and there is little difference, but its missing or gets cut for some reason Sad

http://q3eu.com/flash/wtf5/flvplayer.swf

Its a good sj Chicken, ur technich is kinda funny but really really good. Keep it going.. Cheesy

Pd: send me a pic of you. XD

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »

i usually play on 1.16.. the movement seems so much better, than the later versions so I guess code must have changed.

http://q3eu.com/flash/wtf/flvplayer.swf

I am an exception to the comments that jumping helps game play. I can't really lie since my stats on CTF say Im in 204 position... out of 206 players Cheesy
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »

I am an exception to the comments that jumping helps game play. I can't really lie since my stats on CTF say Im in 204 position... out of 206 players Cheesy

Where can I see those stats?

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2008, 10:50:45 AM »

oh i just stumbled accross them one day.. i cant remember.. i just want to forget about them.  Cheesy
GoD|Ston3r
Nub

Cakes 6

OooH my GoD ! ! !

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 03:42:24 AM »

"Aside from the standard machine gun you're issued at the beginning of the game and the gauntlet that you carry with you at all times, there are a variety of other weapons scattered around the map. In order to completely own your opponents, you're going to need to grab these weapons and get proficient in their use! Here's a rundown of what's available and what their respective ammo boxes look like."

Gauntlet :

Utility: close combat only (narrow corridors and doorways, turning corners) or last-resort weapon (always available in normals mods), i use too for camper  :p
Damage: direct damage, 50 hp in average (more with speed)
Other: you won a gauntlet medal and send a "humiliation" message (that destroy your enemies morale  :p)
Have to add: avoid using it against rocket launchers, plasma guns or shotguns  Cheesy and straf help lot!
More infos: splash damage : none *, radius damage : none, reload time : 400 msecs, switch time : 450 msecs, holdable ammunition : endlessly, none ammunition.

Machine Gun :

Utility: long range : maybe the best way to kill a player who running away and are to far for your lightning gun (if you don't have railgun), it deals aim knockback.
Damage: 7 hp per bullet (in team deathmatch only 5hp) with a rate of ten shots per second BUT has small degree of spread (approx. 2 degrees) so you will probabely have some lost shots  :p
More infos: reload time : 100 msecs, switch time : 450 msecs, splash damage : N/A *, splash radius : N/A, holdable ammunition : 200, ammuntion pack contain : 50.

Shotgun :

Utility: close range combat (because its large spray diminishes damage with distance) [very useful is space maps like ctf4ish]
Damage: shoots 11 pellets that deal 10 damage each (so a concentrated spread can kill an unarmoured player (110 hp) Wink)
Other: don't forgot you have one second delay between shots with this weapon!
More info: splash damage : N/A *, splash radius : N/A, reload time : 1000 msecs, switch time : 450 msecs, holdable ammunition : 200, ammunition pack contain : 10.

Grenade Launcher :

Utility: useful when somebody is hide and you know his position  Wink, use to barricade entrances and force enemy to take another route (spam corridors where you think the enemy will be, spawn points and the entrances to rooms, or exits of teleporters, for protecting the flag).
Damage: detonate on contact with another player or 2.5 seconds after being launched, direct damage : 100 hp
Other Fires at a rate of 0.8 seconds
More infos: splash damage : 1 to 99 *, splash radius : 150, reload time : 800 msecs, switch time : 450 msecs, holdable ammunition : 200, ammunition pack contain : 5.

Rocket Launcher :

Utility: medium to long range weapon (for close combat splash damage will hit you too)
Damage: direct hit deals 100 damage
Other: rocket jumping (good way to get out of the enemies base  Wink), speed of one rocket: 900-1000ups
Have to add: At short range it is best to aim directly at the enemy. At medium or long range, predict the opponent's movements and try and aim at the ground below him or the any walls close to him.
More infos: splash damage : 1 to 99 *, splash radius : 120 (you see that by shooting the ground before foot's ennemies do more damages  :p), reload time : 800 msecs, switch time : 450 msecs, holdable ammunition : 200, ammunition pack contain : 5

Lightning gun :

Smite your enemies with the hand of Zeus !  Cheesy

Utility: (...) knock back effect on your opponent, so you can hold your opponent in lava, slow down ennemy etc.
Damage: can kill a healthy opponent in less than two seconds because it shoots at 0.05 seconds per pulse, the only requirement is that you need a steady hand to concentrate the ray upon your opponent  Wink
Other: if other shoot you with LG : be either far away (try to escape it with for example rocket jump and then use like mg from distance), or really close, approach left and right at a diagonals and zig zag !
About cg_truelightning <0.0 - 1.0> (default = 0.0) A value of 0.0 is just like the baseq3 version "feel" of the lg.  A value of 1.0 imposes no lag at all (shaft is always rendered on the crosshairs).  A value of 0.5 is a good mix of the two to reduce the wet-noodle effect, while still maintaining consistency of where the server actually sees the shaft.
More infos: switch time : 450 msecs, splash damage : N/A *, splash radius : N/A, holdable ammunition : 200, ammunition pack contain : 60.

Rail gun :

Utility: long range combat or sniping (weapon of choice for those with careful aim and/or a good connection)
Damage: inflicts 100 direct damage but has a low fire rate (default 1.5 seconds)
Other: you can make your team faster with shooting them (useful for catch flags) and if somebody jump in your head and jump by shooting him you can make him jump hight wall  :zwinkern: ; two consecutive shoot give 'impressive medal'
Other: if other shoot you with RG : either switch to MG/PG, or get close. Strafe left and right to make it harder to hit you!
More infos: splash damage : N/A *, radius damage : N/A, reload time : 1500 msecs, switch time : 450 msecs, holdable ammunition : 200, ammunition pack contain : 10.
Tips: most of time it's easily when you have shoot first rail and the player is still alive (because of armor,...) to change weapon and use machine gun or lightning gun (for example) it take 450 msecs in place of waiting reload (1500 msecs) and not be sure to succeed with second rail  :p

Plasma gun :

Utility: close to medium range combat, in places where your opponent has limited horizontal movement ability or distracting/confuse opponents with bright and huge plasma balls (block the enemys view) or really good too when enemy doesn't see you  Wink.
Damage: direct damage : 20 hp per orb and 10 shoots per second
Other: plasma climbing  :zwinkern:, speed of one plasma orb 2000 ups, only takes one bolt to get through the window in oa_bases3  Cheesy
Have to add: at medium or longer range (doesn't lose its power in long range  :zwinkern:), fire a burst of plasma at a spread area, predicting the movements of the opponent!
More infos: splash damage : 1 to 15 *, splash radius : 15, reload time : 100 msecs, switch time : 450 msecs, holdable ammunition : 200, ammunition pack contain : 30.

BFG : (overpowered?)

Utility: All ! ! !
Damage: 5 shots per second, which inflict damage and splash damage 100 hp per cell
Other: can also be use to make higher jump  :zwinkern:
More info: splash damage : 1 to 99 *, splash radius 120, reload time: 200 msecs, switch time: 450 msecs, holdable ammunition : 200, ammunition pack contain : 15.

* Splash damage is damage taken by people near the point of impact

You normally start with gaunlet (endlessly ammunition) and machine gun (100 munitions).

- Taking shotgun weapon give you too 10 munitions.
- Taking grenade launcher weapon give you too 10 munitions.
- Taking rocket launcher give you too 10 munitions.
- Taking lightning gun give you too 100 munitions.
- Taking rail gun give you too 10 munitions.
- Taking plasma gun give you too 50 munitions.
- Taking BFG give you too 20 munitions.

If you never have had a weapon take munitions do nothing...

Now you know all you must for switching weapons, never have low weapons, wat cost rocket jumps etc (look the splash damage),...

The rest is question of training, config, reflex,... and luck  Smiley

Hope that can help you  Wink Happy frags !

"Don't just jump into battle, make sure you are fully equiped. Get a few good weapons, some health and armour."

"Every weapon has its own advantages and therefore to improve your game you must know how and when to use each weapon according to the situation. Gun switching is what separates a good player from a brilliant one."

(correction of errors? ; something to add? ...all other infos are welcome  Wink)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:35:17 AM by GoD|Ston3r » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 06:30:50 AM »

Nail Cheesy
Chain Cheesy
Mines Cheesy

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
GoD|Ston3r
Nub

Cakes 6

OooH my GoD ! ! !

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 06:33:01 AM »

Nail Cheesy
Chain Cheesy
Mines Cheesy

I know nothing about these weapons ^^
BUT if you can say something about this you are welcome Cheesy
(i see you are a nail fan Wink)

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 07:52:54 AM »

I am not going to make a nice formatting but the missionpack weapons (based on my experience):

Nail gun:
Utility: Used to block pathways and splitting up enemies (because they have to dodge it). Is comparable to the shotgun like the plasma is comparable to the machine gun. Effective at medium to close range, can spam at large range.
Damage: 11 slow moving projectiles that does 20 damage each. Projectiles are easily dodged but cannot be ignored due to there heavy damage.
Other: Limited usefulness in duals because the projectiles are easy to avoid if you are aware of them. The weapon kill entire groups of enemies in FFA if they are too busy fighting each other to avoid it.
Have to add: Thing like you are facing the plasma gun.

Prox Launcher:
Utility: Used to block parts of the maps.
Damage: 150 per mine (splash). No selfdamage (even if you mine yourself) or teamdamage. People can be mined directly.
Other: Mines expire after 20 seconds. They can be destroyed by any weapon capable of slash damage (plasma, rockets, grenade or mines). Mines placed in a group will detonate each other.

Chain gun:
Utility: Close to medium combat. Spray too large for long distance.
Damage: 7 per bullet (5 in team DM). Massive firerate.
Other: Full ammo last only a few seconds (biggest problem). Spray 3 times larger than the machine gun.

People who play more online than me might have a better idea about the strengths and weaknesses but this provide some technical details you need to survive them.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2009, 02:46:35 PM »

@GoD|Ston3r and sago007
Excellent weapon guide.
Prox Launcher also can be used for jumps, you can detonate it with RL so your rocket jump will be longer or even plasma can do the trick. Though, worst weapon ever.
Would be nice to see this guide on OA Wiki.
GoD|Ston3r
Nub

Cakes 6

OooH my GoD ! ! !

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2009, 06:49:33 PM »

Excellent weapon guide.
(...)
Would be nice to see this guide on OA Wiki.

Smiley So i want copyright, lot of money, some advantages,... Cheesy
(lol, joke of course Wink)

I will be Glad (or Dead lol) if we put this in wiki ^^
BUT...can we at least say the source (like i have done in the end of my topic ^^ + sago007 of course Wink)

Greetings.

MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »

I will be Glad (or Dead lol) if we put this in wiki ^^
BUT...can we at least say the source (like i have done in the end of my topic ^^ + sago007 of course Wink)

It's not common to post credits on the Wiki, but you always can see contributors to the article on History page. I think it also would be correct to specify link to your posts in this thread as source along with links to another materials used to create this guide.
GoD|Ston3r
Nub

Cakes 6

OooH my GoD ! ! !

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 03:01:21 AM »

It's not common to post credits on the Wiki, but you always can see contributors to the article on History page.

It's ok no problem Wink

I think it also would be correct to specify link to your posts in this thread as source along with links to another materials used to create this guide.

I don't understand really good what you mean.. You will mean say wich materials i use to have these infos? Because i can say it exactely : i have read some things here in forum, some of wiki, some values from a quake 3 guide [AquaQuake3Guide.html] and QL infos where i adapt some value, add my personal knowledge and speak with some players & my mates of course...think it's all...ahh i also read the 'john camarck guide' Cheesy

But i'm ok to put this in wiki! Should i make it myself & how make it? I must delete old and put mine (don't wanna delete work of other...)?

(must add i'm a bit inactive right now cuz of abroad's holiday)

MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15:05 AM »

I don't understand really good what you mean.. You will mean say wich materials i use to have these infos? Because i can say it exactely : i have read some things here in forum, some of wiki, some values from a quake 3 guide [AquaQuake3Guide.html] and QL infos where i adapt some value, add my personal knowledge and speak with some players & my mates of course...think it's all...ahh i also read the 'john camarck guide' Cheesy

I meant to only provide links so people can access resorces used to create this guide Smiley Also that part about cg_trueLightning was from OSP docs, available to download from this page http://www.orangesmoothie.org/download.html

But i'm ok to put this in wiki! Should i make it myself & how make it? I must delete old and put mine (don't wanna delete work of other...)?
You can just register on the wiki and edit current article. Myself, i don't see anything wrong with it if your guide is more detailed and even partially based on previous one. But still possible that there's something missing in your guide that exists in old one, this needs carefully checking and updating. Maybe someone else has different opinion on this point.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: