Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Note on Delag affecting mouse / movement  (Read 12700 times)
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« on: June 18, 2008, 06:03:41 AM »

Well it doesn't affect the mouse or input, it affects movement and physics.

If you happen to find your mouse with strange behaviour then try this..

/seta cg_optimizePrediction "0"

Here's a link that maybe of interest for the more technical people
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:45:41 AM »

----

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:26:18 PM by CFQ » Logged

I blanked my posts because I don't like this forum anymore! BAWWWWW
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:56:11 AM »

Chick is famous for unproven technique stuff! :-C

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 06:35:19 PM »

CFQ - Yes I certainly can demonstrate it but I do not know what code has been implemented in 0.7.7 but it looks very familiar.

Fitacus is correct, I have basic knowledge and all I can do is ask people who do know. I don't pay attention nor do I understand the reasons.

Being simple minded, a use a simple solution to quickly find out how the server responds. A simple example is a bind I have that makes me rotate in the air quickly (using yaw speed), and when I land I should always be facing the same direction I jumped. So you don't need to use any maths, all I done was use wait; and keep adjusting it so I land in the same direction I jumped. If you started landing in all sorts of directions, thats when you know something is wrong. Changing that value above fixed the problem for me. I dont care how rare or if it only affects a minority. It affected me and it may be a quick fix for others. Now that the input is the hot topic I would have probably assumed it was the input code.

I understand there is a relationship between fps 125 and the netcode. But not all servers you connect to will use net based fps. I will always use server which calculates fps using pmove_accurate calculations.

I would not be suprised that the physics change if you are using cpu physics yet using an optimisation designed for network based fps. Yes, this may mean it may not affect baseoa, but may affect players in a modified game. Then again, what cvars are available, we may not know. This is another grey area for me. All I know is the more I try and explain, the more I  will be mocked and corrected when I'm wrong, even though I don't pretend to know. When there are more things for server admins to mess around with, then my own personal view is that I would not be so quick to jump to conclusions that my mouse is broke or the code is broke.

I asked a question not so long ago about defining cvars in configs that were not declared as cvars on the server (they still had an effect). Someone was kind enough to try give an explanation, but I realised I was just opening a can of worms trying to understand it Smiley
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:19:02 PM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:28:12 PM by CFQ » Logged

fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:47:16 PM »

Well it is not a trick move. You can learn alot in a few seconds by a binded circle jump or jump in the air. If your fps is not the same value on land you will not land in the expected position. The circle jump enabled you to stand at any point in any map then seen what affect it has. With q3 physics it has never failed me. If I do a normal jump then everything is fine. If I jump too early and end up in some random mess then it means I do not have 125fps.

It's a bit like binding a move then changing the g_speed. The results will be awful even if you have the same fps
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:28:33 PM by CFQ » Logged

fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 09:22:55 AM »

oh I tried to re-create the effect, but could not. I dont know what was worse, trying to find what it was or trying to get rid of it.

I wonder if  combination of these cvars defined the old aimtype settings where you had select one between 1 and 4 I think.

The effect of this was that if you increase the aimtype, there was more of a compressed feel with movement but aim was more accurate.  I used to check these out on noghost as you just select g_delag 0-4 and remember you could create very strange effects with them Cheesy

Using delag with hitscan definately gives you greater control over movement, without the delag its a bit more wobbly.. well I cant think how to explain it Smiley A decent player would probably be able to strafe in a straight line faster without delag, but in a game it is barely notable and it is easier to control I think.

But I think without delag you need 125 fps as well as cl_maxpackets 125 to have the same kind of physics.

What I was referring to was something MUCH worse, it must be affected by other settings. It was ages ago I noticed it but the server had silly settings, like sv_fps 50 and stuff. I kind of panicked because I noticed it in other servers. I agree with what you say, I found the same thing. However the crazy movement happened twice at different times Smiley I hope you find it.. only joking

Is there a var called cg_optimization by any chance?
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:28:53 PM by CFQ » Logged

fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:30:24 AM »

MORE SPAM Cheesy

I think I'll make this my blog thread, when posts go missing I'll be sure to notice them and I scream so fucking loud but will  remain within the boundries of the rules.

I have often seen people referring to ping, like it's a major problem or issue.. but I guess it maybe excuses too. With delag and hitscan enabled, and the optimisation thing set properly, then you should be able to play players up to 500 ping and there will be very little difference in gameplay. I was also very suprised when someone seemed like I was suggesting  something unthinkable because he had 250 ping and it was insane to suggest you could play with such a margin when I had 60

Now, there is a little brat from Malaysia that often kicks my ass, and not long ago was pretty new to the game. Usually you find people accepting up to 300 ping but she rarely has ping under 500... sometimes affected by 999's which may last a second every now and then but no different to hit than a player with same ping as me. We just used to make fun because it just seemed unrealistic that there was any kind of hope and there are occasions where the rate was just too bumpy to play at all. I think I will embarrass her by recording a demo and will be a good card to play when people whine about a little increase in ping when I move min packets up Smiley I guess that the rate is probably the important factor in such cases as the server seems ok with dealing it, otherwise the player will time out.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:32:15 AM by missbehaving » Logged
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:46:28 AM »

this is the full cvars list contained in cg_main.c Cheesy

^^

Thank you sir. I didn't know that was from cg_main.c - I now put..
/set cg_main.c 1

in my config. It's a wonderful feeling when people help ya \Cheesy/

Are there any servers where people are testing 77?

ps only jokin about the cg_main thing - I just wanted to get Fitacus's hopes up to make him think he  found a real diamond when it comes to technikal noobness  Smiley
zuma
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:17:35 AM »

the famous elpajuo rocket jump- its made to be used under steady, stable 125 fps. i used it at e-cafe, where i got 125 always, and it always worked. it dosnt work at home where i dont have 125 fps.
also ages ago i read it everywhere- pmove_fixed 1 screws up movement and aim. and its true. i got experience playing on some public russian q3 servers that occasionally had it set to 1. the game feeling was so off.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:23:54 AM by zuma » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: