Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for next release  (Read 13965 times)
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« on: April 22, 2008, 03:30:50 PM »

just a couple of thoughts, if anyone else can think of ideas, post away Smiley

console commands:
change crosshair color
show speedometer
there is a lot of features in the excessive mod in terms of console commands that would be nice in oa.

Game modes:
RCTF, its like the instagibbed rail, only the rail also acts as a rocket launcher when rocket jumping(it does not deal splash damage, just propels you and only you forward) The rail also has a faster fire rate. For returning the flag, you must do it manually.
videos: http://youtube.com/watch?v=NG7aYtV0ST4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jUntuscERmo

perhaps some ingame way to let people know that a new version has been released? Like if someone tries to join a server with a different version of oa/a patch of oa, the message you will get is check openarena.ws for possible new releases

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »

just a couple of thoughts, if anyone else can think of ideas, post away Smiley

console commands:
change crosshair color
show speedometer

Im with you on this.. I really want to change my crosshair color instead a tinny white dot which is INVISIBLE in some space maps.

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 05:19:44 PM »

i'd like at least a speedometer, it would help people who are just learning how to strafe jump in baseoa instead of needing to use defrag or another mod to find out how fast you are going.

as for crosshair color, i use the big + crosshair and i never really have a problem seeing it. as far as im concerned, no matter what color you change it you will eventually run into a map where it blends in with the scenery anyway. it would be a nice option though, maybe tie it in with the rail color.

i personally dont like rctf much, the matches tend to take more than twice as long as normal ctf matches thanks to requiring twice the time to score (due to having to also bring back the flag manually and constantly being instagibbed) or end up being very one-sided since all the good railers flock to one side. personally i do like the explosive rail though, very handy if you dont have rockets handy or you dont want to have to switch to rockets just to get somewhere out of the way.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »

RCTF, its like the instagibbed rail, only the rail also acts as a rocket launcher when rocket jumping(it does not deal splash damage, just propels you and only you forward) The rail also has a faster fire rate.

The rail radius boost could be sv_ cvar'd and not a game type
the manual flag returning could also be sv_ cvar'd, and interesting

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 02:14:36 AM »

Idea 1:What about giving the chance to edit lower md3's and upper md3's through the game console

Idea 2:InBuilt Audio/Media palyer so u can listen to ur own music during the game Smiley something simalar to the UT2004 Player

Idea 3:Dont have 1

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:29:27 AM »

Idea 1:What about giving the chance to edit lower md3's and upper md3's through the game console

animation system won't ever allow that

Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »

as for crosshair color, i use the big + crosshair and i never really have a problem seeing it. as far as im concerned, no matter what color you change it you will eventually run into a map where it blends in with the scenery anyway. it would be a nice option though, maybe tie it in with the rail color.

i personally dont like rctf much, the matches tend to take more than twice as long as normal ctf matches thanks to requiring twice the time to score (due to having to also bring back the flag manually and constantly being instagibbed) or end up being very one-sided since all the good railers flock to one side. personally i do like the explosive rail though, very handy if you dont have rockets handy or you dont want to have to switch to rockets just to get somewhere out of the way.

Its just that the big + makes it harder to see people Sad It is true that you will likely find a map that it blends into, reguardless of color, but at least we have the option to change it Smiley

rctf matches are actaully much quicker than regular ctf matches, being that a skilled rail jumper will be able to move throughout the map very quickly.

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »

using a smaller cg_crosshairsize would remedy not being able to see people as well if its really a problem. in fact, one of the q3 players i was trained by in my early days suggested trying using the crosshair with the big circle and dot in the middle with a smaller cg_crosshairsize to get weaned into using the dot. i eventually found the dot itself too hard to see so i went to the cross instead.

dunno, in my experience with rctf its quite the opposite. no matter how fast or high you go someone is gunna rail you out of the air if you have either flag. usually ends up being an hour long stalemate until enough people get bored and leave. dunno, maybe i just have a bad run of luck in rctf games or something.
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 04:02:01 PM »

using a smaller cg_crosshairsize would remedy not being able to see people as well if its really a problem. in fact, one of the q3 players i was trained by in my early days suggested trying using the crosshair with the big circle and dot in the middle with a smaller cg_crosshairsize to get weaned into using the dot. i eventually found the dot itself too hard to see so i went to the cross instead.

Yea, ok, we know that bla bla bla.. but, Are u fromhell going to allow the crosshair color chages for 0.8? PLEASE Cheesy ?!

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »

Are u fromhell going to allow the crosshair color chages for 0.8? PLEASE Cheesy ?!
I don't think it's a matter of permission, but a matter of a coder stepping up to the plate and writing the new code for such a feature.
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 01:36:21 AM »

could probably "borrow" code from other mods that allow crosshair color changing possible, with permission of course.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »

could probably "borrow" code from other mods that allow crosshair color changing possible, with permission of course.
not exactly perfectly legal when borrowing code derived from the quake3 sdk source.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »

not exactly perfectly legal when borrowing code derived from the quake3 sdk source.

you will often be able to diff/patch yourself out of the problem, especially if the mod is based on the 1.32 SDK that are identical to the GPLed one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:25:38 PM by sago007 » Logged

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: