Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WIP] Merman  (Read 24678 times)
enki
Nub

Cakes 3

« on: October 12, 2006, 05:12:53 PM »

I'm trying to do a new model for Open Arena. modeling is almost finished, I will just add fish-like fin in blender (I can't do real planes in Wings3d).
I hope I'll be able to finish it. :s

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 12:13:22 PM »

the face seems small, maybe the jaw is doing that

and of course those front edgeloops

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
enki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 03:17:57 PM »

Now the "bad" edge-loops are gones. Smiley
For the face, it's only resized in the vertical axis, to make his cranium looks heavier, like on my sketches, I've resized the cranium and enlarged shoulders too, that's why the face look even more smaller.
it was on purpose, to make it look less human. I'll try with a big face too to be sure it's the good choice.
I'll post a new screenshot later, when it will be done. Smiley
enki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:34:11 PM »

I'm doing the skin now Smiley
The shape and style are now a bit different, more like a classical merman (thx leileilol for the goods advices).

I had the bad idea to make the tails UV symetrical, so it's hard to make a scale pattern without an ugly effect in the middle (it's not too visible in this render). But.. I may have a solution.

hope you like it Cheesy
Speedator
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 10:26:25 AM »

Wow, fine, fine!
Can't wait for it Tongue
enki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 05:55:13 PM »

Smiley
now I'm figuring out how to animate it. That may take time ^^ (but I guess the model will be finished before Christmas).
I'll probably redo the fish-part textures or use a special shader, to add scales.

one more screenshots, in-game test :

white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »

great work, enki.

i spent quite a while looking at the difference between the mesh and the skinned model. i hadn't realised how much the shading on the skin smooths out the look of a model. if i'd only seen the final result i would have imagined it to have had a lot more polys than it really did.

the animation of the lower body looks like more of a challenge than the usual biped, but it has loads of possibilities. you could have him jumping around like a landed fish, gliding along with the fin pushing the ground or have the tail udulate like a snake. i'm interested to see what you come up

white haired boy.

enki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 04:05:46 AM »

Yeah I discover many thing while doing this model (I'm still a beginner at game-oriented modeling).
Textures can hide many problems in the mesh, it's like make-up for women :p.
A clean/simple mesh make rigging/animation a lot easier too. Sometimes it's better to do a mesh that is not correct or too simple, but easier to anim/texture. My model is a bad exemple though, it is not enough "regular".
Every steps (modeling, Uvmapping, texturing, rigging, animation), if did well, make the next step a lot easier.

If you didnt yet, you can looks at the .blend in the svn, to see how are made models :
http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/models/

"the animation of the lower body looks like more of a challenge than the usual biped, but it has loads of possibilities."

Yeah I though it would be easier..but it's not !

The tail being not long enough, it'll be more a left-right movement of the bottom of the tail than a real snake movement. (I could move the torso lower to have more tail on the ground, but it would looks weird I guess)
white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 12:55:44 PM »

i'm new to game modelling myself. i'm reasonable comfortable with the modelling and i'm working on uvmapping now.

thanks for the link, looking at some of the other models will be a great help.

white haired boy.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 08:23:47 AM »

The tail being not long enough, it'll be more a left-right movement of the bottom of the tail than a real snake movement. (I could move the torso lower to have more tail on the ground, but it would looks weird I guess)

I think the animation works out pretty good, but what about the teamplay skins?

enki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 06:16:31 PM »

err..I tottaly forgot to do them lol

there is still many thing unfinished with the model though: deaths sequence are to redo partially,  medium and low res model, an icon for the menu.. but this will wait a bit, I'm busy with severals projects at the same time.

oh and sorry for the pics, I've cleaned up my ftp without thinking about the links ^^. I'll reupload some later.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 12:05:56 AM »

it's no biggy, but people are in for some oddities if they use the model as seen here:

enki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 01:58:39 PM »

ah weird, maybe because of the alpha map ? or a bad shader ?

new version, maybe it will fix that bug:

(edit : see link in the bottom for the file)

I redid a part of the UVmap, CTF skins, and fixed a death sequence were the merman would remain standing up.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:32:12 PM by enki » Logged
enki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 10:35:13 PM »

OK, reuploaded the .zip:
LOD models are now done & Ive corrected the paths in the .md3, so this time textures should be showing correctly for others. Smiley

EDIT: update again, there was several duplicated vertex that were causing little glitches in the shader.
01102006-merman.zip
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:31:05 PM by enki » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 09:34:06 AM »

The model looks much better in teamplay now. 

Not sure what the previous problem was, the engine is supposed to default to sarge when a particular model can't be found and I wasn't able to reproduce the effects as seen in the shot I uploaded before.

Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 01:59:11 AM »

How do I use this model? It's not in a usual MD3 file or whatever they are. Is it as simple as zipping everything and renaming?

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 02:27:22 PM »

Check out the latest version from the svn and run the batch file.  (Keeping backups of your current *.pk3's of course).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: