Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: OA Freezing, wtf?  (Read 24479 times)
Case

Cakes -3

« on: May 28, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »

I'm not sure why but for the last week my OA client keeps freezing randomly when I play, it's not lag or hardware problems because I can play other 3d games like doom3. I think when I'm frozen i'm getting this error Delta parseEntitiesNum too old. Please help I don't know what's going on here. Is there a way to run OA with full debugging or is that on by default?
Sad
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:51:15 PM »

n/m about the Delta parseEntitiesNum but how do I get it to stop freezing?
Taiyo.uk
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:16:59 AM »

Does this freezing only happen when you're playing on line? If so it sounds like you're freezing because of a poor connection. That's why you're receiving the Delta parseEntitiesNum too old errors.

Try connecting to servers with a low ping and make sure nothing else is hogging your internet connection.
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:07:50 AM »

Im glad to see you around here...! Cheesy

Honestly Case, its a server problem, it happens with some other players too, not ME, but there are some other guys who told me about it...
The server has 2 other problems, when you are playing in, it "kicks" you out, common messages? Well.. these 2

1) delta parse entities num old (or whatever, cant remember it well)
2) something about the HunkMegs

I already told Alma she should fix that, but........ but..... *sigh*
I put a link to a q3 - NoGhost forums if Alma gets here and its in THIS topic

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »

I've already narrowed it down to a client issue; the freezing happens all the time single player and multi; and I can play other 3D games like Doom 3 without issues so it's not my video card(I'm going to recheck this because I only played doom for like 10 minutes); I reinstalled it but I did this through my package manager so I'm going to completely remove this time around and remove all my pk3s, etc, I'm also about 20 seconds away from just throwing my computer at the wall, but I'll recheck everything before I do. I also posted this message to the Ubuntu forums too but got no replies.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 02:54:18 PM »

You should throw your hard drive away instead
because uh
I don't like ubuntu either

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »

its not ubuntu it's the openarena client
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »

both 7.0 and 7.6 are freezing Sad
<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »

Yea, you should remove all ur .cfg's and ur .pk3's files and reinstall OA completly. But If you guess which files are corrupted, then you can just delete/remove those files.
In my opinion you should start doing that, if the problem continues, well... Throw away ur computer... Tongue

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »

It also helps to mention what your video card is

Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »

Okay I have tried everything now and no luck.
My card is a Nvidia Gforce4 and again it plays doom 3 without problems.
<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »

Doom 3 online? have you tried to play any other games online? Maybe q3?  no problems?

kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 02:32:22 AM »

Make sure you haven't got any viruses, or any other processes running. (Guess if you are on linux you don't need to worry about the first thing.)
Also do not run it in windowed mode.
Mr. Oho
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

I will press the button!

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »

k, it just got worse, now I can't play at all ;(
it was letting me play a few minutes without breaking but now its constant. Is there a way to debug this app?

I think this ended up in the wrong thread Wink

Anyways im not sure what you mean by debug. Like run it in a debugger? Nothing would stop you from doing this though most debuggers on linux i saw are sadly kinda crappy :/ If you just want more output you might try running it with +set developer 1 but im not sure if it will be of much use...
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »

Open Arena has forsaken me after 2 years(it feels like more) of enjoyment! Argh! I ran it under gdb  and used the developer option in game but it didn't give me any relevance to the freezing, although the 'stitched 40 LoD cracks' statement I saw was weirding me out, what else is there to do but give up? I don't understand how others don't have a problem with the client, my hardware is fine, my connection (which has nothing to do with it since it happens in single player too) is fine, and yet it won't let me play Sad

I ran it in a failsafe terminal, using linux, and I've played every 3d game I have without problem :/ I can even play Urban Terror without problem and it uses the same engine!! what gives? Do the developers just hate me??
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 07:04:40 PM by Case » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 10:37:25 PM »

stitch LoD cracks?
try fiddling with r_lodbias -3 to 8

It baffles me because the Geforce2MX is still a supported card in drivers, maybe nvidia broke something for that card. It happened with the Geforce2GTS in 2005 Sad

Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 01:31:32 AM »

Death of a video card; I found the problem. Earlier I was playing Urban terror and that started freezing as well, then I switched compiz on and that was a train wreck. My video card has died.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 03:00:31 AM »

it happens sooner or later. i bought a new monitor some years ago, i was sure it had blown up. but it was my geforce2 that had expired and gone to meet its maker...
rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »

i run 0.7.6 and i get freezing online a lot

and its completely ruined the game for me

i NEVER had this problem on previous versions and my connection is always really good so its not that

playing has become a joke sadly

like i play CTF all the time and love it - but at critical moments in the game the F***NG thing will freeze or the screen will jerk around

7-7 - im running with the flag to win the game , im yards away .....and....SHIIIIIIIT!!!

the fkn thing will freeze and some bastid blows my head off  and we end up losing

happens a lot

i love OA -but its become pointless playing it to be honest

the engine seems to be shagged to pieces

drives me nuts

Sad
<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »

i run 0.7.6 and i get freezing online a lot

and its completely ruined the game for me

i NEVER had this problem on previous versions and my connection is always really good so its not that

playing has become a joke sadly

like i play CTF all the time and love it - but at critical moments in the game the F***NG thing will freeze or the screen will jerk around

7-7 - im running with the flag to win the game , im yards away .....and....SHIIIIIIIT!!!

the fkn thing will freeze and some bastid blows my head off  and we end up losing

happens a lot

i love OA -but its become pointless playing it to be honest

the engine seems to be shagged to pieces

drives me nuts

Sad

Thats why ME uses 0.7.1... Smiley
Where do u play CTF usually?? there is a server called Nemesis, u should try it someday...

[TASF]Overkill
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 08:52:02 PM »

My machines (all of them) freeze up often when new players join, and I'm on a LAN with my server. Others experience the issue as well... But not everyone. My machines are pieces of shit, so I assumed it was the models getting cached for the first time off the hdd, but... if you can run doom3, you're not on a piece of shit.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 12:40:43 AM »

it has happened to me as well. locks up and when it gets rolling again you're already dead.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 03:22:10 AM »

but... if you can run doom3, you're not on a piece of shit.

Ge-force 4 says it is. He would have to disable every feature & run at 640x480 to get even just a respectable frame rate.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 03:28:57 AM »

it has happened to me as well. locks up and when it gets rolling again you're already dead.

Are you sure that the game does not lock up because you die?

The game is not supposed to cache player models when they join. Instead they should be cached upon checking the score. Since the score is displayed when you die it will often freeze just before the death message appear. If a player has joined and you are feeling secure you can call the scoreboard up to force model loading before dying.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 04:21:12 AM »

Are you sure that the game does not lock up because you die?

The game is not supposed to cache player models when they join. Instead they should be cached upon checking the score. Since the score is displayed when you die it will often freeze just before the death message appear. If a player has joined and you are feeling secure you can call the scoreboard up to force model loading before dying.

i'm pretty sure that it's not because i die. it's not always a certain death, it dependes on whether i'm in a fight when it happens or not. i also play with forcemodels so the model loading should not be that big a problem. if i remember correctly the lagometer displays some odd signals - but the most irritating thing is that i cannot move, but i can see the other players running around shooting, and it's not delayed actions or people running into walls. i can even type and send messages when it locks up. but it happens very rarely so i've never really cared about looking for reasons Tongue
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: