Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPLed but untextured maps  (Read 11139 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« on: May 30, 2008, 12:59:22 PM »

It has started to get popular to release maps under the GPL. I just wanted to mention a few of the authors that have chosen to contribute to the world.

With texture packs like TRaK's it should be possible to give them a look to suit.

Spirit:
http://maps.sp1r1t.org/
There is already one of his maps in OA (I think dmn_clown converted it) and I wouldn't mind some more.

Lunaran:
http://www.lunaran.com/

Vondur:
http://wp.vondur.net

It is quite a lot of maps and if someone want to take the hard task of retexturing one or more of them it would be appreciated.

You might want to make a post here first so there isn't multiple people texturing the same map.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:03:36 AM »

Excellent news. I hope to have some time in the future to do some of this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »

There's also rpg3dm1 which author's site has been down for quite some time Sad but it's in the OA svn, left alone!

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 12:55:34 AM »

If it's merely a matter of choosing replacement textures, then that's within my capabilities and I'll probably tackle a map after my exams are finished.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:22:55 AM »

I'll take a look.

I'll post more once I find a map that appeals to me. Wink
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:24:18 PM »

I have began work retexturing Lunaran's map Lun3DM2 aka "Lets Drink Beer and Shoot Things".
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 06:37:28 AM »

I'm now working on oa_nemesis, a retexturing of Vondur's map "Nemesis Online".  The original theme was kinda techy and kinda gothic, but I'm going to make it mostly gothic, using his other map in OA, "Khaooohs", as a guide.
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »

I'm now working on oa_nemesis, a retexturing of Vondur's map "Nemesis Online".  The original theme was kinda techy and kinda gothic, but I'm going to make it mostly gothic, using his other map in OA, "Khaooohs", as a guide.
Why would you want to retexture a map instead of just providing a pak with the missing textures (textures having the same name and which are similar to the originals)?

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 12:56:20 AM »

Why would you want to retexture a map instead of just providing a pak with the missing textures (textures having the same name and which are similar to the originals)?
Using different texture names (which is by far the easiest part) means the original map will still work correctly if somebody downloads and plays it.
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »

Using different texture names (which is by far the easiest part) means the original map will still work correctly if somebody downloads and plays it.
If I understand correctly, providing a pak with the missing textures (you could contribute to jack thompson's pak) is easier than changing each Q3 map.

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: