Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheating...  (Read 35034 times)
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 27, 2008, 01:43:31 AM »

So I'm definitely not the best OA player, but I think I'm a bit above average.  Lately when playing CTF with several noob-like-players I've been accused of cheating, apparently because I win.  Of course I'm just playing normally.... I don't even know how you would cheat if you *could* cheat, or if its even possible.  So just to know once and for all, on a pure server playing online, is it even possible for someone to cheat in any way?  I'm not interested in it myself, but I suspect that it isn't possible which would put these "cheater" claims to rest...
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:37:56 AM »

of course you can cheat in openarena, and it's easy! just go into your settings and go to your player setup. in the player name field you erase everything and type "p" followed by a "u","l","c","h" and finally a "r". now you go to the main menu, enter multiplayer and pick an online server. upon entering the server you just repeatedly hammer the fire button and everyone will die! easy as that!
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »

Doesn't the pure setting only bar you from using 3rd party pak files? I don't know anything about this but I assume you could get around that if you hack your client. That would be really lame though.

Quake 3 definately has cheats. I don't know if they are compatible with ioquake3 or Openarena.

Fortunately, a Google  search for "openarena cheat" doesn't bring up anything relevant for at least the first 3 pages. Smiley
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »

actually just ignore this post (removed)

I just realised something

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:38:08 PM by missbehaving » Logged
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:55:07 AM »

but if one was cheating it would be pretty clear, right?  I mean if I'm running around fighting and getting the flag as one normally does, its clear that there is no cheating going on...right...?
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:38:31 AM »

I think the cheating is very limited here. Most ppl who accused people as cheaters doesn't know about strafe jumping or rocket jumping and people who aim very well. I used to be one of these people who accused ppl like (Odigo, Bogie, Gerbil, etc) as cheaters but they are just that good. Eventually, the more you play the better you get and more informed you become about adjusting your settings. If adjusting your settings is considered cheating, then I guess we are all cheaters.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:22:56 AM »

I am a cheater Sad  cause I use vertex light..! and thats bad Sad

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »

is it cheating to zoom in for better aim?
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 12:55:32 PM »

its cheating for zooming and cheating for putting colors in your name.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:13:12 AM »

I've been playing for a long time and there are a few that I'm suspicious of. Most people know who I'm talking about. And what I find strange is before 7.1 these super high scores weren't ever seen. I don't know if it was quake 3 players coming to play OA or what, but there has to be something going on Smiley I do know that there are third party 'cheats' for the ioquake engine. I'm sure in the right hands someone could use it with OA. You could probably just copy/paste the aimbots into the client's source. Or have everyone download an evil pk3 from an evil server honk honk Wink jk 
But no, they do play a lot.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:16:44 AM »

IT'S CHEATING IF YOU ROCKET JUMP OR DO A JUMP WHEN YOU'RE WALKING FORWARD
DON'T DO THESE THINGS!!!!
I highly recommend BZFLAG there is no CHEATING

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »

I think your cheating when you have 100% accuracy, or when you rocket jump do a 180 and a headshot 5 times in a row.
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 03:27:51 PM »

but why is zooming cheating?  it is a normal function that everyone can use... and jumping when walking forward?  thats cheating?  come on, thats just normal movement that is allowed by the game, same with rocket jumping.  I mean cheating like artificially increasing strength or shield, or somehow killing others without aiming and shooting like normal.  It seems that there aren't so many possibilities...
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 04:14:29 PM »

picking up ammo boxes when you already have ammo left is also cheating
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 06:26:16 PM »

wrong thread Smiley srry
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 06:57:32 PM by Case » Logged
Mr. Oho
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

I will press the button!

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 06:29:44 PM »

Lets not forget about switching weapons infight! And dont even get me started about always run... mad
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 12:57:41 AM »

Wow, it seems like everyone has a different idea of what is cheating and what is not cheating.   I consider any movement allowed by the unmodified version of OA not cheating...  Jumping while running forward?  So you you can't jump to dodge something if you're walking forward?  thats ridiculous.  Everyone can do it, it doesn't require tweaking the controls or anything.  Not cheating!
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 08:02:19 AM »

kilgore I hope this diagram can help you understand:
Code:
 *    <-- joke

O
-+-   <-- you
/ \
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 09:33:16 AM »

Ha ha ha ok, I was starting to think so!   So I shouldn't worry about cheaters or cheating or the jerks who take all the ammo Tongue
odigo
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 08:37:39 AM »

DON'T DO THESE THINGS!!!!
I highly recommend BZFLAG there is no CHEATING

I REALLY hope you're joking
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »