Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GNU/Linux oddities  (Read 12582 times)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« on: November 02, 2006, 06:59:45 AM »

For starters, thank you for providing a free (as in speech) game.

With that out of the way, however, Open Arena causes a few problems when installed alongside Quake 3 due to the directory structure.  Basically it overwrites Quake 3 settings in the user's ~/.q3a directory and removes the bots from the Quake 3 game.

Shouldn't the directory structure of Open Arena be changed to prevent this conflict?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 11:20:20 AM »

That's a recent change in the ioq3 project where it uses the user's own settings folder to store its settings and such.

Now if I can only push div0 to fix this and make new binaries for all 3 platforms :\

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:58:23 AM »

Ahh, thanks.

It probably wouldn't be an issue if there were botfiles as both games could be ran with the same settings.  (Maybe I should just shutup and re-write them unless someone else is working on that?)

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:30:46 AM »

Yeah if we had from-scratch botfiles with its own fuzzy logic code and such we'd have no problem enabling bots, but right now enabling bots will just bring tons and tons and tons of console spam.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 10:41:47 PM »

Ya know, in looking through Mr. Elusive's fuzzy logic I have to wonder if it wasn't GPL'd simply because of the fact that it looks like it was coded by a CS grad student. Wink  The only reason there would be an undefined default case in any program is if your prof demanded it, and he has a lot of them.

Needless to say I am trying to accomplish the same thing, using the same floating point system that he used to keep compatibility with the other bots that are out there (And the current bot designers), but doing it differently.  I have the fuzzy weights redone, but  its not just the fuzzy weights that need to be re-done, botlib (which is GPL'ed) calls weapons.c, items.c  syn.c, rnd.c, match.c and rchat.c and things don't seem to work properly without them (Well the chat files can be skipped over).

As soon as I've got something that works and is interesting (Without being a cut paste hack job)  I'll upload it here, if that is all right?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 11:52:23 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 12:09:16 AM »

yep. I have c and h files allowed to be attached for a reason =)

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 11:46:10 PM »

Oh yeah, if you don't want to wait... you can always copy over the botfiles from the updated pak4.pk3 (The last patch they released, after agreeing to iD's license of course) and just drop in any bot you have (Say the GW Bush + Al Gore bots from political arena).  It's quasi legal for people that don't own a copy of q3a to do that, at least there is nothing that I can see in their license that prevents it.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:55:08 AM »

That's up to the end user's risk though, not us.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: